Why become a member? ×

what do people do with so many basses?

greyparrot

[quote name='Rayman' post='188906' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:35 PM']Yeah at the end of the day that's what I do to, even though I'm playing covers. I have "My" sound on the Villex loaded Jazz, and I [i]inflict[/i] that tone on most of the set, hence sticking with that one bass most of the time, with the Marcus Miller Jazz backing it up. I really could do without the other three altogether.[/quote]

Yeah! At the end of the day I would imagine playing covers for me would be a bit of fun rather than a serious exercise in exact replication of sound so I don't worry about not having any idiosyncratic bass sounds in my arsenal any more. If I played in a band like Kiwi's I would probably need to think again as his bread and butter is playing and recording to sound like the originals. Me and you though Russ - we just want to be heard as individuals!! Just look at the way Marcus Miller whams his sound on everything, sometimes partly ruining the song! (OK maybe he is ALLOWED to, being Marcus and all)

I might have to have a look at the ME-50B then.

However I also play 8-string which in theory should be a far easier instrument to mimic using effects, but I still haven't come across one that would be an acceptable substitute to the real thing, so not holding out too much hope for the de-fretter...

[quote name='Beedster' post='188899' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:32 PM']That's why I love Precisions :)

Lack of need hasn't stoped me forking out on a brand new Modulus this week though :huh:[/quote]

So much for being a passive man then ;)

TBH - I'd love to have a collection of inexpensive basses and guitars but currently I've downsized to just having my Squier VM 70s Jazz, Warwick Streamer Std 2 and my electric and acoustic guitars. The entire Squier VM range actually looks pretty sweet to me right now, thankfully I don't have the space, well maybe i could squeeze in a VM fretless Jazz!

[quote name='Doc B' post='188976' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:45 PM']So much for being a passive man then :huh:[/quote]

Fair point! You know how much I agonised over your Status, and TBH about a minute after you sold it I was kicking myself :) I have a love/hate with active, and even with graphite (which must make you wonder "why a Flea?"). The Flea however came up whilst the bruises were still forming! If it were passive I'd probably be even happier, although I've no doubt I can get a bypass if needed.
Chris

[quote name='BigRedX' post='188960' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:25 PM']I might have to have a look at the ME-50B then.

However I also play 8-string which in theory should be a far easier instrument to mimic using effects, but I still haven't come across one that would be an acceptable substitute to the real thing, so not holding out too much hope for the de-fretter...[/quote]
Yeah, the octaver on there is pretty dire as well (and don't even think about using those two effects at the same time coz they're on the same section...) - I've just spent an unsatisfying few minutes trying to get a good distortion and autowah but I've decided to leave that for next band practise where I can hear the results in context and get some feedback from the rest of the band - it's making me consider going down the individual pedal route, possibly with a different multi-effects as well... so if you do decide to get one (despite my bad advertising, it's very useful for a lot of things), PM me! :)

In a similar vein to Dave:

1) Wal Pro. [i]My[/i] treasured companion, and like Dave's it'll be going up the chimney with me. Had it since 1986 and if it was badly damaged or destroyed I would be beside myself with grief. If it was stolen I would scour the globe to find it, and hospitalise the thief when I eventually tracked it down. :)

2) Shuker 5 string. I'd always wanted a good 5 string and had been working my way up to this one via the Yamaha and Status (see below). I use it at every gig. It is perfect. Love it.

3) Status 5 string. I'd always wanted a good 5 string and had been working my way up etc. etc. This is now my backup, and I also take it out to rehearsals. It's got a few dents and stuff, so a few more won't hurt. I'm not terribly precious about it. Great bass though.

4) Yamaha RBX 5 string. Since getting the Status and latterly the Shuke, this had been a bit redundant, so I got Jon Shuker to do a defret job for me. It's now a better fretless bass than it ever was a fretted one. I have no gig use for it at the moment, but at some point I do intend to play jazz/fusion again, when it'll come into its own.

5) Ibanez BTB 6 string. A real ebay cheapy. I like having a 6 to noodle about with, and again it'll come in handy when I eventually become a jazzer again.

6) SX Jazz build. Because everybody should have at least one Jazz Bass, right..? :huh:

I have used a fretted and fretless for most on my bass playing gigs - so thats 2. We recently started tuning to D for some songs so I got another bass to tune to D but got so fed up carting 3 basses I detuned the fretless. I also have an old Bass Collection that my son thinks looks cool but never plays. And an acoustic for when I learn new songs - I can just pick it up when I realise have forgotten the lines.

