Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass Jaco pastorius : Tribute or Artist signature

Emanew

Hi gareth,
Thanks for sharing.

Actually, there is a difference between Tribute and Artist. The Jazz bass Tribute is done by the custom shop. It has a relic look.

So it is
1 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Artist signature.[/u] It has a "Jaco" on the neck plate. It has [u]not[/u] a relic look.
2 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Tribute [/u]made by the Custom Shop. It has a [u]relic look[/u]
3 - JB Jaco Pastorius Artist Series Custom Shop Tribute limited 100. It was in 1991 (the James Jamerson Precision Tribute was made at the same time). The basses this year [u]had not[/u] a relic look. Both fretted and fretless were made in 100.
there is a tribute text written on the neck plate and a 100 limited serial number.

1 1 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Artist signature.[/u] "Jaco" neck plate. [u]not[/u] reliced.
[u][/u]
[u]Thanks to Bassmasta for new better quality pictures[/u]

2 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Tribute [/u]made by the Custom Shop. relic look

3 - JB Jaco Pastorius Artist Series Custom Shop Tribute limited 100 only in 1991.

Edited by Emanew

I am going to be controversial here: [u][b]you are never going to sound or play like Jaco[/b][/u], he was a one off player, unique and unimitable, even if you owned his very bass and amp you still wouldn't sound like him, in fact no one ever will. I've heard many pro players trying to imitate the sound, none got close to Jaco style of phrasing, harmonizing and soloing.

If you are seeking to get the closest bass possible to the one he owned just as a collector item, then it would be a different matter.

Sorry for the interruption, continue on.....

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1347867868' post='1805801']
Did [i]any[/i] of those models have epoxy on the 'board? Also, it's bloody confusing having three models.
[/quote]
I have a US Jaco fretless (I think its a US tribute model that has been relic'd after buying) and it has an epoxied neck

Pics here (in chris2112's FS thread): [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184831-for-salefor-trade-fender-jaco-pastorius-fretless-jazz-bass/page__p__1782125__hl__jaco__fromsearch__1#entry1782125"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184831-for-salefor-trade-fender-jaco-pastorius-fretless-jazz-bass/page__p__1782125__hl__jaco__fromsearch__1#entry1782125[/url]

I was recently very impressed by the following Jaco style bass in the for sale forum. Check out the video. And the price. Of course, being a great player helps ¦:¬)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185997-fs-vintage-vj96mr-icon-series-fretless-bass-guitar-distressed-l160/page__p__1794707__hl__vintage%20wal__fromsearch__1#entry1794707

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347869376' post='1805825']
I spent a considerable amount of time playing 2 artist signatures. IMO they were only marginally better than the Squier VMJ fretless that cost about a tenth of the price.
[/quote] which tells you something about how good that squier is.

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347831579' post='1805658']
Hi gareth,
Thanks for sharing.

Actually, there is a difference between Tribute and Artist. The Jazz bass Tribute is done by the custom shop. It has a relic look.

So it is
1 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Artist signature.[/u] It has a "Jaco" on the neck plate. It has [u]not[/u] a relic look.
2 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Tribute [/u]made by the Custom Shop. It has a [u]relic look[/u]
3 - JB Jaco Pastorius Artist Series Custom Shop Tribute limited 100. It was in 1991 (the James Jamerson Precision Tribute was made at the same time). The basses this year [u]had not[/u] a relic look. Both fretted and fretless were made in 100.
there is a tribute text written on the neck plate and a 100 limited serial number.

1 1 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Artist signature.[/u] "Jaco" neck plate. [u]not[/u] reliced.

2 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u]Tribute [/u]made by the Custom Shop. relic look

3 - JB Jaco Pastorius Artist Series Custom Shop Tribute limited 100 only in 1991.

[/quote]

thanks for explaining that

so to confirm that I had 1 1 - JB Jaco Pastorius [u][u]Artist signature.[/u][/u] "Jaco" neck plate. [u][u]not[/u][/u] reliced

as i said above it was an unremarkable bass

as others have said if you are looking for a fretless i would look elsewhere

just by having one of these - its not gonna make you sound like jaco

as ever its all in the hands :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1347838932' post='1805736']
I am going to be controversial here: you are never going to sound or play like Jaco, he was a one off player, unique...

