Why become a member? ×

bring me your tired, your poor, your hungry and ... your drummers...

lowdowner

Talking to a bass playing friend, I found out that he had recently taken a few drum lessons (well, 4 to be precise) and explained that he thought it important to know how 'they work' so he could lock in better.

So is this common? Do many bassists try out drumming? If you have, do you think it has been useful to your bass playing?

i used to have a drumkit in my teens, many complaints from neighbours and realisation i wasnt gonna be ginger baker forced me back to bass playing thinking i might be jack bruce that didnt happen either but theres been less complaints so all is good but not sure if it taught me much about lockin in!i think its good to be different and experiment with music

I used to always get behind the drums during breaks in band practises, and get the drummer to show me some stuff. I don't know if it improved my bass playing - probably not - but it did improve my drumming. :D

It also makes it easier to communicate with the drummer when writing and arranging songs, and when recording, etc. It's generally a good thing to have an understanding of other instruments.

I started out as a drummer actually, did it for years until a car smash wrecked my hip. So I took up the bass instead, 2 drum kits have been in the loft ever since. Shame really, after 10 years I might be tempted to get them set up and have a go :)

I don't play on our drummers kit in practices any more, I did once and he said "bloody hell I'm the Ringo in this band aren't I?" the guitard said "why? can you sing as well?" :rolleyes:

I played drums too. I do think it does help a bit. As you probably know, when you play an instrument, you naturally follow it a bit more (e.g. when you're at a gig, you can pick out what the bass is doing easier if you play) which is obviously a good thing.

It's not vital, but it does help. Same as playing guitar will help you understand what they're playing and how to fit in.

Drums was the first instrument I ever dabbled with - I love playing them now whenever I get the chance and recently picked up a cheap electric kit to get some extra practice in.

I think the drumming informs my bass playing, guitar and songwriting in a big way - makes me extremely conscious of rhythm and how everything fits around it.

I think learning more about music in any form can only be a good thing, and picking up another instrument can inspire your playing in new directions - give it a try!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343852039' post='1756434']So is this common? Do many bassists try out drumming? If you have, do you think it has been useful to your bass playing?[/quote]
Yes. The likes of Billy Sheehan and Geddy Lee play, and that's McCartney drumming on the "Band On The Run" album. Very much so, as well as guitar playing and songwriting.

I think it makes a lot of sense, really. I haven't tried my hand at drumming but I went to a couple of masterclasses (one of them by Billy Cobham) at my music school when I was studying bass, and loved them. For a bassist, I think it does help to know how a drummer "functions", so to speak.