So thats 5, two of which dont get used. Does not stop the GAS attacks when something foxy comes up though.

I currently have 6: 3 decent, and 3 cheapo ones... I can't get rid of the cheapo ones, no shop will accept them in trade... I've been having great fun modding the cheapo ones and generally messing around learning to set them up... my current project this summer will be to defret one of the Encore P-bass clones... and the other P-bass clone is going to be converted into a clock...

current decent basses in order of decency:

Squier VMJ
Vintage V950B 5 string
Peavey Millenium BXP

I have a 7th bass coming on Sunday which will leapfrog to the top of the decent list... a Tanglewood Warrior IV in ash.

Hmmm. I never go to a gig without a backup, and I did need it once, too...

Black Fender MIM P (The Black Widow):- best split-coil P I've ever touched. Does most of the work, just.

Blonde Fender MIJ 51RI P (The Blonde):- does the majority of the rest and is easily the better looking of all my basses.

3TS Squier VM P TB (The Tart):- do some gigs with this also.

So, any two of these 3 are always with me at a gig.

Blonde Kramer Focus 88:- This is such a great rock bass, but I find I make mistakes on it for no reason I can pinpoint exactly...

Yamaha RBX 250, stripped, defretted (neither by me!):- Not done much with this yet. May refret it (properly), or have the fingerboard repaired and leave it as a fretless, which is probably what will happen. Steal for 4 quid. That wasn't a typo.

So, 5 basses...3 get used constantly or constantly-ish, so no worries there...the Kramer is only slighly less rare than rocking horse poo, although of little vintage value...the Yamaha was a lucky find. There's nothing I feel I should move on, really, which now I think about it, is odd for me. I've never had this many before!

Intellesting, velly intellesting! :)

I've got [b]52 basses [/b]as some of you already know....! Many never see the light of day but the collection contains many basses that I used to lust after during my *penniless teenage years and its great (20 or so years later) to be able to indulge oneself! As a working pro, I tend to use around 8 or 9 basses for different jobs.

* nothings changed!

Nick

Reading through this thread, it reminds me of when I first started playing and the idea of [b]one[/b] decent bass would make me moist.

20 years later I'm in possession of four basses (out of the total 8 that I've ever owned), each of which does it's own particular job.

So:
Musicman Sterling: My first and only proper, decent bass. Does everything I want it to and will never, ever be sold.

Bass Collection fretless: used for the acoustic band I used to be in and for the Pearl Jam numbers in the rock covers band I was in.

Fender acoustic: Bought for my acoustic band, is now an in front of the TV noodler. Very handy for those moments when you have an idea but plugging in is too much hassle.

Aria SWB Lite electric upright: This is currently my main gigging bass, simply due to the style of music we play.

There was a time when I took three basses to a gig - the Sterling, the Bass Collection and the Fender, simply for the different sounds they provided.
Now, the Aria is the only bass I use live and at home gets about 80% usage, then the Sterling approx 15% with the rest shared between the other two.

I sometimes think I should sell the Fender and the Bass Collection as they rarely get used, but I don't need the money and they may get used in the future and I'd miss them if they weren't there.

As for the Sterling - I fell guilty that i don't play it as much as I used to, but on the one day a week that I pick it up, I remember just how good it is and if I ever play in a rock or funk band again, just how much I'd miss it if sold it.

[quote name='finnbass' post='189380' date='May 1 2008, 12:28 AM']I used to feel like that too when I was young and potless :)[/quote]
Indeed. I've been through many basses. Most of them the ones I wanted "at the time" and rarely had a backup. Always sold one to buy another. There were only a few occasions when my basses overlapped until recently.

I was badly bitten once ten years ago when the band I was in was showcasing in front of 30+ A&R types at the Mean Fiddler when it was in Harlesden. I'd re-strung my Stingray before a practise a couple of days previous so they could settle in. So, all cocky and dressed up to the nines at the gig, went through the first two songs faultlessly with a great sound. Then during the chorus of the third song my A string snapped.

So there's me, all indie cool and floppy, running offstage to grab the first bass I could (which thankfully was also a Stingray, which the guy - who'd seen what had happened - had in his hand. Cheers fella, never got your name).

I strutted back onstage while the singer was going through his meaningful Northern banter posioned with inciteful wit and a piss take at my expense. Plugged in. And the bass was out of tune.

