Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pickups for a Jazz bass

Rammstein2012

Looks like I'll be the first to point you in the direction of [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]Wizard Pickups[/url]. I haven't used the Jazz ones yet but I used a P-bass Trad on my bitsa project and it sounds really good, so when funds allow I'm planning to get a set for my Squier Jazz.

I'm interested in this thread too. I recently bought back my fretless MIM jazz that I sold 8 years ago. I was feeling a bit nostalgic more than anything, but now I have it back I remember how well it played, although the pickups seem to lacking a small bit in output now.

I was looking at the Fender reissue '62 pickups or custom shop 60's pickups, mainly due to how much I like the '62 P bass pickups I bought recently.

Will follow this with interest...

So far i have tried:

SD Basslines Quarterpounders
Fender Custom Shop 60s
Wizard 64s
Lollar

Of course its all down to taste. I love the Lollars - the most defined Jazz Bass sound i have ever had. They are on a Hamer Cruise Bass which is like a Jazz bass but made properly ;)

these are what im looking at at the moment, althought the wizard ones look ok too

http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/pickups-pickup-parts/pickups/bartolini-pickups/bartolini-pickup-set-for-j-bass-9j1-bright-neck-deep-bridge-p-1946.html

and this one too, but i get the set
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-quarter-pound-for-jazz-bass-sjb-3n

Depends what sound you're after, my MIJ 62 reissue had active EMGs when I got it, sounded more refined and hifi, but a bit sterile... sounding more like a Super Jazz.

It's now got Fender Original Vintage in and it's got that traditional agricultural Fender sound back, and with plenty of ooomph... but that might not be what you're after.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343836683' post='1756080']
Why do you want to replace the stock pick ups?
[/quote]

+1

What do you feel they lack. Punch, sizzle, clarity etc. It makes it easier for people to give you advice when they know what you're looking for.

I just bought a set of 64 wizards which have a good traditional woody vintage Jazz sound. They replaced a set of DiMarzio model J pickups because they were too dark and bassy for me (sounded very precision like). The best Jazz pickups I've owned were taken from a Japanese nineties Squier and they are now sitting in my other Jazz. They have the best of both worlds with a good balance of bass and mids (I wish I could find another set that sounded like that).

Edited by gjones

[u]Wilkinsons are very good & great value - although the stock ones on recent MIM's are really good. I was advised by a guitar doc that although he'd gladly do it & set everything up( & make some money) - it probably wouldn't make much difference.[/u]

[u]BTW - the guitarist & drummer in my band think the MIM jazz is the best sounding bass they've heard!!![/u]

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1343839427' post='1756151']
Lindy Fralins are awsome... didnt really like Lollars.. lovely pickup but a bit smooth for my taste... Fender Vintage USA pups are also very good....
[/quote]

+1 on the Lindy Fralins. I have them in my Geddy Jazz and they are brilliant

[quote name='Rammstein2012' timestamp='1343842131' post='1756218']
sorry yes i should have said.
im looking for something with a bit more punch. if possible a bit more bottom end and a nice punch in the mids
[/quote]

I have to say I bought a John East J retro for my main Jazz and it could make the worst pickups in the world sound great. You can tweak it until you get exactly the sound you want. About the same price as a pair of Lindy Fralins.

I found mid 90's mex fender pups loud but a little thin and wasn't impressed. I found mid 00's US fender pups not as loud but had much more definition in the mids and a certan top end sparkle. That was too polite for me so I bought Wizard 84's which are overwound, they lost most of the top end sparkle and replaced it with a deeper voice. I'm happy where I am now but that's not to say I've bought my last ever pair of jazz pickups.

My advice would be to try any pups take your fancy, maybe second hand from this site, but keep the originals so you can return the guitar to stock if you want to move it on.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1343841111' post='1756194'] +1 on the Lindy Fralins. I have them in my Geddy Jazz and they are brilliant [/quote]

I have a Geddy Jazz too and just wondering why you changed your pick ups.

I'm pretty sure i'm getting a loss of depth when i push the bass at full volume on bass. ?

Seriously considering changing but not sure what too.
I like a full bodied tone with depth and a nice mid punch.

Dave