Why become a member? ×

Melody Gardot on Later

Longmayyourun

[quote name='dlloyd' post='188669' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:14 AM']Had a look on BBC iPlayer...

I'd say that was Charlie Hunter with his Novax guitar and a massive beard.

[/quote]

Thanks for identifying it - that looks like an astonishing instrument. My son, who is the proper muso in this house, is having a serious attack of 'I'd love to get my hands on one of those' :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='188723' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:38 AM']I [i]think[/i] it's Charlie Hunter... there's not too many people who play those things.[/quote]

It's not Charlie. I can play one of those things look at my avatar (well did, before I had to sell it so I could stay at uni! :) )

[quote name='Longmayyourun' post='188793' date='Apr 30 2008, 01:40 PM']Thanks for identifying it - that looks like an astonishing instrument. My son, who is the proper muso in this house, is having a serious attack of 'I'd love to get my hands on one of those' :)[/quote]

If he is serious, I recommend checking out [url="http://www.wlguitars.com/"]Wes Lambe Guitars[/url]. I had one of his 8's. They are a lot cheaper than novax, and in my opinion, nicer looking and the build quality is something else.

Man, this thread makes we want my 8 String back!

Also, CH now uses Tragott guitars and plays a 7 string, not 8.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='188808' date='Apr 30 2008, 01:56 PM']Fair enough... I'd based it on the fact he was playing it through a leslie simulator, which is kind of a Charlie Hunter trademark.

How much did yours set you back?[/quote]
Yeah, I was going to say though, he definitely likes Charlie, trying to get that organ sound. (I had a rotosphere aswell...I think all 8 stringers try it)

I actually found it "used" on craigslist in Los Angeles when searching for more info on them, I paid £1100 including shipping and tax etc. But it was mint, like it hadn't been out of the case.

Unfortunately, I couldn't dedicate too much time to it as studying bass was/is my priority.

Think the quotes I had from Wes were about $2400 for a custom build.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='188836' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:22 PM']From the Sei site (damn frames making linking difficult):

[i]Custom, Jazz shape 8 string bass/guitar built for Pino Palladino consisting of 3 bass strings E A D and 5 guitar A D G B E, fully midi compatible, custom made Kent Armstrong pickups buckeye burl facing fan frets to give different scale lengths 25" on guitar side 28" on the bass side, reso acoustic saddles give the steel string guitar sound[/i][/quote]

I wonder if Pino got the bug after playing with John Mayer who has been known to play a novax!?

If I'm honest, it is stunning, it looks too much like a bass for me. I quite like the look with the separate pickups on other 8s (although, at first I hated this as it looked messy)