And the beat goes on.... Spent between the next two songs retuning full volume with the guitarist. Afterwards we all went up to one of the A&R blokes we all knew for him to roll his eyes and say, "just give a shout when you're f**king ready eh?". Then he left. Never saw any of them again. Never got the deal.

So that's why you should ALWAYS have at least one back-up. For the same sound at least, and for other needs throughout the set.

A decade and a decent job later, here are mine, and why...

Status S2 Classic 5 - number 1. Any sound I need. Really. Never goes out of tune. Looks stunning. And has the low B which I now use all the time.

Kubicki Ex-Factor - number 1.1. Any sound I need. Great rock/jazz/slap etc bass. The fastest neck ever. Rare, so gets lots of attention. Low D tuning.

I always bring at least these two along to gigs with whichever other one takes my fancy

MM Stingray 3eq (the same one) - semi-retired. Great all rounder. Plays like butter. Built like a tank. Classic tone. It's familiar looks draws post gig comparisons (eg I've got one, how's yours?). Fitted with Hipshot, again for those extra low times.

Warwick Thumb 5 - Used for soul/funk gigs. Always up in the mix. Distinctive sound. Feels great to play, despite the fat neck. Again, need the B. Pretty anonymous to be honest. No-one comments on it but I love it's small curved body. Ooh!

Ibanez SR506 - First journey into 6 strings. Studio use only. Never gigged yet.

Ibanez AGB200 - Good to bring to "open mike" jams. Light. Has that rounded vintage tone. Has a 30" scale neck which plays like a guitar. Gold "vintage" hardware so everyone thinks it's expensive...! Great with a chorus pedal.

(btw, I'm including the looks as well because I'm honest. We all sit back and look at how nice our basses are so why shouldn't we be proud of them when out in public. And when other bassists come up and have a chat about gear, well, that's never a bad thing)

Wouldn't mind a fretless 5 at some point.

If you can afford it, buy whichever bass you want because it will eventually become a very enjoyable collection/hobby/obsession/reason for divorce...

And when you're absolutely skint, you can always sell one to buy food with!

Im a sucker for the looks too, I have my blue jazz cause its my old friend that is also going in the jar with me when im pickled to await my glorious return from the afterlife.

My recently bought '75ri was simply cause i had wanted a white jazz since Gibson Keddies white 70's one in bassist like ten years ago, and its turned out to be the best bass ive ever had i reckon!

My bassmaster funk was an impulse buy as a teenager cause it looked like a streamer ( my 2nd fave shape after the jazz) and its too battered and sentimental to me to part with.

My 'ray is my 'sensible 'go-to' bass that sits well in any mix on any stage, and as the 'ray sound is what got me started i still consider myself lucky to own one as i never thought i would, even though im not big on the colour, the piezo, and am a bit out of love with it at the mo!

My streamer is simply an indulgence, as i love the shape, although is the best for all the train travelling i do (cant drive either!) as its like a feather and has all the frets too, so i can do funky wah-wah guitar funk and jazzy chordal stuff at the top of the neck.

The acoustic is 'just likely to come in handy'

and the squier is just cause it looks great, and my wife said i should buy it so it was rude not to!....mmm....shallow!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='Beedster' post='188987' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:52 PM']Fair point! You know how much I agonised over your Status, and TBH about a minute after you sold it I was kicking myself :) I have a love/hate with active, and even with graphite (which must make you wonder "why a Flea?"). The Flea however came up whilst the bruises were still forming! If it were passive I'd probably be even happier, although I've no doubt I can get a bypass if needed.
Chris[/quote]

Just to rub salt into the wounds, didn't you know the Status Groove has a bypass switch for the active EQ? :huh:

I've sold all my surplus stuff now (apart from the Hofner which may still be useful for 60's cak!) Now down to 3 Status basses (yes, the new KingBass was pure indulgence, I admit it!) & my TRB-6 which has a similar modern hifi sound but all the extra range I'll ever need. Also have my Warwick Triumph upright for jazz work.

I'm ordering a 2008 American Standard Precision in the summer (in the lovely new sunburst with red tort guard), so I have all the basses *PUN* covered as it were.

Yes, we can 'hoard' too much gear & I've just had a cull to make room for the third Status. Did I need it? Hmmmmm...

