Why become a member? ×

Replacing a Silver Slap G with something slightly brighter

Clarky

Hey Daf, I have just put a brand new set of Silver Slaps on my Kolstein travel bass (which has a downsized body). The E/A/D have the usual thump and a reasonable amount of sustain, albeit lacking a little in volume (hardly surprising, given less air being moved). However, the G is really very lifeless, just a dull 'thunk' with virtually no sustain. I reckon its down to the bass' downsized body rather than a faulty string.

So I wondered if there is a single Innovation G string from one of the other lines (possibly Super Silver, 140SB, 140B???) that could be fitted in place to give a little more of a singing, sustaining quality without sounding tonally completely different from the E/A/D (or ratcheting up the tension massively)?

Cheers Clarky

Hi Clarky,
I'll send you another silver slap G to make sure it's not a duff string, and I'll also send you a set of super silvers so you can try the G with your slaps and also try the whole set of supers to see what works best for you. (And if it turns out to be a duff G string I will, of course, sort a replacement)

I've been meaning to get a trial set of the super silvers out anyway, so this seems a good time to start!

Hope that works for you. :)
Cheers,
Daf

Nice one Daf that's very kind. I have a gut feeling (awful pun ) that a slightly higher tension Super Silver might well do the trick. I am fairly sure it's down to the peculiarities of the smallKolstein body and not a duff G but this will give me the chance to rule that out. Great stuff :)

Had a quick play on the bass before leaving for work and - having retuned (as Silver Slaps stretch a lot in the first few days IME) - the G sounds slightly better to my ears. Maybe its the stretching/settling phase that is causing it to sound dull as there seems to be a small amount of sustain this morning. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my initial conclusion and I should leave it a few more days before properly passing judgment?

• 6 months later...