Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 2, 3, or 4 Pro

Bassdriver

I have a valve amp coming. That much has been decided. All that remains is to work out which one. I considered a Mesa Bass 400+ but there don't seem to be any about for sale at the moment. There are lots of Ampegs though. I'm considering either SVT 2, 3 or 4 Pro heads and would appreciate some pointers as to how they all compare soundwise and also how they'd suit my cabs.

I have 2 Vanderkley MNT 1x12 600w 8ohm cabs. I never had a valve amp before but I understand that 300w of valve amp sounds louder than 300w of solid state. If my speakers are 600w each is a 300w valve amp going to give them enough power to work effectively. Is it that the 300 valve watts actually drive the speaker harder than a 300w ss amp would or is the difference more in the way the sound is perceived by the listener? In short the question I have is, will a 300w valve amp be enough to power my 2 600w cabs. I'm guessing not so presumably the SVT 3 Pro, having a ss power amp would not be up to the job so I should discount that from my list. THe SVT 2 might if a valve amp actually drives the speakers harder. The SVT 4 Pro would be plenty powerful but how much difference is there in the sound from this ss power amp and the valve power amp in the SVT 2? If the SVT 2 would drive the cabs efficiently would I get a more valvey tone from that rather than the SVT 4?

I'll be most grateful for any advice offered.

Edited by Bassdriver

Huge and heavy is cool with me. My cabs are small and light to compensate :-) It was the power aspect with the 2 that concerned me. Will a 300w valve amp drive 2 600w cabs properly?

I got to play with a 3 through an 8x10 at a festival gig the other week and really liked it. Great sound straight away, no messing about tweaking the graphic. I really wanted to go all valve though so the 2 would be ideal if it'll handle the speakers ok.

I read somewhere Ampeg had moved production from the US to Korea sometime around 2007 and the Korean models are not as good as the US ones. Do you know if there's any truth to that?

Played around with a 2 and 4 and owned a 3. Wouldn't touch anything other than the 2.

2 is a great amp, but the other two really don't do it for me, particularly the SVT 3. I had an American made one. Never got a tone I truly loved and always felt it was underpowered. That said, loads of people absolutely love them so if you can get hands on with them and have a play that's probably the best. With Ampeg's market saturation it shouldn't be too difficult to find some in stores :) .

On a slightly different note as a Mesa 400+ owner I really would consider holding out on one of these popping up, it honestly is the best thing I've ever heard and was certainly worth the wait :) . Weighs a freaking tonne and I dread the day that I need to retube it but worth it non the less :) .

Also heard good things about the orange head (the AD200? think that's it) , however never heard one or been hands on with one. May be worth looking at if you want to go all valve.

Happy hunting!

Ash

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1343869259' post='1756742']
On a slightly different note as a Mesa 400+ owner I really would consider holding out on one of these popping up, it honestly is the best thing I've ever heard and was certainly worth the wait :) . Weighs a freaking tonne and I dread the day that I need to retube it but worth it non the less :) .
[/quote]

Few retubes worth for cheap here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-5881-Marshall-Valves-VLVE-00083-26-08-5881-6L6WGC-STR-/320956830344?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4aba849288

I've played the 3 and 4 pro and IME the 4pro is a more versatile amp. I wouldn't worry about country of origin, most people dont have a clue where their amps or guitars come from in general and just jump on the slating bandwagon. Korea has been producing fine equipment for years.

Have you looked at any SWR heads? They're a great option if you're planning on spending that ammount of cash.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343868600' post='1756740']
Why Ampeg specifically? There's lots of other things out there.
[/quote]

I’m not limiting myself to them. I’m just impatient and curious and want to play with something valvey now. There are quite a few Ampegs about for sale here and on Ebay so I thought I may as well start my valve journey there rather than waiting around for a V6 or Bass 400+ or whatever. Both of those seem highly regarded but hard to come by. I’m edging towards the SVT Pro 2 now. If I like it, great. If not I can get rid and see about getting something else.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343868600' post='1756740']
Watts on cabs are meaningless btw.
[/quote]

How do you mean? Are the ratings misleading or is it more like you can run whatever amp you want through any speaker (assuming the impedance is right for the amp) as long as you’re careful not to drive the speaker beyond its limits? A 1200w amp would soon fry a 300w speaker if you ran it at full tilt but up to a point the speaker would cope just fine...?