[quote name='Machines' post='188602' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:29 AM']People who have dozens of basses I feel are simply hoarding and can't possibly use them all.[/quote]

...and your point is? ;)

[quote name='FJ1200' post='188611' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:07 AM']re. Line 6 Variaxe bass.
Has anyone got one? If so - do you use it on it's own or with a POD?[/quote]

I still have the bass, which I use for shows/productions but I *kin hated the POD, I believe someone on here bought it from me back in the BW days. Like others I find some of the sounds very interesting and useful (though I can get quite a few of the tones 'NOT the 12 string/synth etc' using a Stage I Warwick and simply adjusting the onboard pan/EQ etc) but why oh why did they stick it in an uninspiring body that feels like a £200 far east F*nd*r copy... will I have upset F*nd*r owners :D

[quote name='Golchen' post='188632' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:53 AM']I can't see the point in owning 8+ basses.[/quote]

If you 'did' have them, you'd see the point!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='188636' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:15 AM']I've got four good'uns, and I play them all... but one is leaving the nest tomorrow. *gulp*

Three is a good number, I think.[/quote]

3 is a magic number!

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='188767' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:53 PM']How many pairs of shoes do you (or the missus) have?
lots for different occasions, or to go with things, or just because they look good. You can choose what to wear (use) depending on a whole raft of different things, from what looks right to what you happen to fancy.

Basses are the same

and a whole lot cheaper than my wife's shoes!![/quote]

I have a very happy/healthy relationship in this respect... Every now and again I just hand my wife my wallet and say 'Here you are darlin' get yourself away and buy a pair of shoes or boots'. She immediately smiles and asks where the new bass is going to hang ;) The perfect relationship.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='188819' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:09 PM']Isn't it a good thing that I have no particular need to justify owning all those basses?

:huh:[/quote]

Exactly ;)

My 'story' for owning so many basses over the years is that I've constantly traded up, aiming for better quality and improved tone. In the last almost 30 years I've owned in excess of 50 Warwicks alone and I've no idea how many other manufacturers basses have passed through my hands. As a new bass came in an old one went out... then I made the mistake of keeping one when I bought another one... then another... and another :) Just didn't have the heart to sell them but luckily had the funds not to give a flying f*ck ;)

In all seriousness it did get to a point earlier this year where I had basses that I was restringing and putting batteries in that I hadn't played since last time I restrung them and put batteries in ;) I decided that this was not best practice and had a bit of a purge. I may have had 7 or 8 Streamers at the same time but they were all different in tone... however some were subtle differences and that was the deciding factor :huh:

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='BigRedX' post='188960' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:25 PM']I might have to have a look at the ME-50B then.

However I also play 8-string which in theory should be a far easier instrument to mimic using effects, but I still haven't come across one that would be an acceptable substitute to the real thing, so not holding out too much hope for the de-fretter...[/quote]

Yeh, to be fair I was being too general. There is a need for fretless and 8 strings/12 string guitars. You can get a variax or a midi pickup and could probably get a good 8 string sound out of it.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='188938' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:09 PM']I find it funny that people take more than one guitar to gigs. I have pedals for that kind of thing.[/quote]
You have a pedal to take the frets off? Kewl.

Oh, I'm not the first to say that...

I've got a defretter effect on the Digitech which isn't particularly convincing but can be adjusted to give a slightly more convincing bowed sound.

I don't have a pedal to add or subtract strings though.

Edited by tauzero

each one of mine has its own job and memories.

Squire Bronco - First bass, cant part with it ever, its purpose was to start me off, would probably gig it one day just for fun.

SX Jazz - After lusting for a Jazz bass i finally got one, after a few mods its beautiful, its purpose was as my main gigging bass.

Ibanez ATK405 - My 2nd 5'er, after hearing the sound of a 4 string ATK i had to get one. Used for most dropped D songs so i can play it in one position rather than drop tune, and thats its purpose.

Fender Aerodyne - To fill in my need for a P-bass. but with a twist, so far its excelled (Thanks Paul). Its my main bass at the moment, and when i get back into gigging itll take over the SX's duties.

Edited by WarPig

[quote name='FJ1200' post='188611' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:07 AM']Has anyone got one? If so - do you use it on it's own or with a POD?[/quote]
I haven't got a Variax bass but I do have a Variax 300 g**tar which I use through a POD for electric sounds and DIed for acoustic. I'm very happy with it - think I've had it three years now, and it meets my 6-string needs and some of my 12-string ones too.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='188938' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:09 PM']I find it funny that people take more than one guitar to gigs. I have pedals for that kind of thing.[/quote]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='188949' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:16 PM']Are they long,thin roundwound pedals with a ball on one end?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing - or do you have a pedal that goes "has anybody got a spare bass" down the mic if you bust a string?