Why become a member? ×

Singapore Shops and Musicians Union

NowVertical

I have done a quick search of the forum to no avail. Got a last minute dep in Singapore (my first international dep) and wanted to know if anyone knew:

1. Where to shop in Singapore - Looking for cheap strings (DR Hi-Beams) and possibly a 4 string jazz.

2. Do you need MU membership to take a bass on as hand luggage on BA flights (I have heard conflicting stories)

Would appreciate any guidance.

Cheers

Jem

[quote name='NowVertical' post='193416' date='May 6 2008, 10:06 PM']I have done a quick search of the forum to no avail. Got a last minute dep in Singapore (my first international dep) and wanted to know if anyone knew:

1. Where to shop in Singapore - Looking for cheap strings (DR Hi-Beams) and possibly a 4 string jazz.

2. Do you need MU membership to take a bass on as hand luggage on BA flights (I have heard conflicting stories)

Would appreciate any guidance.

Cheers

Jem[/quote]
Sorry to report Jem that BA in my experience have not been helpful re instruments. (It's often DB for me though which I think makes it worse).
If you are an MU member there is the agreement you can refer to, but I have heard people having difficulty in getting airlines to act on it. My advice, get a flight case and insurance (also provided by the MU)

Onto Singapore:
Not really sure about instruments, you can find good deals on shopping for electricals though.
Make sure you take a trip and have a cocktail in the Raffles hotel, and walk along the river/harbour front restaurant area at night.
I would also recommend a rickshaw (bicycle ride) where you will be asked repeatedly what types of girls you would like to see. The food is awesome, the weather is very balmy (high humidity) it's extremely clean and the people in my experience were really friendly.
Most of all, enjoy
Jake