Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1024X vs BB2024X

Clarky72

Well, the 2000 series is hand-built in Japan, and the 1000 series line assembled in Taiwan, and there are a few minor differences in materials - 2000 series has maple and mahogany thru-neck; 1000 series has maple and nato - but it's mostly ARE (acoustic resonance enhancement) and IRA (initial response acceleration). You cane read about those at Yamaha's website [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/bb/features/page4.html"]http://www.yamaha.co...ures/page4.html[/url] . Basically, the 2000 series should sound/respond like a vintage/played-in instrument, and the 1000 series should feel/play like it's just come off the production line.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1346253451' post='1787048']So nothing then! ;)[/quote]
What I'd have said initially. Why my first purchase was a 1025. But had the opportunity to try a few 2000 series models, and was sufficiently impressed at the difference to add a 2024 to my rack of vintage BBs.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1346253564' post='1787051']+1[/quote]
Oh, with a list price difference closer to £1,500 I'll agree, the jump from 1000 to 2000 series in terms of cost is crazy. But the production of 2000 series instruments is limited. It's not quite made to order, but it's pretty close. The 2000 series does feel like a higher quality product.

Neither of mine are the X versions, as I don't like the look of the control and scratch plates. You're lucky you found somewhere with one in stock to try out. Most of the resellers/authorised dealerships I spoke with weren't prepared to get one in unless I paid for it in advance. Crazy situation. I had to wait until I was out of the country.

I havent played the 1024 so I can't comment on them , but I am very familiar with the 2024x and I think that these bassses are actually a bit of a bargain , even at over two grand. These Japanese-made Yamahas' are genuine high-quality instruments, and much better- made than a lot of basses I have played and owned from supposedly high-end boutque builders. Everything on these 2000 Series Yamahas' is done to perfection , and it shows in the cohesion of the final product. These basses play superbly well, and sound astonishingly good too. What's more , they have a unique sound that seemlessly blends the modern and the traditional and just sounds "right", if you know what I mean. They have got all the depth, punch and power of an active bass , but also the natural organic qualities of a classic passive bass. I have read comments in various places where people have scoffed at the idea of paying this kind of money for a Yamaha, but these comments are a long way wide of the mark; I think these basses are better than anything else I have played in this price range, and for what they are I would put them up against any bass at any price. As you can probably tell, I like them. A lot.

Edited by Dingus

I've tried a BB1024 and was impressed, it easily compares with a Lakland Skyline or Musicman for build quality and sound quality. The BB2024x and BB2025x that I have are sublime, top end instruments that feel, look and play like the £2k+ instruments they are. They are very special and I'm impressed with them every day (I've had them about two years and in that tim ( ;) )have found nothing that I have lusted over as much. They chime and breathe and feel absolutely right. I have a PRS C22 guitar which is an exceptionally good example of that make/model and both Yams are a step above that in all respects. If anyone has any doubts about the 2025x's B-string I can confirm that it is as good as any 34" scale low B I have ever tried.

Negatives? Yes, I suppose. Single coil hum but this doesn't bother me. Anything else? Uh, not for me but some people baulk at paying £2k for an instrument that is easily mistaken by Joe Public for a mid-range bass. But then again these people that baulk probably wouldn't buy a Sadowsky because it looks like a Fender copy. I love my BBs and think they are worth every penny. I did some sound clips on one of the Yamaha threads and the modern Super BBs just wet all over the other cheaper BBs I have. Unfortunately for a full comparison, you would have to feel them, play them and live with them; I'd put them up against any custom made luthier instrument of similar construction.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1346269971' post='1787349'][S]ome people baulk at paying £2k for an instrument that is easily mistaken by Joe Public for a mid-range bass. But then again these people that baulk probably wouldn't buy a Sadowsky because it looks like a Fender copy.[/quote]
Actually, a lot of those people would probably go out and buy a Custom Shop Fender, spending £2k +, or a Master Built Fender, paying £4k +. But, as a 2000 series BB is easily the measure of any Master Built Fender, guess the last laugh is with the Yamaha owners.

Not tried either. BUT I am a massive Yamaha fan, and have two 6 string guitars. One is a Pacifica 812, decent, but the other is an early 80's SA2000. Everything about this guitar screams quality. It is the best guitar I own, and is worth WAY WAY more than the £700 I gave for it 15 years ago.

