Why become a member? ×

My New Ashdown ABM-500 RC EVO II blew up!!!

bj_rocke

[quote name='Oxblood' post='37713' date='Jul 27 2007, 11:49 AM']I always wondered what "RC" stood for in the name of these current products. Does it stand for "Republic of China", by any chance?[/quote]

[b]R[/b]educed [b]C[/b]osts -> [b]R[/b]ather [b]C[/b]rappy, [b]R[/b]eally [b]C[/b]heap [b]R[/b]otten [b]C[/b]omponents -> [b]R[/b]idiculous [b]C[/b]raftsmanship -> [b]R[/b]esult: [b]C[/b]haos, [b]R[/b]epair [b]C[/b]ostly.

Then again, maybe it really stands for Republic of China... :)

[quote name='Oxblood' post='37713' date='Jul 27 2007, 10:49 AM']I'm convinced that it's all down to poor Quality Control in the far eastern production facility. It certainly isn't the design: that was done by Clive Button, no less:[/quote]
I don't know.... It's easy to blame the Chinese, but IBM shifted their entire PC operation to China with no apparent dip in quality and Phil Jones makes his high quality amps in China. At the end of the day, if the Chinese are at fault the blame and responsibility is totally Ashdown's.

Unfortunately, Ashdown's market place is driven by cost. That's why they went to China in the first place. They fix a unit price and make the amp to that price. The result is that corners are inevitably trimmed, components are brought by price not quality, and the manufacturing process is designed to use the fewest components. Then quality can suffer because turnover has become the key driver for the business.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='22203' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:25 PM']I owned Ashdown gear before it went East and I have to say that I had a mute button that didn't, a VU meter that meant 'virtually useless' and tolex covering that came off quicker than a fat lasses knickers down the Bigg Market (Newcastle) on a Saturday night![/quote]

Most of the fat lasses my er 'mate' has met dont even bother with the knickers these days......

I've had my EVO II ABM 500 for 4 years now and it hasn't let me down once!!!
The worst problems I've had are the mute button falling off, (Ashdown sent me a loada spares FOC), and recently the VU meter bulb went (again Ashdown sent me two replacement bulbs FOC), not bad for 3 - 4 gigs a week!!

Si

Edited by Sibob

gonna say what i have said before but there seems to be a down trend in problems with ashy stuff, maybe just maybe there were a few teething prblems with the contract change. but to be honest most manufactureres are going to send out dogs occasionally.
mine is fine. does the job, if it goes wrong so be it, i'll get it fixed.
electrical equipment will on occasions fail, much like some peopel will fall over dead before most think they should, ce la vie.

[quote name='bj_rocke' post='19359' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:47 PM']Just bought a brand new Ashdown ABM-500 RC EVO II and i used it today in practise for the first time. It was fine for about 15mins, then there was a really strong burning smell and the amp just shut down and won't turn on again!!!!

Very weird! does anyone know why this might of happened? I wasn't driving the amp that hard.... the input was at about 9 o'clock and the VU meter was no where near the red, and the output volume was at 12 o'clock......[/quote]

Same thing (sort of) has just happened to my NEW ABM-500 EVO II combo amp!!! in the middle of a gig!! There was a strong burning smell and the amp cut out. I still had power and i was getting an input signal (according to the V.U.) but no fecking sound! Up untill that point the amp sounded superb, i couldn't of been happier....

Edited by hookys6stringbass

MB1. :)
Must admit they are extremely helpful when things do go wrong but..............
It would seem that sending a shipment of parts and assembly instructions to China has not been Ashdowns greatest move.I have not had any problems with my Ashdown Amplification.However i cannot say the same for there pedals ,which are made in the republic of China,I have just returned a defective chorus ,so i would say cheap is not cheerful!.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up on this thread.
I always wonder why so many name players, especially in a band play Ashdown gear.
Some of these guys can get any endorsement they like, so why Ashdown ? The Who (past tense), U2, Foo Fighters, Oasis etc. !

By the way my ABM EVO 500 RC II is great.

Edited by largo