Why become a member? ×

Free practice room above pub for three gigs a year?

stingrayPete1977

We are just getting a fresh band together, pub set and wedding set yet to decide and learn but we have all been around the block so started by having a meeting without instruments first to discuss it all, pa situation undecided but at least out in the open right from the start, practice venue was discussed and we have got a function room above a pub right in the middle of us all every Thursday night for as long as we want as long as we do three free gigs a year for them? I think that's a fair deal, what do you lot think?

seems fair to me and local to all i would jump at it

and if you turn up really loud three thursdays a year thats the free gigs :P

but of course at some point you will have to turn down paid work to do these free gigs but could easy do 120 quid a month rehearsing in a studio and might not be so conveniant

Edited by mushers

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346356045' post='1788339']
We are just getting a fresh band together, pub set and wedding set yet to decide and learn but we have all been around the block so started by having a meeting without instruments first to discuss it all, pa situation undecided but at least out in the open right from the start, practice venue was discussed and we have got a function room above a pub right in the middle of us all every Thursday night for as long as we want as long as we do three free gigs a year for them? I think that's a fair deal, what do you lot think?
[/quote]

I think it is a fair deal for now...until you come to do the gigs and walk away unpaid. :lol:

Put some money in the pot so you have a pay out at the gig. Nothing so disheartening as coming away from a gig with nothing....zip, zlich..!!

Good the P.A issue is already out there.

The pub will be fairly flexible on the gig dates I'm sure and a couple of gigs there will be handy to get us started anyway. I'm glad the pa thing is up front too, it's often the bug bear! They (guitarist and singer couple) have a decent vocal pa for small gigs and we can hire one for bigger ones at a reasonable price, I'm not keen on clogging up my garage with speakers.

run a wedding and function band of my own and we do 2 or 3 pub gigs per year as showcases for potential clients and couples we play for pub money (£50 each) the pub gets a very good 7pc band with a big following for pub money and the clients get to see the band perform before they book us so maybe that could be a possible use for your 3 free gigs a year in this pub? just so your getting something from the gigs. Generally a free place to rehearse is never a bad thing so sounds like a good deal to me

[/quote]

A great opportunity. The only thing I`d look at is the PA situation. Having to cart one there every week, as well as individual band gear could end up being a hassle. If however you can leave it at the room, all well and good. That would be the only issue for me, other than that a great deal in my view.

That's a great idea Chrismanbass!

Pa for practice will be no problem Lozz, just one of those little Peavey fold out jobs will be enough for that, little cocktail drum kit, small guitar amp and me with a 1x12. We have between us enough bigger gear to do upto maybe a village hall/medium sized pub anything bigger will either need a hired one (£150 with a sound engineer if local) or we buy our own between us at a later date.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1346356381' post='1788351']
Sounds like a fair deal to me. A 3 hour rehersal costs around £28 a pop up here, so as long as you aren`t charging £600 per gig, you should be quids in!
[/quote]
£28? your lucky, a 3 hour rehersal costs [b]£45[/b] where I am, so I would jump at the chance of free rehearsals for 3 gigs a year.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346396359' post='1788625']
That's a great idea Chrismanbass!

Pa for practice will be no problem Lozz, just one of those little Peavey fold out jobs will be enough for that, little cocktail drum kit, small guitar amp and me with a 1x12. We have between us enough bigger gear to do upto maybe a village hall/medium sized pub anything bigger will either need a hired one (£150 with a sound engineer if local) or we buy our own between us at a later date.
[/quote]

In that case Pete, you can`t go wrong with that deal.

[/quote]

sounds like a nice deal, I'd take it if the location is not very inconvenient and access to the practice room is reasonable + secure.
Having been already in a position where we got ALL of our gear stolen one night from a practice room, I would not want to be there again.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1346363925' post='1788510']
run a wedding and function band of my own and we do 2 or 3 pub gigs per year as showcases for potential clients and couples we play for pub money (£50 each) the pub gets a very good 7pc band with a big following for pub money and the clients get to see the band perform before they book us so maybe that could be a possible use for your 3 free gigs a year in this pub? just so your getting something from the gigs. Generally a free place to rehearse is never a bad thing so sounds like a good deal to me
[/quote]

That's a GREAT idea.

I think it's a great deal for one year.

After that you'll (hopefully) be rehearsing less and gigging more , when I think you'd be better off re-negotiating to occassional rehearsals for one freebie a year.

We have a deal with the hop in Wakey. Rehearsels when we want - which is about 4 or 5 times a year ( usually 1 hours playing and 3 hours in the bar drinking) in return for accepting £170 for paid gigs (4 per year) when we should be insisting on £200 at least for that pub.

My best ever deal was a few years ago at OD's in Wakey. When we played there we got £150 which would put about £40 in my pocket after petrol money (none to me , I don't drive to gigs). So - we changed that to £100 (which Mart and Rod split) plus 50 pints for me (no time limit). As it was my local and decent bitter was about £1.50 at the time I reckon I was doing good !!

Sounds like a deal to me, especially if they will let you store gear there as well. Had a similar deal with The Tardebigge out by Bromsgrove in the late 70s. I think they went off the idea when they realised we were a 'new wave rock n roll band' and not a covers band doing Tie a Yellow Ribbon :P

They kept their side though, even though we rehearsed 3 times a week, I dont think we ever got round to doing the free gigs come to think of it.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1346430014' post='1789189']
Sounds like a deal to me, especially if they will let you store gear there as well. Had a similar deal with The Tardebigge out by Bromsgrove in the late 70s. I think they went off the idea when they realised we were a 'new wave rock n roll band' and not a covers band doing Tie a Yellow Ribbon :P

They kept their side though, even though we rehearsed 3 times a week, I dont think we ever got round to doing the free gigs come to think of it.
[/quote]
I dont think any of us will be leaving gear there, maybe the kit if we practice on a thursday night before one of the free friday night gigs although if we did buy a medium sized pa between us the option of keeping it there might be worth looking at, the function room is upstairs and the people live on the floor above so its very secure. We could take all the leads and the mixer away then chain the cabs together by the handles which would stop anyone else using them and the chances of anyone carrying them down the stairs would be nil then too, Hhmmm food for thought :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346427516' post='1789158']
I won't leave any gear there Jose, it's not worth it plus I can carry my 1x12, bag and an SR5 in one go :)
[/quote]

Ultra portable, nice. IN that case security is a non-issue. For you at least, and who would steal a drum kit? :P

[/quote]

Seems like a brilliant deal. Refreshments on tap too!!