Sorry for the interruption, continue on.....
[/quote]

I totally agree with you. Pat Metheny tells it very well.
I am no more a teenager.... unfortunatly :D

I own a 1989 US Jazz Bass 62 Reissue FRETTED. I am looking for the same version in Fretless to have this so well designed neck.
I don't find a US reissue 62 fretless so i was interested in getting informations about these Jaco basses.
I also want a 60's PU position, alder or swap ash body, Kluxon tuners keys
I like this famous Jaco minimalist look that's why i said : "why not trying a Jaco version ?"

Thanks for answering fellow groovers ! :)
I am going to look for MIJ Jazz Bass fretless too

Let's keep on sharing.

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1347958879' post='1807052']
There are actually 4 Jaco basses. The three mentioned above and the "Bass of Doom" :)
[/quote]

:D Cool !

There are even 5 :
- THE 62 JB fretless aka Bass of Doom.

- His 60 JB fretted, famous for starring in "Portrait of Tracy" and Joni Mitchell period.
For me, "Portrait of Tracy" and "Continuum" are among the most poetic compositions in Modern Jazz and even in Modern Music.

There is only ONE JACO whatever the piece of wood he was playing.
I am becoming too lyrical :D let's come back to instruments...

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347984403' post='1807686']
:D Cool !

There are even 5 :
- THE 62 JB fretless aka Bass of Doom

- His 60 JB fretted, famous for starring in "Portrait of Tracy" and Joni Mitchell period.
For me, "Portrait of Tracy" and "Continuum" are among the most poetic compositions in Modern Jazz and even in Modern Music.

There is only ONE JACO whatever the piece of wood he was playing.
I am becoming too lyrical :D let's come back to instruments...
[/quote]

and none of them will make you sound like jaco

jaco could have got his "sound" from a de-fretted affinity series squire jazz :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347959595' post='1807068']

Which these days bears little physical resemblance to the bass Jaco is famous for playing.
[/quote]

It has been indeed "redesigned" by Kevin Kaufman with the remaining "poor" pieces.
But Jaco was satified, so let it be...

I prefer its original sunburst worn up look.

Edited by Emanew

I don't think any of us will ever sound like Jaco.
None of the famous names who played the reconstituted Bass Of Doom in the video on youtube sounded like him either.

What they did sound though, was good.

There's also a fair bit of potential for many of the fine players on here to sound good using a fretless jazz.
It's an iconic sound, a fretless jazz on the back pickup with the tone rolled off a bit.

I really don't see the issue with any of us getting a hold of a Fender Jaco if we can afford it or either the Vintage reliced job or the VM Squier fretless if that's more to our budget..
I think we're all aware we won't sound like Jaco, but there's nothing wrong with buying a fretless sunburst jazz.

I'll never be a millionth of the musician Jaco was, but I'm unapologetically having a fretless jazz.

You summarize perfectly my approach, dear JohnF !
You speak like a wise man. Thanks :)

For me, the point is :
to find a good instrument ( with a cool look ) with the specifications ( neck shape, woods, tuners, PU type and position, coat ) i am looking for.

I ask for other experiences and chating with fellow bassists.

I tried a Jaco Signature and my feeling isn't as good as i have with my old JB US reissue 62 fretted. It doesn't mean all Jaco Artist Signature are bad.
I am going towards the Jaco JB Tribute.

A video with the standart Jaco Artist signature Jazz Bass:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vKQcRpMzWY&feature=related[/media]

Another with the Custom shop Jaco Pastorius Tribute Jazz Bass :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dC1Z9sh6FU[/media]

Edited by Emanew

Just for pleasure, The refound and reborn Bass of Doom played by Victor Bailey mainly, and Will Lee, Victor Wooten.

Each bassist has HIS sound even with The Bass of Doom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1L-Vw0Ems&feature=youtube_gdata_player