Why become a member? ×

I love the personal touch

Doc B

I know there are loads of players on here who have had instruments specially built for them but that's something I think the majority of us have no experience of.

But - today I ordered a set of Wizard 64s and Andy at Wizard ended the call with, "we've just started making them now..."

I love that, actually speaking to the guys making them. Had the same experience when I ordered my Status from Rob and Dawn.

I dunno why but it made me feel a bit special, knowing I had been in touch with the actual people making them.

+1 for Status. I just bought some of their hotwire strings which were delayed due their supplier. I had one phone call and 4 emails keeping me informed. Impressive for £25 worth of business. I wish other suppliers would take note as I know where I will go when I have the big bucks to treat myself
D

my first bass was a status shark. It had been sitting in the shops for 7 years. after the first few days i realised one of the pups was really wonky as the foam pad was right under one end of the pup. I thought there should be 2 pads (one at each end) so rang status up to have a nice convo with a guy who put the basses together who told me how to fix it.
tec soundsytems/tec amp were also really really helpfull with a replacement switch.
now if i ring fender will i get the same service?

Dennis Cornell - what a don. The guy builds Clapton's amps. I asked him about getting one of his studio (guitar) amps with a different speaker. He said the speaker I was after was identical to a Fender branded one that was built by Jensen. He said he had one lying around and could put it in for me.

He sounded like he thought I was speaking in Martian when I asked him how much extra it would cost for the upgraded speaker. He did it for nothing.

I've asked him about a couple of things since - very cool guy. When you ring the company, you always get him on the phone personally.

[quote name='The Funk' post='191812' date='May 4 2008, 08:08 PM']Dennis Cornell - what a don. The guy builds Clapton's amps. I asked him about getting one of his studio (guitar) amps with a different speaker. He said the speaker I was after was identical to a Fender branded one that was built by Jensen. He said he had one lying around and could put it in for me.

He sounded like he thought I was speaking in Martian when I asked him how much extra it would cost for the upgraded speaker. He did it for nothing.

I've asked him about a couple of things since - very cool guy. When you ring the company, you always get him on the phone personally.[/quote]

Yep, Denis is a great guy and really knows his stuff.

He kindly lent us one of his valve heads for our first trade show which we demoed via BAG END speakers.

One of the best valve guys in Europe period.

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='SMART' post='191917' date='May 4 2008, 11:09 PM']Yep, Denis is a great guy and really knows his stuff.

He kindly lent us one of his valve heads for our first trade show which we demoed via BAG END speakers.

One of the best valve guys in Europe period.

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Another + 1 for Denis. My Cornell Romany Plus needed repair and moding so it can switch down to 1/4 watt and I took it down to his place in Southend.

He welcomed the amp back like a long lost son and talked really enthusiastically about it. He even told me who he thought I'd bought the amp off! (and got it right).

I got to try out a prototype bass combo (very nice) using his very old and well used and re-necked Jazz bass (he's a bass player - maybe he should be invited to join basschat!)

It's great that small producers like Denis keep going - producing stuff of such quality.

David

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='191735' date='May 4 2008, 06:30 PM']now if i ring fender will i get the same service?[/quote]

I had an exchange with a guy on the design team for the BAM amp head at Peavey when I was sorting a glitch with the octaver.
They do support via their forums and the appropriate Peavey people contribute regularly, ask for views for the next version etc...
Not bad for a business of such size.

PJ Rubal & Stuart Spector have looked after me at all stages of my career, even before I had an endorsement with Spector....

They handled special orders, answered questions, provided spares etc for me for many years & have always been incredibly helpful! A1 service all round! :)

Edited by cetera