Why become a member? ×

what sort of stuff do you play?

Tait

a few months ago now my dad bought a double bass. i mess around on it fairly often, i can jam along to the blues with my dad and stuff so im not awful, but im no where near as good as i'd like to be. i think i got the technique about right, the bass is a little bit tall for me because its set to my dads height, but other than that i dont think im doing anything wrong technique wise. i think my problem is that apart from jamming with my dad and brother sometimes, all i can plya is i miss you by blink 182 lol. so what sort of stuff do you play when playing double bass to help you improve?

• 1 month later...

What is your style of playing? Have you moved from an electric bass to the double? It so you should take note that the double bass should not be thought of as just a big bass. There are certain hand techniques involved with a double that are particular to it - mainly hooking - you don't tend to use the tips of your fingers unless you are doing light nimble work. It is worth taking notice of this as it is easy to fall into bad habits that are tough to break. If you are serious about taking up the double then I suggest taking a couple lessons with an experienced bassist. It can never hurt! Once you have a frame work of good technique then you can build on it and you will find that your progression will become easier when learning Jazz styles and techniques. Blues and waliking lines is definately a good place to start! keep on it!!

i have moved on from electric to double bass, but my real problem is that i like sort of rocky/punky music, and honestly don't have a clue where to begin for playing double bass. i accept that im not going to be playing this sort of music on double bass, but i dont really know what sort of stuff you DO play on it.