Why become a member? ×

This Jaco Thing, And How To Make MILLIONS!!!

Hot Tub

In a few easy steps (bear with me, you'll see where I'm going!)...

1. Get a '62 Jazz
2. Tear the frets out and cover the mess with cheap wood filler
3. Smash it. Into several pieces.
4. Have someone glue it all back together. Add some epoxy and laminate to cover the mess.

Now, let some pro's play it. Apparently, it will sound better than any instrument ever made.

Fender, over the years/decades, have spent MILLIONS on research and development, trying to build the perfect instrument(s), but apparently all we have to do is smash up an old one, glue it back together, and it's the best bass EVER! It seems to "know" what notes to play! It's a miracle!

Now, call me cynical, but...... do you think any of this would apply if it was YOUR instrument? :)

This, my friends, is bass snobbery.

Edited by Astronomer

Are you saying the unbiased journalist and the musicians they pay (who are unknown outside of the bas playing community) of Bass Player magazine would attach a disproportionate amount of praise on an instrument just because some dead hippy once played a couple of notes on tiny percentage of the parts which now constitute said bass?

I'm fed up with you conspiracy theorists.

[quote name='Astronomer' post='190858' date='May 2 2008, 09:06 PM']do you think any of this would apply if it was YOUR instrument? :)[/quote]

Only if I became one of the most well respected players in the world and then died.

Dweezil Zappa's pretty happy about playing the remnants of Hendrix's Monterey guitar. I think I would be too, not because of the instrument itself but who actually once played it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190862' date='May 2 2008, 09:12 PM']Are you saying the unbiased journalist and the musicians they pay (who are unknown outside of the bas playing community) of Bass Player magazine would attach a disproportionate amount of praise on an instrument just because some dead hippy once played a couple of notes on tiny percentage of the parts which now constitute said bass?[/quote]

Yes.

:)

And I don't think there's any conspiracy at all. I think it's just... well... shallow. :huh:

Its not his bass!

If something is broken into 14 peices, glued back together with missing bits replaced, and laminated all over, its a different instrument!

Bass Player magazine will tell you that construction and materials used make a big difference to tone, but, as if my miracle "Jaco's Bass" has been ran over by a taxi and not changed a bit.

These fella should have been handed a bass blindfolded and not told what it is. I'm not so sure they'd be saying the same thing.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190868' date='May 2 2008, 09:19 PM']Its not his bass!

If something is broken into 14 peices, glued back together with missing bits replaced, and laminated all over, its a different instrument!

Bass Player magazine will tell you that construction and materials used make a big difference to tone, but, as if my miracle "Jaco's Bass" has been ran over by a taxi and not changed a bit.

These fella should have been handed a bass blindfolded and not told what it is. I'm not so sure they'd be saying the same thing.[/quote]

I wonder if Fender will be releasing a limited edition custom shop version of the post repair bass? Complete with replicated splits and original identical tyre marks?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='190872' date='May 2 2008, 09:40 PM']I wonder if Fender will be releasing a limited edition custom shop version of the post repair bass? Complete with replicated splits and original identical tyre marks?[/quote]

Shh, if they read this, they'll probably start full scale production in a week on tuesday. Stop giving them ideas to expand their current range of essentially 5 instruments.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190868' date='May 2 2008, 09:19 PM']These fella should have been handed a bass blindfolded and not told what it is. I'm not so sure they'd be saying the same thing.[/quote]

PRECISELY my point! You said it far better than I could - thank you! :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='190893' date='May 2 2008, 10:09 PM']Shh, if they read this, they'll probably start full scale production in a week on tuesday. Stop giving them ideas to expand their current range of essentially 5 instruments.[/quote]

5... 5... your telling me Fender have 3 other basses in their product range :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='190954' date='May 2 2008, 11:49 PM']5... 5... your telling me Fender have 3 other basses in their product range :)[/quote]

There's that Telecaster-style bass with the big humbucker at the neck. Stumped on the other two!

Edited by The Funk

I did say instruments, not just basses :)

I was going for: Jazz, Precision, Jaguar, Strat and Tele. Granted they've got a couple of other things here and there, but they are the big F's main 5 you see fairly regulary (well, maybe not the the Jag).

I'm reminded of an American joke I heard a while ago, which goes something like this: "This is George Washington's axe. The handle has been replaced five times, and the head has been replaced twice, but it's the real deal!"

[quote name='Buzz' post='190893' date='May 2 2008, 10:09 PM']Shh, if they read this, they'll probably start full scale production in a week on tuesday. Stop giving them ideas to expand their current range of essentially 5 instruments.[/quote]
And charge maybe £2500 a bass because all the scratches and dents have been lovingly hand crafted using an original New York yellow cab driven carefully and precisely by one of Fenders master craftsmen? Workmanship and attention to detail like that doesn't come cheap.

[quote name='finnbass' post='191430' date='May 4 2008, 01:28 AM']Yeah!... and there's no original case...[/quote]

That's it then....no Fender case candy....no deal!

I can't believe Will Lee saying the Jaco tribute bass is a work of art...I tried one, it was awful.

I have to say the whole thread is brilliant but these two messages had me crying with laughter. Thank you you have made my sunday start of with a bang........."some dead hippy" genius!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190862' date='May 2 2008, 09:12 PM']Are you saying the unbiased journalist and the musicians they pay (who are unknown outside of the bas playing community) of Bass Player magazine would attach a disproportionate amount of praise on an instrument just because [color="#FF0000"]some dead hippy once played a couple of notes on tiny percentage of the parts which now constitute said bass?[/color]

I'm fed up with you conspiracy theorists.[/quote]

[quote name='finnbass' post='190909' date='May 2 2008, 10:27 PM']Sounds like Trigger's broom :)[/quote]