Why become a member? ×

Boss micro rack series

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

discontinued now . Originally made in the 80's?
I was wondering if they are /were any good.

Has anybody got any here ?

I like the fact that they ate compact enough to fit on my desktop, and look uncomplicated to use .
(unlike my me8b).

On the other side of the coin, I have a line 6 podfarm installed on my mac mini.is it best to forget about boss and stick to that instead?

Cheers

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I had the Pitch Shifter/Delay. It was pretty good, right up to when my mate ran 18v through it and burned out a few tracks on the pcb...

One of these:
[url="http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=4174&lang=0"]http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=4174&lang=0[/url]

The keyboard control was fun.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1344687690' post='1767987']
Yes , thats the thing I'm thinking of. Sorry to hear about the accident. ( they look nice and tidy.
[/quote]

I think the PSD-10 was the most expensive of all the micro racks.

Just remembered another mate had the modulating delay that was brilliant. In fact they were all good really.

There's a few of the 1/2 racks on ebay at the moment. But they're asking more than I'd pay these days.

Not bad, I think I paid around £100 for mine back in the 80s as an end of line clearance.

I've been thinking about how I used mine. With bass I used it for a chorus effect, fine detune and some feedback. Was really nice.
On guitar up and octave, full feedback and you got a great Big Black sounding guitar.

I'm getting tempted again...

Well, since last week, I've won bids on the bay for:Boss RPS -10 pitch shifter delay
RDD-10 digital delay
RCL-10 compressor limiter

Bidding on reverb, and chorus . If I get those , and a rod-10 distortion, that will be it.
Then , there's the small matter of finding a mini rack to put them in. Then a power supply.
After that, I'll sell my Boss me-50 b / 0db 3/ Zoom b2 1 u up for sale on here..phew!)

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since I started this thread. I now have added distortion and flanger to the setup. Just missed out on the phaser, which seems rarest .
Didnt fancy paying£100 +postage for it. However, if it comes around again , I'll grab it.
I sold my boss me 50b a couple of weeks ago.
Still have the me 8 b multi fx which has octave and synth.
Think that will do effects wise ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boss did a dual rack for the micros that'll hold one or two ( side by side ) in a 1u standard case.

Dont know if they're available in the UK though

http://www.pixelproaudio.com/used/other-equipment/used/racks/boss-dual-rack-tray-for-micro-series-2-space-2u-mounting-rack.html#.Uq4XdPuri40

There was also a power supply, but again, finding one in the UK could be tricky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BOSS-RPW-7-POWER-SUPPLY-MICRO-RACK-GUITAR-EFFECTS-POWER-SUPPLY-240V-RPW7-/181271087096?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item2a349947f8

The racks/power supply are hard to find now. eBay I guess. Not too bothered about them. However, I should've picked up the phaser which would have completed my collection. There was one a couple of months ago, but it was going for over£100. I suppose one may come up in the next year or so.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1387141583' post='2308705']
I had the Micro Rack Reverb. It was pretty poor.
[/quote]

I love mine. I use it across the mix when I'm writing stuff, and also use it for things like gated reverbs on individual instruments when recording demos. Certainly not professional quality, but far more flexible than the awful preset Alesis stuff that was around at the same time.