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1343936979' post='1757678']

Have you looked at any SWR heads?
[/quote]

I used to have a 350w solid state SWR head before I got my EA gear. I forget what cab I had with it. There was nothing wrong with it but I didn't find it very inspiring so I don't really feel drawn to another.

I had a svt2 & 4, I found the 4 to be a great amp a bit underpowered compared to the rating, The Svt2 was the worst valve amp I owned so heavy and uninspiring compared to my 400+ and my old V6, StraightSix has a V6 up for sale you will not believe the tone that baby puts out into the Barefaced cab he has, Pure bliss and he's a great guy to deal with.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1343940322' post='1757738']
I had a svt2 & 4, I found the 4 to be a great amp a bit underpowered compared to the rating, The Svt2 was the worst valve amp I owned so heavy and uninspiring compared to my 400+ and my old V6, StraightSix has a V6 up for sale you will not believe the tone that baby puts out into the Barefaced cab he has, Pure bliss and he's a great guy to deal with.
[/quote]

Cool! I was looking at a V6 a while ago but it was in Poland and I was dubious about having it shipped over, not to mention the cost of said shipping.

Not seen any on here recently. Does StraightSix have it posted here?

I'm off to have a look...

[quote name='Bassdriver' timestamp='1343939611' post='1757720']
How do you mean? Are the ratings misleading or is it more like you can run whatever amp you want through any speaker (assuming the impedance is right for the amp) as long as you’re careful not to drive the speaker beyond its limits? A 1200w amp would soon fry a 300w speaker if you ran it at full tilt but up to a point the speaker would cope just fine...?
[/quote]

They don't bear any relation to any of those things. A 1200w amp can soon fry a 300w speaker if you are stupid with it, but a 200w amp can also fry a 300w speaker if you are stupid with it, because the point a speaker breaks from abuse isn't related to the watt rating. The first breaking limit for a speaker is the excursion limit, which is determined by the speaker and cab, and excursion is caused by voltage from the amp not wattage. Watt ratings on speakers don't tell you anything useful.

[quote name='Bassdriver' timestamp='1343939440' post='1757714']
I’m not limiting myself to them. I’m just impatient and curious and want to play with something valvey now. There are quite a few Ampegs about for sale here and on Ebay so I thought I may as well start my valve journey there rather than waiting around for a V6 or Bass 400+ or whatever. Both of those seem highly regarded but hard to come by. I’m edging towards the SVT Pro 2 now. If I like it, great. If not I can get rid and see about getting something else.
[/quote]

Think there is a V6 in for sale right now. Also bunches of other valve amps, ampegs don't tend to be very good deals due to the expensive badge. Much more choice if you don't suggest limits from the start.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I had a 3PRO. Great sounding amp, once I`d found the sound I wanted from it. In fact, because of all the tone-shifting options, if anything, it was too versatile, in the fact that i found it easy to find so many sounds I didn`t want. But, once I found the sound I wanted - great. Not overly powerful mind, not lacking, but not blisteringly loud either.

The SVT 2 is the best ive ever heard in a live situation, im sure dood would still have his... If they didnt weigh as much as a house! There weere a couple on here for around the £700 mark, which is a good price for these beasts. The Mesa 400+ is a cracking amp as well, hard to say which is "best"... Id probably say the SVT 2 pleases my ears more.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343901850' post='1756964']
Few retubes worth for cheap here: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-5881-Marshall-Valves-VLVE-00083-26-08-5881-6L6WGC-STR-/320956830344?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4aba849288"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4aba849288[/url]
[/quote]

Amazing, thank you

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1343976691' post='1757972']
The SVT 2 is the best ive ever heard in a live situation, im sure dood would still have his... If they didnt weigh as much as a house! There weere a couple on here for around the £700 mark, which is a good price for these beasts. The Mesa 400+ is a cracking amp as well, hard to say which is "best"... Id probably say the SVT 2 pleases my ears more.
[/quote]the

Always hard to say which is best. I think the best amp is the one that sounds best to you, which might not be the same one that sounds best to the next player. The only way is to try as many different ones as you can.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1344006027' post='1758621']
have you given any thought to marshalls vba400?

i loved mine but it it was heavy.now im happy with the streamliner
[/quote]

I hadn't no. I have a preconception (probably totally wrong) about Marshall gear, that it's geared more towards rock than anything else. I'm more funk, jazz, reggae. How would a Marshall suit those?