Why become a member? ×

Combined electric piano/synth

Wil

Does such a thing exist? With the ability to split the keyboard between the two?

Basically, I love the Fender Rhodes sound for melody lines, and I love the sound of sawtooth analogue synth pads for backing, so I'd really like a unit that can do both at once (split synth on the left, rhodes on the right). Anyone know of anything that can do this?

I had a wee play on a Roland Juno Stage a few weeks ago. It has some great piano & synth sounds & you can split & layer sounds very easily on it too.

Depends on what all you want the thing to do & what your budget is.

Potentially up to a grand, ideally far less though ;)

I know a bit about synthesis, I've spent a fair bit of time mucking about with emulated analogue synths but the only synth I've owned was a microkorg (which was quickly sold - I found the interface clunky and the sounds were very digital, and lacked "oomph" for want of a better word).

I'd really like a convincing Rhodes sound (I'm sorely tempted by the Nord Electro series for the hammond and Rhodes alone but they lack the synth and ability to split organ and piano together)

Also, small form factor/light weight/portability is a big plus for this lazy person.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1344510191' post='1765592']
I'd really like a convincing Rhodes sound (I'm sorely tempted by the Nord Electro series for the hammond and Rhodes alone but they lack the synth and ability to split organ and piano together)
[/quote]

In my experience this is the exception rather than the norm for synths. Roland always have a compreshensive interface and even the Juno Di has basic splitting functionality. The other option is to get a dedicated sound module and control it with a keyboard that can split its controls into different midi channels.

I'd rather have an intergrated hardware solution, otherwise it's just too much stuff to carry to rehearsals really (I'll be using the synth along with my guitar, effects and AC30).

Lots of suggestions for me to check out here anyways, a trip to PMT may be in order.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1344519404' post='1765846']
The main thing I worry about is the rhodes/electric piano sounding authentic (and not having that horrible digital electric piano tone when played softly, you know the one, the sort you hear on the Simpsons :P )
[/quote]

Even "authenticity" is subjective. You only need to listen to how many different Fender Rhodes sounds there are on 70s albums to realise that every player has a different idea of what sounds good. The only way for you to find the right modern substitute for you is to play them all and listen. All we can do is give you a range of keyboards to try.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344522380' post='1765906']
Even "authenticity" is subjective. You only need to listen to how many different Fender Rhodes sounds there are on 70s albums to realise that every player has a different idea of what sounds good. The only way for you to find the right modern substitute for you is to play them all and listen. All we can do is give you a range of keyboards to try.
[/quote]

^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^

There can be massive difference between authentic and good sounding. You will also have to (I'm assuming) find something that fits in the mix of your current musical venture. Something absolutely authentic to your ears just might not fit in with your sound.

Start trying stuff out and, more importantly, start reporting back!

Edited by Commando Jack

Perhaps authentic was a poor choice of words... I like the Rhodes sound Radiohead get, I think they use a Mark 2, but it doesnt have to be exactly like that.

I just want to avoid the overly nice, slightly clinical electric piano tone that up until fairly recently I think most digital pianos seemed to have, you know, "Mr Plough, that's my name..."

At the moment I play on an M-Audio Sono 61 into my AC30. It sounds ok, but it's still not quite there, and the keyboard action is very... keyboardy.

The whole synth and splitting thing is really an afterthought for me, the more I think about it the more important it is to have a great e-piano sound and great action (for my own personal enjoyment rather than any required musical function in my band). The rest is secondary.

Edited by Wil

Remember also that a lot of the "sound" of one of those old electric pianos is the technique of the player. In may ways it's just like playing the guitar or bass - it's a mechanical device with pickups to amplify the sound. Also the keyboard on a modern synth (or even one of the digital piano recreations) won't feel the same as a Rhodes because it doesn't have the same tactile feedback.

I'm watching to see what you go for as I'm looking for something too. Interested in a workstation like the Yamaha MOX8, Korg M50 or a 2nd hand M3, but I could quite happily use my mac for the sequencing side of things so I'm also looking at the Roland Juno Stage & the Nord Electro 3 73 key.

The Korg SV-1 might be up your street though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_BPiScinrk