Why become a member? ×

Eminence

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,
I am also looking for an Eminence EUB but It seems that no one in the UK stocks or sells them! I have been looking all over the place. I am reluctant to buy one from Thomann or Gollihur until I can actually see it for myself as it is a huge investment to 'blindly buy'. I recently bought a rather nice looking EUB from a UK company and I didn't rate it at all. It was an Aria - their most expensive one with two pickups and a hollow 'semi acoustic' body made from mahogany and maple but upon delivery when I actually got to play the thing it just sounded like a big bass guitar. I want mobility from my new bass but not at expense to the sound - thats why we all play the double right? Any way I had to send it back and get a refund but this was at my own expense which I thought was fair as the courier cost me about £55 which would have been cheaper than driving up to the shop myself and having a play before buying it, but if I have the same problem with a bass from Germany or the US then it will cost me an arm and a leg to ship beck again - if they even accept refunds! Whats a boy to do? Any feed back greatfully received. Does anybody know of any shops or stockists of the Eminence EUB in the UK and where I can find a stockist? does anyone know of any going for sale second hand?

Cheers Dave

I played a gig a few weeks ago with my Aria EUB and got talking to a bloke who had an Eminence and he reckoned it was the only EUB in that price range that was worth having. He bought his unseen and wasn't dissapointed at all.

If you have a look at the EUB forum on Talkbass.com, I think there the Eminence is generally considered to be the best you can get for the money. They are designed from the ground up to sound like an amplified double bass for live work, wheras the Aria (and Yamaha) EUBs started out designed as a silent practice bass so their sound is always going to be a compromise.

Unfortunatley, the EUB market and in fact, the electric bass market at the £1500 mark is pretty small, so finding one to try is going to be hard. If you talk to any of the guys on here who've bought high end instruments I reckon a fair few will have bought on reputation or recomendation and probably unseen.

I think Thomann have a very good returns policy - even if you have to pay £30 to ship it back to them, you could spend the same on petrol travelling the length of the country to find one to try. When I've got the cash (and the ability to justify it!) I'll upgrade my Aria to an Eminence, probably from Thomann and (unless I can track down that bloke in the pub) I'll buy it unseen.
Sometimes you've just got to take a chance.

Cheers

Dave

I'd try SMART - I think he pops up here sometimes. Distributors can sometimes arrange a demo, or at least let you know how long it will take ot get one. I think with the this one, I'd risk a purchase unseen. They've been around for a while and Bob Gollihur still sells them!

I bought my Clifton having tried one for a few mins a year or so before hand, but I didn't even have interweb access then and there was very little choice. Glad to say ten years later I'm still very happy with mine, although I do get nagged sometimes about playing something acoustic (even though it would always be plugged in....)

BB

Nice one Rev. I have been eyeing up Thomann for the past year or so as I thought that they where the cheapest supplier of.....well....almost anything, but it turn out That old Bob gollihur from across the pond will supply a removable neck four string with the two separate soft cases with a free hard case if I but it this month , and the shipping over to London all for £1600 - cheaper than Thomann by £130 od - which I like very much. All I need to do now is save up the money proper quick - which is near impossible, but there you go! Anyway, cheers for the help mate, and all who replied to my question.

Cheers, Dave

[quote name='double dave' post='206015' date='May 25 2008, 04:14 PM']Nice one Rev. I have been eyeing up Thomann for the past year or so as I thought that they where the cheapest supplier of.....well....almost anything, but it turn out That old Bob gollihur from across the pond will supply a removable neck four string with the two separate soft cases with a free hard case if I but it this month , and the shipping over to London all for £1600 - cheaper than Thomann by £130 od - which I like very much. All I need to do now is save up the money proper quick - which is near impossible, but there you go! Anyway, cheers for the help mate, and all who replied to my question.

Cheers, Dave[/quote]
If buying from the US you will be stung for customs & excise duty (>10% of declared value, can't remember how much) so you need to add that to the equation

Edited by Clarky

MMMMMM...... Yes, I forgot about that. Maby good old thomann are the way to go after all, apart from thay don't sell (to my knowledge) The hard cases. Although it wouldn't be hard to make my own with a pit of ply, a skateboard truck and a telescopic handle from an old suitcase! Thanks for the heads-up. Also as far as returns policy's go I think that thomann may have the upperhand due to shipping costs back out to the states being somewhat of an expense. Cheers. Oh by the way, Does anybody know anyone who is intrested in a Beringer MX9000 desk that I am selling to try and raise funds for said bass? How about a particualary rare Blonde Hofner 500/1 with gold inlays and hardware? I am going to put up a different post if anyone is interested. Thanks again everyone.

[quote name='double dave' post='207181' date='May 27 2008, 12:57 PM']MMMMMM...... Yes, I forgot about that. Maby good old thomann are the way to go after all, apart from thay don't sell (to my knowledge) The hard cases. Although it wouldn't be hard to make my own with a pit of ply, a skateboard truck and a telescopic handle from an old suitcase! Thanks for the heads-up. Also as far as returns policy's go I think that thomann may have the upperhand due to shipping costs back out to the states being somewhat of an expense. Cheers. Oh by the way, Does anybody know anyone who is intrested in a Beringer MX9000 desk that I am selling to try and raise funds for said bass? How about a particualary rare Blonde Hofner 500/1 with gold inlays and hardware? I am going to put up a different post if anyone is interested. Thanks again everyone.[/quote]

You might want to check out this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20216"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20216[/url]

If you do your homework on this you may be surprised and enlightened!

Ciao

Ian