Why become a member? ×

Another Poor Service Rant

kevbass

Hello ladies and gents.

I just thought I'd come on here and vent my frustration in regards to the attitude I got from my local music shop this morning. I've been going to my local music shop called Sutton Music Centre since I was about 18, I'm 26 now. I have bought a bass, two amps, books, and countless packets of strings and not to mention on occassion a repair or service when nessecary.

I take my bass into them this morning, and I ask for a full service, set up, new nut and a look at the earthing because I get a lot of hum when I plug in, only to be met with the response of "Im too busy", now this was from the guy who actually owns the place. He said he couldnt take anymore in because he had a whopping "four guitars to do ahead of mine!". I said I didnt mind the wait as Im not in a band right now so no rush, but still he said no and said to call his tech sometime next week. So I walk out of the door with my bass on my shoulder still.

Now, what gets to me is he's obviously doing so well he can turn his nose up at regular customers and refuse business, as a local small shop you'd think that no matter how busy you were you'd do what you could to squeeze in the extra work if it came along, especially if you were told there was no rush for it. I will never ever go back to that place and from now on my custom goes to Feline guitars in croydon who ive always experienced 1st class service from.

good on you mate,stick to your guns and take your buisness elsewhere.
Theres a local shop near me i wouldnt go near and its 10 mins walk from my house, my mate bought is epiphone SG and laney combo from there years ago and said the service was lousy.
I"ve just bought my mex precision from a shop 30 miles away from my house because they couldnt do enough for me, they even phoned me when i was on the train to ask me if i needed directions to the shop, needless to say if i buy another bass i will buy it from this shop,no hesitations whatsoever and it cost me 11 quid to get there.

I've got a bit of a story in reverse!! I used to go into my local music shop in Ormskirk, but I always found the guy unwilling really to do anything to help. It was like cutomers where a pain. Well it was recently bought out by another guy and from the moment i first met him he's always been very helpful to the point that I've probably spent £1200 there in a bout 6 months!!!

You're dead right to take your business else where.

[quote name='kevbass' post='191575' date='May 4 2008, 01:36 PM']from now on my custom goes to Feline guitars in croydon who ive always experienced 1st class service from.[/quote]

I once gave them 6 guitars to upgrade/set up in a week. They did it on time and did a great job on all 6.

Jonathan let me try out two of the Feline basses there too. The Stingray clone was the best Stingray I've ever played - cheaper than a new Musicman one too.

Very nice guy who's very knowledgeable and who always does a great job. Can't really argue with that, eh?

[quote name='The Funk' post='191674' date='May 4 2008, 04:53 PM']I once gave them 6 guitars to upgrade/set up in a week. They did it on time and did a great job on all 6.

Jonathan let me try out two of the Feline basses there too. The Stingray clone was the best Stingray I've ever played - cheaper than a new Musicman one too.

Very nice guy who's very knowledgeable and who always does a great job. Can't really argue with that, eh?[/quote]

Yeah he's a nice bloke, he let me try that stingray clone also and I was pretty impressed with it.

[quote name='kevbass' post='191919' date='May 4 2008, 10:14 PM']Yeah he's a nice bloke, he let me try that stingray clone also and I was pretty impressed with it.[/quote]

+1 on Jonathan. Great bloke and really knows his sh*t. He is a guitar guy at heart, but he can do some great things with basses too. Ask him to show you pics of the Entwistle-style Alembic Explorer copy he made recently... :)