Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1024X vs BB2024X

Clarky72

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1394734707' post='2394630']

Does this mean I can get a 1024 play the dog and duck and pretend ive got a 2.5k bass? ;-)
Seriously im tempted by the 1024/5
Im a p bass fan but like the build quality of the likes of sandberg
How close do these come?
[/quote]
Close to the 2024 or close to Sandberg?

If you can pick up a 1024/x for £500-600, you'll struggle to find better for the money. Even Jap fenders can't match the heft that these pickups give, they are mythical beasts.

I'm super impressed by the 1024x and especially the 2024x models - but as an aside I wonder how the baby of the family, the 424x measures up against it's competitors?

Thanks to the fearsome reputation of it's big brothers it has become an alluring cheap (ish) option for me.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394744183' post='2394783']
I'm super impressed by the 1024x and especially the 2024x models - but as an aside I wonder how the baby of the family, the 424x measures up against it's competitors?

Thanks to the fearsome reputation of it's big brothers it has become an alluring cheap (ish) option for me.
[/quote]

The 424's are very nice, I was looking at them when my 1024 came up at the right price. Nice necks & the pickups are pretty hot too.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1394744987' post='2394803']
The 424's are very nice, I was looking at them when my 1024 came up at the right price. Nice necks & the pickups are pretty hot too.
[/quote]
Without wishing to derail this thread GAK have this beauty on sale for £345 - I am currently wrestling over buying it. I don't need it...but, you know the rest!

I pretty much never have GAS over bass guitars but these BBxs are gorgeous. I've had a couple of Yamahas in the past - my first not-£50-plywood-garbage* bass was an RBX550M, and I had a BB1100S fretless for a while, neither of which I thought was pretty but they were both way better basses than their prices would suggest.

I am bound to end up with a BB1025x at some point in the near future but I'm tempted to save up for a 2025x instead. I never thought I would contemplate spending over a grand on a bass guitar but Yamaha have pushed all my buttons with these things.

* I've seen some joker trying to hawk these as Japanese 'lawsuit' basses for £300+ recently. :rolleyes:

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1394741488' post='2394738']

If you can pick up a 1024/x for £500-600, you'll struggle to find better for the money. Even Jap fenders can't match the heft that these pickups give, they are mythical beasts.
[/quote]
I take it you mean in the SH market as they seem 750-850 mark. Would you say 700 ish for a new1024x is a better bet than a second hand USA p bass for build and versatility. Sorry I know that's a bit subjective. I'm after some bass

Just been playing my 1024x, which I got new (ex-display, but aren't they all) for £520. It is a fabulous bass and the pick ups are immense.

I got to try a 424x too up against lots of nice Fenders (I was after the traditional p bass thump) and only an American P was a match for the 424x (IMHO of course.) The 1024x, which I bought blind on the strength of recommendations on here surpassed my expectations. I really like the fact that it's PJ too.

Now, I'm lucky that when I sold my old motorbike I could use the money to buy my Sandberg Califormia JM. The Sandberg probably is just that bit more 'comfortable' in the neck and it's a cracking bass too, maybe more 'polished' sounding. But I bought the Yam to give me 'rock monster' tone and it delivers that perfectly.

No idea what a 2000 would be like, but I can thoroughly recommend the 1024x.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1394741488' post='2394738']

[/quote]
Sorry I meant how close to USA fender (post2008) and sandberg are the 1024/5 series

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1394749782' post='2394908']
Just been playing my 1024x, which I got new (ex-display, but aren't they all) for £520. It is a fabulous bass and the pick ups are immense.

I got to try a 424x too up against lots of nice Fenders (I was after the traditional p bass thump) and only an American P was a match for the 424x (IMHO of course.) The 1024x, which I bought blind on the strength of recommendations on here surpassed my expectations. I really like the fact that it's PJ too.

Now, I'm lucky that when I sold my old motorbike I could use the money to buy my Sandberg Califormia JM. The Sandberg probably is just that bit more 'comfortable' in the neck and it's a cracking bass too, maybe more 'polished' sounding. But I bought the Yam to give me 'rock monster' tone and it delivers that perfectly.

No idea what a 2000 would be like, but I can thoroughly recommend the 1024x.
[/quote]
That's what I was wanting to hear! Cheers

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1394752685' post='2394968']
I just realised Beedster makes the 2024 sound like the ultimate 'Sneak this expensive guitar past your partner' bass. I wonder how many have been sold purely on that basis!
[/quote]

That's a very good point

• 6 months later...

I've had my BB2025x for four and a half years. It's absolutely stonking. If I'm absolutely honest it sounds better my BB2024x, I think the extra mass of neck and pickups contributes to that, it really is a brutal rock machine. B string is up there with Sadowsky.

It's not about the width at the neck, it's more about the circumference. The BB2024 is quite deep and is as much of a handful as my Valenti which is 44mm wide but the circumference is the same and consequently the string spacing is a bit different.