Why become a member? ×

Potential Sound Control Ripp Off/Scam?

ednaplate

I'm choosing my words carefully here.

Earlier today I went into a local SC store with the intention of purchasing a Fender Jazz. So with said funds in my arse pocket I was perusing their stock and noticed there were still a couple of the now phased out American Series Jazzes in stock at a significantly reduced price. They got my attention and I started talking to a member of staff about a sunburst one that looked the business. I asked him if that was the right price. He said it was as the American Series had now been replaced by the American Standard which I was already well aware of but kept schtum. That was the price for the guitar but the Fender hardshell case was £x extra!!!

For years and years Fenders have been supplied with OHSC and were certainly supplied when I bought my first Fender in the late 80s. It now seems that they want to sell the case as an accessory in order to squeeze as much as they can out of the unsuspecting public. Some people not in the know will be scammed by this so spread the word. Stand your ground and demand the case is supplied with the guitar. If not do as I did turn on your heels and walk out.

On the plus side still feeling a little miffed I nipped into Music Ground in Oxford Rd only to bump into Peter Hook fingering a vintage Shergold bass. He didn't buy it though. It's the creamy coloured one in the stores front window.

Both new and old Fenders are supplied with Fender cases, although the American Standards are now a quality SKB case. The prices for all new Fenders include a case whether it's the American Standard or American Series. What I failed to mention was when I was in Dawsons later a member of staff there said that their price included the case unlike Sound Control. I made no mention of where I had been an hour earlier.

It would be interesting to find out if other forum members have come across this or whether it's something that's being tried on by the Manchester/Salford stores.

I'm still without a Jazz, but I can wait.

Edited by ednaplate

[quote name='ednaplate' post='187464' date='Apr 28 2008, 06:49 PM']I was perusing their stock and noticed there were still a couple of the now phased out American Series Jazzes in stock at a significantly reduced price.[/quote]
Doesn't sound much of a problem to me. I bought my Stingray new without the original case and got it for a bargain price.

The end of run S1 jazz I bought in February had a hard shell case with it.

Incidentally, I spent around 2 hours in SC in Nottingham the other week. The bass chap there was not only a pro player, but highly professional & upon hearing the gear I had, suggested that what I needed was a Precision to complete my bass setup. Good advice! The shop was looking very bare, though.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='189266' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:35 PM']Apparently Sound Control and Turnkey Music went into recievership today.[/quote]

From whence comes this news, any evidence? I only ask as I must have heard the same thing every 6 mths for the last 3 yrs!

re. the original post - you will always get a degree of individualism when dealing with bigger stores. This may have been a misinformed/under-trained member of staff... it equally could have been a ploy to get a bit more revenue for him/the store (do SC work on bonuses etc.?). As has been pointed out it could have been a bargain bin buy out and they may not all have had cases. Saying that you are right in principle that if a bass should have a case and doesn't, then there should be an appropriate reduction on top of any offer of reduction for a bass supplied with case (unless the reason it was cheap was because of no case... I am making sense :) ).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='189559' date='May 1 2008, 10:59 AM']

From whence comes this news, any evidence? I only ask as I must have heard the same thing every 6 mths for the last 3 yrs![/quote]

There are already three threads in 'off topic' about this. There is also one thread on this forum about the same thing. :) Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' post='189763' date='May 1 2008, 02:45 PM']There are already three threads in 'off topic' about this. There is also one thread on this forum about the same thing. :)[/quote]

Yeh I've subsequently seen those and confirmed it in person by phoning SC :huh:

MB1. :)
If they have in fact gone into recievership will the recievers not be selling all there stock off cheaply?
can we expect a Sound Control auction or is this just a cull of certain outlets around the country that havent been doing very well?
.................what did they tell you when you phoned MR Warwickhunt?........Curiouser and Curiouser? :huh:

[quote name='MB1' post='189873' date='May 1 2008, 05:55 PM']MB1. :)
If they have in fact gone into recievership will the recievers not be selling all there stock off cheaply?
can we expect a Sound Control auction or is this just a cull of certain outlets around the country that havent been doing very well?
.................what did they tell you when you phoned MR Warwickhunt?........Curiouser and Curiouser? :huh:[/quote]

I was told that the suits had closed certain stores up and down the country effective immediate and the stores left open were on a 12 week notice of closure should a buyer for the Co. not be found. I asked about a price reduction / sale and he said not as yet but 'keep in touch'!