Why become a member? ×

what do people do with so many basses?

greyparrot

I've accrued most of my basses as I thought I needed particular sounds. They've always been tools of one sort or another. However, the graphite necked basses I have are a bit of an indulgence.

The other thing is that I've grown to accept is that I can't really take loads of basses to gigs, however one bass definitely isn't enough for the range of songs we do. I played just the Smith at our most recent gig last Saturday for all our songs and our disco songs just sounded flat because we didn't have the bark of the Stingray/Cutlass cutting through.

Some day, I may well sell most of them if I find a bass that can do the job of three (5 string/precision/stingray)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='188597' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:34 AM']Some day, I may well sell most of them if I find a bass that can do the job of three (5 string/precision/stingray)[/quote] :) :huh:

[size=1]coat->get[/size]

Meh - I've got 3 at the moment and if I got another it'd likely be unnecessary. The Stingray/Jazz combo can do a hell of a lot and anything else i'd get would likely mimic one of their sounds but possibly be a 5/6 string (which I don't need).

People who have dozens of basses I feel are simply hoarding and can't possibly use them all.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='188607' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:59 AM']exellent![/quote]

Shame they've stopped producing them. A decent shape would help though.

Has anyone got one? If so - do you use it on it's own or with a POD?

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='greyparrot' post='188595' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:21 AM']This is the irst time in my 25 years of playing that i am going to have 4 good basses at one time, but thinking what am i gonna do with them when i know my new status is going to be he one! If you guys have a fav that you use all the time, what do you do with the others??[/quote]
Enjoy them for their different qualities when the mood takes you.. Variety is the spice of life, etc, etc... :)

I have a lot of different instruments, and it's hard to part with them. Some are cheap and not worth much but are 'special' for some reason, some are expensive and I would miss them if they went, and some are not used/not very good and I really should shift them but I can't be assed.

I can't see the point in owning 8+ basses.

I've found that if you keep hold of them for long enough then you experience a 'cyclical' relationship through the collection.
I used nothing but my Stingray live for years, then just took out my jazz one time and loved it. Now I'm moving back to the Stingray...
I think this accounts for why there exists 'posthumous GAS' ie. the desire to repurchase the same gear after you've sold it, thinking that you don't use it enough.
Certainly being a lefty you have to consider your purchases a bit more carefully and there's hardly ever any instant GAS as no one ever sells any (apart from that lovely GB and the Sei a couple of weeks ago...)

But... +1 to the idea that a Stingray and Jazz can cover most eventualities. (and a 5 on the side for special occasions)

I'm currently hooked on my 2 jazzes for live work, but the Stingray is always there in the wings too. The other two basses I have are 5ers, and get used at home but not live.

I have to say, 5 basses for me is a bit OTT, I don't need them all, so...........

Another vote for a Stingray/Jazz combination.

A Jazz (Lakland DJ) and a P do everything for me and they're all I need. It took a lot of time, money and effort to arrive at this conclusion. However, I am GASsing for a fretless now that I've discovered I can actually play one but can't decide whether to buy a cheapie and see how it goes or blow a wad on a decent one.

Wouldn't mind a 6er too but that would just be a bedroom bass.

i started learning late last summer and bought 2 basses to start with as they both had different sounds then last christmas my wife bought me a really cheap crappy precision copy that sounds incredibly good for the price, it has that really deep thumping precision sound to it and i love it, i pick it up everyday without fail, then i bought my mexican precision about 3 weeks ago so one had to go, i got rid of the 2nd bass i bought as there was just something not right about it.
So i now have only three and also a project on the go, dont think i will be buying anymore in the near future but i would an acoustic bass and a jazz bass. ( we will have to see what the wife says)

Dunno, I've just the one, a Jazz. With a series switch to make it a Precision-a-like. Doesn't stop me wanting a VMP or similar though. Must...stop...going...into...music...shops... :)

On the other hand, changing basses between songs would really [i]not [/i]work in me current band, so why would I need another when I can just pull the pot out...?

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='Machines' post='188602' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:29 AM']People who have dozens of basses I feel are simply hoarding and can't possibly use them all.[/quote]

As someone who has 4 vintage Precisions (and an incoming Flea) I agree :)
I had hoped to find one bass that would do everything and stick to that bass (the CS 40th Anniversary Precision and Bongo 5 came close). Realising I couldn't find such a beast I then reverted to a simple 'pure bass' sound, hence passive Precisions. I took me a while to find the perfect one however, hence my collection. I'm now struggling to know which ones to let go. I've two fretted and two fretless, and I hope to have only one of each by the end of the month
The Modulus however is pure indulgence :huh:
Chris

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='188641' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:26 AM']A Jazz (Lakland DJ) and a P do everything for me and they're all I need. It took a lot of time, money and effort to arrive at this conclusion. However, I am GASsing for a fretless now that I've discovered I can actually play one but can't decide whether to buy a cheapie and see how it goes or blow a wad on a decent one.

Wouldn't mind a 6er too but that would just be a bedroom bass.[/quote]

Agreed, although for 'Jazz' read 'Flea'.
Homer, as suggested above, I'm going to let one of my 70's fretlesses go later in the month....
Chris

I have 2 fretless and 1 fretted, thought I'd need three but it seems one of each is all I ever use. The one fretless just gets looked at and occasionally played. If cash wasn't a problem I dare say there'd be a few more to look at and occasionally play :)

They all get played - although in different amounts.

Live I play fretted and fretless so I have one of each plus a good quality 'spare' However I consider myself the be a songwriter/producer who plays bass, rather than a bass player who writes songs, so I like to have the right instruments for the sounds I want to create and that means have several basses (as well as guitars and synths). I'm a great believer in getting the sound right at the source and just tweaking it slightly in the final mix. Plus I like to have nice things...

My Precision is my gig bass, my Ibanez GSR500 is my back-up gig bass, and my old Westone is the one propped up by the sofa so I can grab it and play whilst I'm watching TV. I'd like to get something to replace the Ibanez at some stage-most likely one of the Japanese 70's reissue P's. And I'm still wondering about fretless, so I might pick up a cheap one just to give it a go.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='188595' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:21 AM']This is the irst time in my 25 years of playing that i am going to have 4 good basses at one time, but thinking what am i gonna do with them when i know my new status is going to be he one! If you guys have a fav that you use all the time, what do you do with the others??[/quote]

I try to give all my basses equal time. I go through phases of preferring one, but it usually passes. I'm learning a song just now that I'm finding easiest to play on my Takamine acoustic, go figure! The basses are all subtly different in ways enough (for me) to justify them all - or there are rules - I will never sell my first bass, nor am I likely to sell any of my project basses, they're not worth anything to anyone apart from me. Going to be selling one on at some point, but I'm not desperate to do so at this time. Of course if the Zebrano Wideboy 5 demands an expensive component then that might change :)