So, based on this, and the fact that they look the dogs, I would get a 2024/5 in a heartbeat.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1346282526' post='1787577']
Not tried either. BUT I am a massive Yamaha fan, and have two 6 string guitars. One is a Pacifica 812, decent, but the other is an early 80's SA2000. Everything about this guitar screams quality. It is the best guitar I own, and is worth WAY WAY more than the £700 I gave for it 15 years ago.

So, based on this, and the fact that they look the dogs, I would get a 2024/5 in a heartbeat.
[/quote] agreed, I looked down a bit at yamahas, since getting my 80s SG400 I don't. To get similar quality secondhand I would have to spend a hell of a lot, and its supposed to be a mid range level!

• 3 months later...

I've been bought a used 1024 this week by my lovely wife & I'm impressed. However one little fault was that I had to reposition the bridge as it was on the piss. If I'd have bought it new there's no way it would have left the shop. I'm sure not many pass qc like this & now its done its perfect.
It is again another bass that fuels my love for the Bb.

• 5 months later...

I'm very interested in the above comments. I bought a 1024x earlier this year and think it's just wonderful - quite hard to imagine how a 2024 could possibly be so much better as to be worth another grand - but then, I've never tried one..... One day!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370424556' post='2100521']
I haven't played a 2024/5, could probably never justify the cost but all you have to ask is do you care if the wood has been treated or what factory it was made in. I don't so the 1024 for me was a no brainer.
[/quote]

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370424556' post='2100521']
I haven't played a 2024/5, could probably never justify the cost but all you have to ask is do you care if the wood has been treated or what factory it was made in. I don't so the 1024 for me was a no brainer.
[/quote]

It's not quite as simple as that, so I'll elaborate and clarify.

Wood treatment aside. The 2000s are luthier made in a workshop in small numbers to extremely high quality standards by highly skilled craftsmen and take many more man hours to complete. The 1000s, although extremely well finished, are factory made using mass production techniques and do not have the attention to detail throughout the process that the 2000s do.

The resulting products differ massively in feel and playability to a discerning player.

The difference between the two is significant and can be compared to the difference between a Standard US Fender and a Master Built Custom Shop Fender.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1370426748' post='2100557']
It's not quite as simple as that, so I'll elaborate and clarify.

Wood treatment aside. The 2000s are luthier made in a workshop in small numbers to extremely high quality standards by highly skilled craftsmen and take many more man hours to complete. The 1000s, although extremely well finished, are factory made using mass production techniques and do not have the attention to detail throughout the process that the 2000s do.

The resulting products differ massively in feel and playability to a discerning player.

The difference between the two is significant and can be compared to the difference between a Standard US Fender and a Master Built Custom Shop Fender.
[/quote]

Exactly this . I haven't played a 1024/1025 so I can't comment on them , but when it comes to high - end basses I've played most of what's out there and the Yamaha 2024/2025 are some of the very best quality basses available at any price , easily the match for whatever exotic custom- built bass you care to mention . I would compare the overall construction quality to NYC Sadowsky , U.S Lakland , Fodera ect , and by that comparison I mean that they are made to the highest standards of construction that a guitar can be made to . That quality translates to an amazing sound and effortless feel to the finished bass .

Yup, the 1024s are very nice, but the 2024s I've played were something else entirely. Because they don't look (from a distance) like a boutique/luthier built bass, I think people underestimate their quality - you have to play them to really appreciate them.

Edited by Muzz

I'm not in anyway knocking those "discerning players" who have bought these basses and if money were no object I'm sure I'd buy one myself but I don't think I'm alone when I say I don't need the wow factor that the 202's offer. They are a nicety I can't afford and to be honest I think I'd be far too worried to gig something that expensive. I have been a Yamaha convert for years so I'm not knocking them or the people who buy their gear.

I'm not a particularly discerning player having been quite happy with lower end gear inbetween the odd mad GAS attack. I got hooked on a 2024 because of how it sounds. Its just "there" - the sound that I've spent ages trying to create with amps and fx and god knows what. Turned out I just needed to shell out on the right bass. :rolleyes:

I haven't played a 1024 enough to do a fair comparison with its brother. But compared to (say) my stingray, which was £400 cheaper (new) than the 2024 - I'd say that they ('ray and 2024) feel very similar from a quality / build / feel perspective. Both almost fautless to be fair. The 2024 has proved to be slightly less hard-waring. I take excellent care of my gear - but it gains micro-scratches just by looking at it (maybe the gloss black shows it up more). Also the chrome has tarnished a little bit. Its no big deal and nothing to write home about - just that its lost its brand-newess a little quicker that I'd hoped. I guess its whats under the hood that counts. I'm thinking of selling everything else so I can have another one (mad GAS again!)