Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor

pobrien_ie

I used one for quite a while (still have it, if anyone needs one!).

I used to go heavy on the low compression (between 2 & 4 o'clock), and light on the high (10 c'clock-ish). Adjust the input until it clips, then dial it back a touch. EQ at 12 o'clock. And output at full.

I used it mainly to clean up the low end and brighten up the highs and add sustain. This was when I had quite a 'muddy' sounding rig and I couldn't get rid of the boom without it.

Also, experiment with it in front of the pre amp, and after it (FX loop) - you'll get surprisingly different effects. I preferred it in front.
And my last suggestion would be - to play around with the settings and don't expect it to behave as you'd expect! Sometimes doing the reverse of what you think is logical achieves the required result.

Edit - I do remember that I added quite a bit of right-hand finger noise with these settings. But that was a small compromise for the clarity that the SMX added.

Edited by sixdegrees

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1343774631' post='1755209']
I had one many moons ago and didn't think it was all that great. I seem to remember it was a bit of a tone-sucker.
[/quote]

i have to admit i tried very hard to like mine, but sold it in the end for similar reasons.

ymmv to the OP of course

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1343778816' post='1755267']
i have to admit i tried very hard to like mine, but sold it in the end for similar reasons.

ymmv to the OP of course
[/quote]

I definitely did feel like moving it on recently, but the suggsted settings mentioned by sixdegrees just seemed to work for me. Admittedly, I didn't mess around with it too much before that. I can see how they wouldn't be to everyone's liking though.

It's also helping clear the muddiness I felt there was in my BDI-21 signal. Still a bit of tweaking to do but it's sounding better to me.

The only issue it now raises is that my boss overdrive pedal is sounding very overdriven. I had it set to give me a classic rock style overdrive, think Smoke on the Water, but now it's much more modern and bright sounding...which isn't really the sound I'm going for. I can't seem to get it to revert to the sound I had. Perhaps this is just a signal chain issue....it's currently sitting after the compressor.

Well the thing with the ODB-3 (I assume that's what you're using?) is that it has a 'fizz' to it that some people like and some people dont. I imagine with the Compressor set the way you have it, it's picking up those higher frequency characteristics. Just experiment with the settings on the ODB-3 I guess? Or maybe experiment with different overdrives to try to get a sound that you're happy with.

Dont forget, effects need to work for you. You shouldnt have to compromise your sound or your playing to accomodate characteristics of various pedals. If its not working for you, move it on!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1343817903' post='1755586']
Well the thing with the ODB-3 (I assume that's what you're using?) is that it has a 'fizz' to it that some people like and some people dont. I imagine with the Compressor set the way you have it, it's picking up those higher frequency characteristics. Just experiment with the settings on the ODB-3 I guess? Or maybe experiment with different overdrives to try to get a sound that you're happy with.

Dont forget, effects need to work for you. You shouldnt have to compromise your sound or your playing to accomodate characteristics of various pedals. If its not working for you, move it on!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yeah that's a fair point. I'd prefer to have my sound adequately compressed firstly and work from there. It is the ODB-3..just couldn't remeber the code off the top of my head ;)

As I've started a few posts recently you can probably see I'm relatively new to the world of effects...well maybe that should be new to the world of being anal about my effects :D. I've finally got a bass I'm happy with sound-wise (P Bass) after years of using different basses, so now I want to get my effects working for me or else ditch them!

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and opinions....all much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

How are you getting on with the compressor now Mr O'Brien?

After commenting on this thread I decided to dig mine out and use it for a gig over the weekend!
I fell in love with it again for certain numbers, but I didn't like the 'clank' it added when playing 8th notes with fingers on the driving rock stuff. However, it did make the upper register stuff easier to play as the volume across the fretboard felt/sounded much more even.

Our guitarist even said I 'stole the show' on a couple of songs (yes, that's right - a compliment from a guitarist when the attention was taken away from him!).
I also found at gave an instantly usable slap tone, with no EQ tweaking necessary.
Now to experiment by adding my other pedals (including an ODB-3) to the chain and see how it reacts...

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1343746002' post='1754521']
Anybody out there using one of these old things?

I've had mine for a while and I'm not sure how impressed I am with it.

Can anybody suggest some useful settings that I can work from?
[/quote]

I had one for years and years and the best setting was with just the low compression on set at 11' oclock and the red tone knob between 1 and 2 o clock and then play with the input and output to match the uneffected volume because once off it is not a true bypass pedal as in those days they were still unheard of. It's an analog pedal don't forget so you need to play with it a bit to get it to your satisfaction, but it was good for the time, I then invested in a Markbass Compressore which commits the SMX to Room 101. RIP! ;)

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1345418346' post='1777397']
How are you getting on with the compressor now Mr O'Brien?

After commenting on this thread I decided to dig mine out and use it for a gig over the weekend!
I fell in love with it again for certain numbers, but I didn't like the 'clank' it added when playing 8th notes with fingers on the driving rock stuff. However, it did make the upper register stuff easier to play as the volume across the fretboard felt/sounded much more even.

