Why become a member? ×

Do I or Dont I? HELP

rockinbassman

[quote name='ped' post='187963' date='Apr 29 2008, 12:17 PM']Otherwise, if the seller cannot arrange a courier, you can do it your end. You can book a collection on a date you specify (possibly a time slot also). You might also consider using a private courier service, i.e a man with a van. It might cost a bit more than driving, but you never know. Even if it does, you can sit on your arse all day.[/quote]

I guess if the seller cant get hold of packing material, boxes etc then that wouldn't work either.

I would assume the seller doesn't have this stuff to hand and maybe thats whats meant but "not got the time".

As others have said, factor in the cost of diesel, wear and tear on the car, and your own time, add that to the agreed price and then decide whether that is a price you are prepared to pay.

IIRC, if you drive your own car on company business they can can typically pay you up to 40p a mile before the Inland Revenue start to think you're making a profit on it. Ie they accept that it costs 40p a mile to run a typical car (I think this assumes a reasonably new car, so depreciation a significant part)!

700 miles at 40p per mile equals £280!, thats before you value your time!

Even if you just work on the diesel, say at 40 miles/gallon, you are looking at 9 gallons, so at about £6/gallon, then your looking at £105, plus your time (YMMV !!!!).

It's your call of course, but if it was me I'd not bother.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='187961' date='Apr 29 2008, 12:16 PM']Perhaps we could organise a basschat relay. For a small fee someone could pick the gear up and drive it say 50 miles to the next relay. Need lots of organisation mind.[/quote]
On the bike email list I'm on, we quite often do this for non-urgent stuff as quite a few of us travel around the country. I think it does help that a lot of us have met each other, though.

I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the rig is great, but another will surely come along soon. It doesn't seem to make economical or practical sense to me, although if you can make a bit of a day trip/long weekend out of it then perhaps you could justify it.

[quote name='finnbass' post='188065' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:22 PM']I've just done a 610 mile round trip to meet up with a few fellow bass players and it was fantastic, I couldn't have done it though if the host hadn't offered me a bed for the night as 10 hours driving in one day is an absolute killer.[/quote]
I've done a 600 mile round trip a fortnight after breaking several ribs and puncturing a lung, but I wouldn't recommend it (the fractured ribs and punctured lung are an optional extra).

Depends if you're used to driving long distances. Brighton to NewCastle [1] and back is further than I'd personally like to do in one go.

What about going by train?

[1] As opposed to Newcastle, which is somewhere near Stoke

What about asking the seller to meet you half way or at least a bit closer for a bit extra on top of the purchase price?
Even if you don't save too much on petrol at least you cut down on the driving.

Saying that, i would assume the seller would say no and i guess there will be someone more local that would buy it so there's really not a great incentive for the seller to put himself out.

[quote name='jono b' post='188144' date='Apr 29 2008, 04:15 PM']Do it. You could do it in the style of the Top Gear challenge when Clarkson had to go from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of fuel. Unless of course you've got some sort of aversion to near mental breakdowns?[/quote]

Yeah, maybe blog it on route at internet cafe's.
sort of like a real time event.
Could keep us glued to our PC's for the whole journey

Maybe someone could run a book on how long it takes.

Edited by dave_bass5

Haha... cheers guys... I have taken everything into account... it just is a pain in the arse!!! Dont think I will have the time to get there! I have offered to sort out everything courier-wise, and even send up some packaging!!!! Still a no go, understanderbly, and he does state collection only. MMM as for the relay, I think by the time it got to Brighton it would have been gigged about 50 times and used many more!! haha Does anyone live in Newcastle on here!? Id pay them to pick it up, and I would send up packaging and sort out courier!!! I know its maddness!!!

Paul

Edited by rockinbassman

In fairness to the seller, it is a massive pain the arse to package and post an amp. I had to send a combo at the start of the year, weighed a ton and was absolutely massive. I only lucked out because it fitted in the box I got my telly in and had stuff lying about to pack it with. Couriers can usually only give you an estimate on price until they weigh it for themselves too, so it sh*t for them if they quote you a price which you pay, then get a call later on to say it'll cost an extra tenner (which happened when I send my amp). As for time though, if you had the stuff to pack it with, it would certainly take no more than an hour to get it all packed up. Duct tape, people, is the key :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='187649' date='Apr 28 2008, 10:20 PM']Make sure you do a sh1t load of speed.[/quote]

Totally irresponsible post,

There's loads of speed cameras on the m1 :)

Nice to be discussed here on basschat without anyone asking me what my point of view is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17604"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17604[/url]

Since the matter is being discussed here is my point of view.

I have boxed, shipped and arranged a courier for a previous sale here on basschat.It was a massive pain in the arse.
I had to give up a day of work waiting arround for a courier.I am self employed and a days lossed business is a lot of money for me.

Regarding the GK sale: I instantly dropped £50.00 on the asking price when rockinbassman said he would collect,to take the sting out of the trip he would have to make.
I will be taking a massive drop on my gear from the new price,but hey dont we all.

GK is not like rocking horses sh*t,, more will turn up I am sure.but for the same price??? who knows.
best of luck to rockingbassman whatever he decides.

Regards to you all,Mark

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='188431' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:20 PM']Haha... cheers guys... I have taken everything into account... it just is a pain in the arse!!! Dont think I will have the time to get there! I have offered to sort out everything courier-wise, and even send up some packaging!!!! Still a no go, understanderbly, and he does state collection only. MMM as for the relay, I think by the time it got to Brighton it would have been gigged about 50 times and used many more!! haha Does anyone live in Newcastle on here!? Id pay them to pick it up, and I would send up packaging and sort out courier!!! I know its maddness!!!

Paul[/quote]

I have seen and heard this rig it is in immaculate condition and at a great price.
well worth the effort in my opinion , plus he is a nice guy to deal with

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='188560' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:58 PM']Nice to be discussed here on basschat without anyone asking me what my point of view is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17604"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17604[/url]

Since the matter is being discussed here is my point of view.

I have boxed, shipped and arranged a courier for a previous sale here on basschat.It was a massive pain in the arse.
I had to give up a day of work waiting arround for a courier.I am self employed and a days lossed business is a lot of money for me.

Regarding the GK sale: I instantly dropped £50.00 on the asking price when rockinbassman said he would collect,to take the sting out of the trip he would have to make.
I will be taking a massive drop on my gear from the new price,but hey dont we all.

GK is not like rocking horses sh*t,, more will turn up I am sure.but for the same price??? who knows.
best of luck to rockingbassman whatever he decides.

Regards to you all,Mark[/quote]

Well i dont think anyone has been negative towards you (and i dont believe we were given your name).
But, im with you on the posting issue. too much hassle sometimes.