Why become a member? ×

A tuning question.

ChrisF

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1344545519' post='1766359']
yup....loads :D .... seriously..I want a deep thudding bass[/quote]

Amp will sort that out :)

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1344545519' post='1766359']
think...Restless (one for the older members there ;) ) or Charlie Hightone or Mystery Gang[/quote]

ermmm.. I'm one of the older one that remember Restless.. in fact I've been to several of their final farewell tours :)

In my limited experience ( and hearing how I've gone on after having lessons) if you work on your sound and tone unamplified then the lift you get from being [i]well[/i] amplified is a bonus. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out), a polished turd is still a turd. :)

Have fun

Steve

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1344638692' post='1767602']
Now, get that bass tuned up! lol
[/quote]

Think Ive sorted it...rather than prop the tuner up infront of me and put the bass infront of it, I have used an elastic band to attach the tuner to the bridge....tuning is going much better. All tuned up B) ..and off to a mates for a jam later today.

All I can say is......WOW!!! B) B)

great jam session.....ran through a few songs out of our set that we actually like...Lights Out...Brand New Cadillac (dropped by our glorious leader, but we like it ) and a couple of others...and even wrote our first song...well the tune..still no words yet.

The thumping beat of the upright made such a difference to how everything sounded....I took the bass guitar too, but after the first run through of Lights Out I didnt touch it again....the DB sounds better..and its much more fun to play. :D

I know I have a long,long way to go..and I have the horrible feeling that Im actually going to have to learn scales :angry: but damn it..Im having soooooo much fun. :D

Oh..and the Innovation Psycho Slaps are very,very good....sound wise and playability wise .....9 out of 10...would have been 10 out of 10 if they came in different colours...blood red..electric blue or dark green maybe.

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1344705287' post='1768215']
I have the horrible feeling that Im actually going to have to learn scales :angry: green maybe.
[/quote]

Surely that's true of any instrument? (OK, apart from anything percussive!)

Sounds like the tuning issue has disappeared and there was no strings snapped... great to hear you had fun and that no "mild peril" was encountered :)

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1344708180' post='1768267']
Surely that's true of any instrument? (OK, apart from anything percussive!)

Sounds like the tuning issue has disappeared and there was no strings snapped... great to hear you had fun and that no "mild peril" was encountered :)
[/quote]

Well I must admit..I thought I could get away without learning scales..I thought that they were just for posh people that use a bow :blush: ;) ..my plan was....well Im not really sure what my plan was.......but I will knuckle down and really get practicing now that theres no danger of losing an eye to a snapping string :yarr:

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1344713414' post='1768357']
Well I must admit..I thought I could get away without learning scales..I thought that they were just for posh people that use a bow :blush: ;) ..[/quote]

Ummm... no, they are available to everyone. There's some useful stuff on here [url="http://www.studybass.com/"]http://www.studybass.com/[/url] You may be surprised how much you already know :)

• 2 weeks later...

lol....its going pretty well, thanks.

Ive stopped treating the bass as a percussion instrument...mostly ;) :D And Im hoping to get together with Daf Lewis sometime soon......so he can probably tell me that Im doing everything wrong :blush:

Although...the strings are about 10mm from the finger board....which seems to be about the average on here, but Im having a bit of trouble being consistent when playing fast, but I assume thats down to technique...or rather the lack of it.

Still struggling to get my head around scales....they are just soooooo boring...and I cant really see the point to them, but Im trying.

String height is such a personal thing that it's pointless saying "the perfect height for <insert your favourite brand here> strings is XXmm". Everyone has different length fingers, slightly different playing positions. etc. For me, I just rest my hand over each string so that the string lies inside the joint of my fingers and when my fingertips just touch the fingerboard, that's MY perfect string height.. and I've never measured it.. At that height though, I can grab a good fistful if necessary, but the strings are low enough to prevent accidentally knotting my fingers underneath... and that can really hurt!

Don't know if this helps you, but it certainly helped me.. If you're playing something fast, keep your right hand as close as possible to the strings at all times.. Keep the movement in the wrist, not the shoulder or elbow. Playing fast is not easy if you've got your entire arm flailing about - it uses energy unnecessarily, and your muscles will stop loving you.

As long as you know a major, minor and 7th scales, you should be on good footing to string some runs together - you can learn/discover others as you go. One good thing about the instrument though is that, if you learn the "patterns" that the scales can use, then those patterns are the same, regardless of key, so you don't have to know the name of every note in the scale every time you play it... just stay within the patterns.

Hmmmm...my strings seem to be pretty much at the same height as yours. I can get my fingers into the same position as your mentioned...so I assume its just a lack of technique on my part.

I will definitely try your tip about moving the hand rather than the whole arm..cheers.

Thanks for the advice on the scales...I will persevere.

Got the mic today.....so later Im gonna annoy all my neighbours, not just the close ones :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

An update for those who care :D

We had a great practice session last night.

Although I had horrendous feed back unless I stood about 20 feet from the amp, so Im going to have a go at making some F hole covers.

Also....although the psycho slaps are good strings...I keep wondering what the ones that Thomann sent me are like...so Im going to put one or two on and see how they sound.

Still havent managed to get together with Daf Lewis....my fault not his.....mainly due to my schedule and finances, but I will do it sooner rather than later before I pick up too many bad habits :blush:

What pick up do you have on? If it's a piezo type mounted in your bridge wing, like my K&K, it may not be snug enough. I use a clarinet reed as a shim to make sure that it is making contact properly and I don't really have any feedback problems. I played yesterday at an event with backline provided which was VERY loud and had no problems at all stood about 6' away from the cab. The worst I ever get is open strings ringing out if I don't damp them.

I'd take a look at your pickup positioning/fit and experiment with that to start with - and free!