Why become a member? ×

STRAPLOCKS

Count Bassy

Hi Clive

I prefer Boston straplocks for a few reasons

1. They're cheaper but still same quality as Schaller
2. They're compatible with the Schaller system
3. VERY IMPORTANT. They have two nuts on the shaft of the strap part as opposed to one. These act as locknuts. Schallers do not have this and unless you apply threadlock they tend to unscrew themselves over time, whereas the Boston ones do not.

cheers

Steve

I use Grolsch straplocks.

Buy two old-fashioned bottles of Grolsch, the ones with the porcelain & wire tops. Drink the contents. Remove the orange rubbery-plastic seals from the bottletops and wash them. Put them on the strap studs.

Works for me.

I have Schaller's on all 6 basses and use thread sealant on them, but I'd do that on any locking system not worth breaking a 1k+ bass over a 10p nut.

One thing I will say is pick a system you liek and stick with it, nothing worse than having multiple bass that need multiple straps and such.

These are they, can be bought from [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/Items/bsl-sl?sck=9125019"]here[/url] You can clearly see what I mean about the double locking nuts.

Edited by Muppet

Are the Dangleberry ones exactly the same as the Schallers but with two nuts? I nearly got a set for the Pedulla Buzz I've just bought, but chickened out at the last moment and found some cheap(er) Schallers on eBay. From the photo it also seems that the screws are a bit shorter, one of the things I like about the Schallers is they don't mess about with fitting the button to the bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='20170' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:32 PM']Are the Dangleberry ones exactly the same as the Schallers but with two nuts? I nearly got a set for the Pedulla Buzz I've just bought, but chickened out at the last moment and found some cheap(er) Schallers on eBay. From the photo it also seems that the screws are a bit shorter, one of the things I like about the Schallers is they don't mess about with fitting the button to the bass.[/quote]

In my experience they are directly compatible. I swap straps and guitars around all over the place - some have these some have Schallers - and they all fit perfectly. As far as screws go, I have no idea as ALL the screw supplied with all strap locks are just too short in my opinion and I replace them with better ones.

I thread lock (as opposed to thread sealant which is different) the Boston ones too though - better safe than sorry.

Steve

+1 for Grolsch!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1673&view=findpost&p=19730"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ost&p=19730[/url]

Though if you're a connosoo... connosew... beer snob, you could always buy a couple of nice bottles of belgian beer instead, some of them have the right stoppers. Or give the Grolsch to a lager-swilling friend.

[quote name='funkysimon' post='20228' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:11 PM']+1 for Grolsch!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1673&view=findpost&p=19730"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ost&p=19730[/url]

Though if you're a connosoo... connosew... beer snob, you could always buy a couple of nice bottles of belgian beer instead, some of them have the right stoppers. Or give the Grolsch to a lager-swilling friend.[/quote]

+100

i use grolsch ones, and gave some to my guitarist friend too.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='20585' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:58 AM']No takers for Dunlop then?
Clive[/quote]

I've got some on my bass and trust me I almost destroyed my thumbs putting them on, they are the most complex strap-locks out there without a doubt, I had a set of gold Warwick strap locks on my Spector and did a good job, they were easy to screw on and off if you need to change your strap height or what not> the Dunlops have a highly annoying little washer type thing which needs to be put into a very thin groove which you can barely see and having a thick Levy's strap dosen't quite help when trying to fit a tiny piece of flimsy metal into a microscopic groove, I'm just lucky I haven't had to change my strap length since I got them get in the frigging grooves, I guess thats the only good thing about them is they won't budge <_>

Edited by Josh

[quote name='d-basser' post='20098' date='Jun 19 2007, 12:00 PM']I got some Warwick ones off Thomann nice and cheap (same time as my bass to I avoided postage). They seem to work great[/quote]

Sorry, but I do have to say I have had a LOT of trouble with the Warwick strap locks on my old Corvette. If it wasn't the screw being quite short and resulting in the whole lock coming out of the bass, it would be the actual locking mechanism wouldn't be 100%. I might have just got a dud though.

I use Dunlop Straploks on all my basses after being very impressed with the recessed ones on my Thumb. I use the Dual Design on my others, which you can either uses strap locks or just a strap by itself. Insurance in case I should lose my strap and need to borrow another.

[quote name='Josh' post='20833' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:15 PM']I've got some on my bass and trust me I almost destroyed my thumbs putting them on, they are the most complex strap-locks out there without a doubt[/quote]

Yeah! I wish they had proper instructions on how to fit them on. It just wasn't very clear.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='20903' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:32 PM']Yeah! I wish they had proper instructions on how to fit them on. It just wasn't very clear.[/quote]

Well the instructions were quite accurate but they didnt say it entails almost getting a full engraving of the washer in the tips of your thumbs!

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='20923' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:58 PM']Well the instructions were quite accurate but they didnt say it entails almost getting a full engraving of the washer in the tips of your thumbs![/quote]

I used pliers. I found them impossible to put on or take off by hand. But at least I know they're not going anywhere now. :)

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='20901' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:32 PM']Sorry, but I do have to say I have had a LOT of trouble with the Warwick strap locks on my old Corvette. If it wasn't the screw being quite short and resulting in the whole lock coming out of the bass, it would be the actual locking mechanism wouldn't be 100%. I might have just got a dud though.

I use Dunlop Straploks on all my basses after being very impressed with the recessed ones on my Thumb. I use the Dual Design on my others, which you can either uses strap locks or just a strap by itself. Insurance in case I should lose my strap and need to borrow another.[/quote]

I really don't trust the Warwick straplocks. Twice the catch failed, almost resulting in my corvette bouncing off the stage.
I have since replaced them with Dunlop ones, and am more than happy.
Pain in the nuts to put on though!
Andy