Why become a member? ×

Gig Scam is back

OldGit

Heads- up
That gig scam is back... the email to me says:

--------------------------------------
Hi,
Glad to inform you that , there would be a Wedding Ceremony of my beloved sister (Michelle), coming up on the 15th of MAY 2008 which would be held in within the state, but the location is yet to announce by the party planner, so we would need a musician/band player e.t.c on that day , we will want to know if you will be available to render us your valuable service for that date, if so , we would need you for the service, People in Attendance would be between 150/200. so we would want you to get back to us with the total cost for the services and your availability .I would be glad to read from you regarding your service to us that day.
Thanks.
Dr Bill.
-----------------------------

This does the rounds in various forms now and then

No one has ever worked out what the scam is but don't bother to reply unless you want to find out.

People have played the game before but AFAIK no one's taken it far enough to sus out what they are really trying to do but I'd bet my wife's shoe collection that there's no gig or money on offer ...

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='191557' date='May 4 2008, 01:08 PM']What email adress is it from? I'll send them an email accepting and I'll try to sus it out.

I love having fun with these guys. I managed to get one of these clowns to promise me first dibs on an "unnatural sex act" with his sister the other week![/quote]

Haha, I hate these foreign scam artists, I'll tell you how the scam will probbably go. Once you agree to play the function, and you quote them a price, lets say £1000 for the evening. They will send you a cheque, a fake one, for the amount of say £4000 before you even play the gig. They will ask you to cash it into your account and for you to foward on to them, the £3000 remaining after you've taken your grand. They will ask you to do this out of "trust". The cheque is fake, when the bank realise this, they take back the money that went into your account, so you're £4000 out of pocket, and the scammer has his £3000 that you foward to him.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='191557' date='May 4 2008, 01:08 PM']What email adress is it from? I'll send them an email accepting and I'll try to sus it out.

I love having fun with these guys. I managed to get one of these clowns to promise me first dibs on an "unnatural sex act" with his sister the other week![/quote]

Ah sorry BBC .. I'm sure you could have fun with them but it was in my junk mail bucket and I've had a look through the erased file and aparrently my email s/w doesn't keep stuff I erase directly from the Junk folder.
It's gone but I am sure other's will get it too.

I've just had 2 dodgy emails from my ad on Gumtree. The first one insisted that they wanted to pay by cheque and the second one offered £200 over what I was asking!! I haven't even replied to that one!

Edited by chris_b

We recently advertised a car on Autotrader and had many email responses like this, offering to buy the car without viewing for full asking price. We knew they were a scam but did no what one.... until now! Thanks for the enlightenment guys! Needless to say we didn't respond to any!

Steve

There is a fairly extensive thread on here somewhere about this. I replied putting my own conditions on the gig, telling him where to send the money etc, and he disappeared. A bit like tBBC though, I do like to have a little game with these, so long as they can't find out who you are.

[quote name='kevbass' post='191567' date='May 4 2008, 01:26 PM']Haha, I hate these foreign scam artists, I'll tell you how the scam will probbably go. Once you agree to play the function, and you quote them a price, lets say £1000 for the evening. They will send you a cheque, a fake one, for the amount of say £4000 before you even play the gig. They will ask you to cash it into your account and for you to foward on to them, the £3000 remaining after you've taken your grand. They will ask you to do this out of "trust". The cheque is fake, when the bank realise this, they take back the money that went into your account, so you're £4000 out of pocket, and the scammer has his £3000 that you foward to him.[/quote]

the difference in sums here is for you to pass on to their local agent to arrange your transportation, accommodation and other hassles... they always want the difference wiring on immediately by Western Union or similar...

I had similar ones when I was selling one of my dingies... the purchaser wanted to purchase it sight unseen and have it shipped out via his agent... with me wiring the difference to his local agent...

I regularly get job offerings tempting me to be their local agent as well... the agent gets a small commission for every wire he collects for them and forwards on...

It's usually the work from home jobs where they want to make use of your bank account and phone