Why become a member? ×

Dry Bar near the barbican?

He gang.

My new band has its first gig at the Dry Bar in London on 3 July!

[url="http://www.myspace.com/drybarlondon"]http://www.myspace.com/drybarlondon[/url]

Anyone played there? It looks like a good place for a first-timer. Does anyone know what kind of backline they have there - our guitarist said that we don't need to bring amps as they have stuff there already. All it says on their site is "Our standard stage configuration features elevated drum riser for best viewpoint of the act on stage".

Anyone know owt about this place?

Cheers.

Funnily enough my band (Kismetik) played there two days ago, on Saturday night. Backline is pretty good. Fender head and large cab for bass, two guitar amps (one looks like an old Fender combo, the other a Line 6 modelling combo), drums good (but bring cymbals, snare etc). All in all, was pleasantly surprised.

Good venue for a small gig but not much passing trade near the Brbican so if you (or the other bands) don't have fans/family/friends it will be pretty quiet.

They also record yr performance, we got three copies of DVD for a tota of £30 which was a good price. Very helpful to go back and analyse where things could be better etc.

Enjoy!

Ill try and pop in as i live next to the Barbican.

Cant promise anything as i might have a gig myself but if i don't ill be there.

Not been to the Dry Bar before although i have walked past it a few times.

Clarky, did you use your UL115 that night? I was sitting in bored and would have poped down if i had known you were there (always good to support BC members).

Edited by dave_bass5

Hi there - no as UL115 is being delivered this week. I used the stock backline at the Dry Bar which, as discussed above, is actually not at all bad (I've played places where the soc-called "backline" bass amp comprised a 30W practice combo!)

For gig tonight at Hope & Anchor (see Gigs post) I am using my Tech 21 Landmark 300 head (as I am sharing it between four bands and its very versatile) and another band is supplying a 4x10 cab.

[quote name='Clarky' post='192809' date='May 6 2008, 11:59 AM']Hi there - no as UL115 is being delivered this week. I used the stock backline at the Dry Bar which, as discussed above, is actually not at all bad (I've played places where the soc-called "backline" bass amp comprised a 30W practice combo!)

For gig tonight at Hope & Anchor (see Gigs post) I am using my Tech 21 Landmark 300 head (as I am sharing it between four bands and its very versatile) and another band is supplying a 4x10 cab.[/quote]

Ah right, just seen your sig mentioning the UL115 on its way.

Last time (and only time) i shared backline at a gig i took my 1210R just in case i didnt like what they had.
Turned out they had a Fender Twin GUITAR combo for Bass. glad i took the 1210R (and so were the other three bands)
I wont name the Venue as its gone but it wasnt too far from the Hope and Anchor

Have a good one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='192776' date='May 6 2008, 11:12 AM']Ill try and pop in as i live next to the Barbican.

Cant promise anything as i might have a gig myself but if i don't ill be there.

Not been to the Dry Bar before although i have walked past it a few times.

Clarky, did you use your UL115 that night? I was sitting in bored and would have [b]poped[/b] down if i had known you were there (always good to support BC members).[/quote]

In the Popemobile?

Thanks for the offer! Not sure if we're going to fight for a crowd. our singer's a bit nervous so we want to play some little gigs without publicising too heavily, and then tell everyone about our 'proper' first gig when we're match-fit.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='192833' date='May 6 2008, 12:31 PM']In the Popemobile?

Thanks for the offer! Not sure if we're going to fight for a crowd. our singer's a bit nervous so we want to play some little gigs without publicising too heavily, and then tell everyone about our 'proper' first gig when we're match-fit.[/quote]

LOL, yeah, i noticed that after i posted but couldn't be bothered to change it.

Ok, ill tell the family we will go to pizza Express instead that night ;-)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='192896' date='May 6 2008, 01:29 PM']London Wall ??
Can't go wrong with a sloppy giuseppe whilst you watch the traffic thunder underneath you... :)[/quote]

Funny enough I was there Sunday night. we were the only customers the whole time we were in there.
Ive always wanted to go in but the GF likes more of an atmosphere so we normally use the Angel. I convinced her it would be busy :-(.

And yes, a SG is my pizza of choice. I live right near Waitrose so normally get it from there.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yeah it gets a bit quiet at the weekends doesn't it.
I spent the last 5 years working in the building above the Pizza Express on London Wall and they made a pretty penny out of late night orders from me : )
But then they demolished my local (the podium) so there's less encouragment to hang around after hours...

[quote name='coasterbass' post='192929' date='May 6 2008, 02:09 PM']Yeah it gets a bit quiet at the weekends doesn't it.
I spent the last 5 years working in the building above the Pizza Express on London Wall and they made a pretty penny out of late night orders from me : )
But then they demolished my local (the podium) so there's less encouragment to hang around after hours...[/quote]

I only ever went in the Podium once but i was amazed at the amount of very attractive women in there that night. I think it was an office do going on.
I often take a wonder around the Barbican, sometimes take my son out on his bike around there. Its taken me a while to figure out how to get in and out of that place. Nice and quiet at the weekends like you say.

wow, this is sooooooo off topic. Sorry cantdosleepy.

Yeah the podium was quite scenic on the right days (usually Friday). Stank though.

Apologies for taking this well off track, but at least we've deduced that there's 4+ people who know where Dry Bar actually is!!

New thread coming soon... "Random local boozers that basschat members have visited"