Why become a member? ×

MONO Vertigo - first impressions

lozbass

I received a Vertigo this morning (very promptly despatched and very well packed by Bass Direct).

First impressions are this:

Light and reasonably protective - similar in protection to the M80
Fairly slender from front to back - MONO suggest basses of no more than 3" thickness - I'd say this is about right. There's an issue here for me - it's necessary to give a thickish bass a good push to get it seated (though the bag may loosen with wear).
Neck brace system - very impressive and effective - a nice design solution and quite an (iterative) innovation
Seating - great for symmetrical basses, not so good for Jazz style, off-set bodies - these tend to swing left/right and need to be held in place whilst the brace closes and the bag is zipped
Top loading system - this is as quick as MONO claim and saves messing about with the bag lay on the floor (great in real-world, cramped gigging situations, or less than ideal rehearsal/street spaces). You can have a bass out of the bag in about 3-4 seconds
Heastock space - another issue - fine for Fender style 4 in-line but not great for 2+2 and wider headstocks: my Alembic Brown Bass makes the bag bulge at the sides (for this reason, the BB doesn't live in the bag). Also, there is little room to accommodate angled headstocks - this could be a problem
Straps and comfort - I've never found M80s very comfortable - the straps on the Vertigo feel thinner and less comfortable (though I could be wrong). The bag tends to ride high on the back.
Boot feature - very nice and another impressive innovation - the bottom 'foot' of the bag is very well protected (the bottom of the bass is well cushioned with real protection for the strap pin) and the rubber should be useful in wet conditions
Zips and fittings are all high-quality
Pockets - there are few pockets and storage is limited (unlike the M80) - an add-on 'guitar tick' will offer much extra space (however, with a significant additional outlay)

In sum, a nice bag with some impressive and innovative features (that may or may not be of interest depending on the way you use your bag in the real world). I wouldn't recommend the bag for angled headstocks, 2+2 headstocks, or those with a preference for very comfortable or low-riding bags. If you're looking for something cool and trendy and need to have your bass out of the bag and ready to go in seconds, then it's worth consideration. If protection is critical, again I'd be looking elsewhere (Protec Contego, Hiscox). An expensive product but with some impressive features, great looks, decent protection and light weight.

Edited by lozbass

I've just had a quick look on the Mono site at them, they look nice! Though I have to admit, I treat my M80 like the Vertigo so I'm not sure theres a desperate need for the vertigo design. I have 1 and only 1 criticism, the shoulder straps need a redesign. They are very close together where they join the bag and pinch against my shoulders and neck like nothing else, resulting in a painful 10 minute walk when using both straps.

However, great cases. Very protective, light weight and trustworthy.

Dan

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1345911530' post='1783067']
i don't think I've ever layer my M80 down to get my bass out? it just slips in and out while held vertically.
[/quote]

I don't think I've ever laid any gig bag down to remove a bass or put one back in!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1345911530' post='1783067']
i don't think I've ever layer my M80 down to get my bass out? it just slips in and out while held vertically.
[/quote]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1345911900' post='1783072']
I don't think I've ever laid any gig bag down to remove a bass or put one back in!
[/quote]

Same here! I did wonder what they were on about.

Thanks for the review Loz, think I'll stick to my M80:)

I just bought an M80 and its superb, it also functions just like the Vertigo does, I unzip a little bit of the bag and pull the bass out of the top. As has already been said, its not really solving a problem that actually exists, however, I really like the rubber sole idea, looks a lot better than the simple grips on the bottom of the M80. Big rubber sole on the M80 job done!!

Cheers guys, I'd agree with much of the comment - if you have an M80, I wouldn't waste too much sleep deciding whether to replace it with a Vertigo. However, if you're looking at buying a MONO, then the Vertigo is worth consideration subject to my caveats above (if it's for a fairly standard, I.e., Fender style shape, then you can't go far wrong).

I'd certainly concur that MONO could have invested some R&D resource in the backstrap system (the M80 and Vertigo straps appear to be the same on close inspection). Also, if you simply slide your bass out of the side/top of your M80, then you've already addressed the issue that MONO claim is solved by the Vertigo (however, I almost invariably lie my bags on a table/desk/floor to remove a bass). The main advantages of the Vertigo over the M80 are the 'Boot' protection, the 'auto' neck brace, and low-profile design. Main disadvantages are lack of storage (one big pocket), and limited capacity (angled and 2+2/3 headstocks can be problematic).

Of course, utility value depends on the bass for which the case is intended and personal habits and real-world usage patterns. My view is that the relative advantages of the two bags are significant and worth consideration. If I was buying a first MONO for a Fender-style bass, I'd probably go for a Vertigo. For anything else, or if extra storage was important, I'd opt for an M80.

The more I use my M80 the less I like the strap design. Everything else about the case is fantastic, but the main reason I own a gig bag is so I can do the 30 or so minute walk from my house to our rehearsal rooms with the bass on my back. For this length of journey the Ritter bag I had previously was far more comfortable.

Alanbass, without measuring, I'd say that the internal dimensions of the M80 and Vertigo are dissimilar (very significantly so in terms of depth). The Vertigo is as long as the M80 so I doubt you'd have any problem with a 35" scale (Celinder?). Also, if you are thinking of the Vertigo for a Celinder, given the Fender shape and slender headstock design, I'm pretty sure you'd be OK. My J Update 4 (34") fits easily with plenty of headroom and I doubt a bottom machine head would bulge.

This looks great. It might be the answer im looking for in my gig bag thread (other than the price).
Ill have to have a look in to this bag but for what its worth ive laid my bass down on various surfaces, i dont really think about it too much but i do tend not to like leaning it against things that might get bumped, causing the bass to fall.
Saying that i do tend to stand the gig bag upright to un zip it most of the time but i have taken the bass out on its side many times as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice case and nice idea...I think Mono are great at designing light/fairly strong cases.

I don't see the need for the vertical thing, but I can understand some players might prefer it....might not be as useful for a big 5 string 35" scale bass compared to a normal electric guitar but I see where they are coming from.

I don't lay my M80 down unless there is a table or something at the height which is good for doing that...otherwise its just undone vertically....

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1347609892' post='1802935']
I'm in the camp that a secure, comfortable back strap system would be a better R&D time investment.
[/quote]

I'd second this. The poor and uncomfortable design of the straps is the one thing that I don't like about my M80. It's no good making your semi-rigid gig bag lighter than everyone else's if it's unpleasant to wear on your back for any length of time.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347613582' post='1802984']
I'd second this. The poor and uncomfortable design of the straps is the one thing that I don't like about my M80. It's no good making your semi-rigid gig bag lighter than everyone else's if it's unpleasant to wear on your back for any length of time.
[/quote]

That'll be the 3 of us then! We should do a mass email to them!

Dan

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1347685963' post='1803984']
I concur. If I have to carry a bass any distance, I'll leave the M80 behind and use the Protec Contego. IMO the Protec is better designed in several ways.
[/quote]

Does the extra comfort of the Protec design offset the fact that weighs considerably more than the M80?