Our guitarist even said I 'stole the show' on a couple of songs (yes, that's right - a compliment from a guitarist when the attention was taken away from him!).
I also found at gave an instantly usable slap tone, with no EQ tweaking necessary.
Now to experiment by adding my other pedals (including an ODB-3) to the chain and see how it reacts...
[/quote]

Hi. Liking the pedal a lot. I'm using your suggested settings and have got some comments on the clarity and punchiness of my sound...although they were from guitarists, the positive feedback shouldn't be discontinued!!!

The only downside is the finger noise you mentioned. This is something I struggled with anyway even before you gave me the advice, so working on overcoming this. The strangest thing happened last weekend though....after bathing my baby I noticed there was no finger noise (with or without pedal) when I picked up the bass. Perhaps softer fingertips or something! Bizarre...or maybe John Deacon was on to something!!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1345472018' post='1777814']
I had one for years and years and the best setting was with just the low compression on set at 11' oclock and the red tone knob between 1 and 2 o clock and then play with the input and output to match the uneffected volume because once off it is not a true bypass pedal as in those days they were still unheard of. It's an analog pedal don't forget so you need to play with it a bit to get it to your satisfaction, but it was good for the time, I then invested in a Markbass Compressore which commits the SMX to Room 101. RIP! ;)
[/quote]

I'm certainly open to trying new settings, although those suggested by sixdegrees are working really well for me.

I actually use this as an always-on effect, so matching the dry signal is not an issue. As a matter of interest, do you recall experiencing the same finger noise issue when using the effect?

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1345549224' post='1778625']
I'm certainly open to trying new settings, although those suggested by sixdegrees are working really well for me.

I actually use this as an always-on effect, so matching the dry signal is not an issue. As a matter of interest, do you recall experiencing the same finger noise issue when using the effect?
[/quote]

Not that I remember to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1345503091' post='1778381']
The only downside is the finger noise you mentioned. This is something I struggled with anyway even before you gave me the advice, so working on overcoming this. The strangest thing happened last weekend though....after bathing my baby I noticed there was no finger noise (with or without pedal) when I picked up the bass. Perhaps softer fingertips or something! Bizarre...or maybe John Deacon was on to something!!
[/quote]

re finger noise - it's a basic result of compression that finger noise will be 'enhanced' since the overall effect is to reduce the level difference between the loud bits and the quiet bits ( technical terms :-)
A compressor with adjustable attack / release times will allow you to influence the exact nature of this but it's an unavoidable consequence.

Softer fingers are likely to reduce the amount finger noise produced - think about how much 'string/contact' noise you can get using a coin or metal plectrum. Different strings will also produce different amounts of finger noise - not just whether roundwound / groundwound / pressure wound / flats but also the material, finishing and winding geometry.

To seriously remove finger noise that is produced (without simple eq that will give a duller overall sound) you can use a further compressor with an equalised sidechain to target offending frequencies or a dedicated 'de-esser' more usually used for vocals but can be tuned to the relevant frequencies.
Not so easy for a pedal type setup but worth investigating digitally on computer DAW at least ?

Also, specific to the Trace Elliot SMX compressor pedals - worth noting these are not all equal in sound. I had two at one point courtesy of ebay. Noticed one sounded better than the other. Better one turned out to hav a Rev3 pcb while the other had a Rev2. I have the schematic somewhere but I couldn't relate it to any differences Rev2 pcb cf Rev3.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

i read a few of these posts from 2012. It's now coming to the end of 2015 so I hope this is still valid.
After reading this thread I realised that my use of the SMX is almost completely the opposite of everyone else here
but i get a great sound from my Jazz bass so I thought I'd share how I use my SMX.

It's true the SMX rolls off a little off the tops and bottoms, some call this' tone suck' but i see it as a useful tool that adds an analog quality to the otherwise hifi sound I go for.

As for the actual compression settings:
I set the central EQ control just below 12 o'clock.
The low compressor, which stays on throughout a gig, is set to between 2 and 3 o'clock it's high but not maxed out, it adds punch without an overwhelming boom. Gives a powerful in-your-face presence.
I have the high compressor on extreme, almost maxed out, up full it doesn't violently squash, I think the even the highest ratio of compression is milder than some other pedals out there.
I switch the high compression on and off during the course of a performance.
For finger style it's on. It holds everything in with a tight punchy high end quality, holds the dynamics in place but doesn't totally flatten them
When thumping and popping the high compression is off, this allows those snappy dynamics through without the annoying swallowing of the highs you usually get from single band compressors.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1346847436' post='1793940']
Also, specific to the Trace Elliot SMX compressor pedals - worth noting these are not all equal in sound. I had two at one point courtesy of ebay. Noticed one sounded better than the other. Better one turned out to hav a Rev3 pcb while the other had a Rev2. I have the schematic somewhere but I couldn't relate it to any differences Rev2 pcb cf Rev3.
[/quote]... that is interesting..! i wonder which one I'm using..