Why become a member? ×

Defeating speaker sim on the VT Bass Deluxe?

1976fenderhead

I'm liking the VT Bass I just bought so much (for clean tone) I'm considering getting another one (for distortion). So I thought about the Deluxe version but you can't defeat speaker sim, which sucks... I think someone in the US makes a mod for it, does anyone do it in the UK? It's the only thing keeping me from getting one...

Yeah, I have V2 so I can try both ways and can tell I have no use for the speaker sim when going through my rig.

If they did a VT Bass version that was equivalent to the programmable bass driver DI (input for a bass only and no fx loop) + speaker sim defeat like the VT Bass V2 it would be just what the doctor ordered!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1345543097' post='1778548']
Yeah, I have V2 so I can try both ways and can tell I have no use for the speaker sim when going through my rig.

If they did a VT Bass version that was equivalent to the programmable bass driver DI (input for a bass only and no fx loop) + speaker sim defeat like the VT Bass V2 it would be just what the doctor ordered!
[/quote]

I do remember seeing something about a programmable VT Bass somewhere, but that obviously never came to be.

Liam

We can modify the VT Bass Deluxe with the speaker sim circuit. The problem for us is that while that is done, the defeat is on both the 1/4" and XLR outs. If using the pedal into an amp and PA at the same time this could be a disadvantage.

Let me clarify something. The SansAmp speaker emulation can be pretty much dialed out by using the EQ on the pedal as it is all post SansAmp circuitry. The speaker sim is not really the problem. By taking out the speaker sim the pedal would be even brighter. The V2 pedal disengages the speaker sim but also [b]adds[/b] a 6dB per octave high roll off filter in its place. This makes the pedal easier to use into an amp that has its high frequency content emphasized. It's the host amp's EQ that makes the pedal overly bright. Most amp's are not flat response.

You will have the best luck with the pedal by dialing in your amp for a more neutral tone so the EQ of the amp and pedal don't "fight" with one another.

It is possible with some amp's that have efx loops to use the pedal with an A/B switch. That will enable you to use the VT Bass and your amp's preamp separately.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this post up again:)
I see now at the Tech21 page that the Deluxe have a speaker emulationen defeat button!!!:)
Is that the same as the VT Bass v2?
When I search for a shop for buying this, all shops have a picture of the one WITHOUT the sim button. When did Tech21 release the Deluxe v2?
I'm about to order a Deluxe v2, but I am afraid of that only being the first version...