Why become a member? ×

Swapping a combo for head/cab

FJ1200

My GA140 combo is getting a bit too heavy and doing my back in, so I'm considering seperates. Similar rating - 140w - 200w range, but funding is an issue. I have a Bass POD XTL and can use that for sound shaping if needbe. I have no pre-concieved ideas as to combinations, having had the Ohm for ever. I like a good low bottom end (Ooohh, Matron!) and not a big fan of trebbly highs. Don't do slap (but going t try to learn). I use fingers/pick around 70%/30%. Currently have one 15" driver.

Advice and suggestions welcomed. Not 100% sure what I want, and it won't be for several months anyway.

Depends what sort of money you're talking about, but the 350W little Giant is reasonably priced but will probably need a 4 Ohm cab to go with it to get the power out of it. Peavey do a 15" 4 Ohm cab that is reasonably priced as well or check soundcontrol for Ashdown 15" cabs too. The Ashdown Superfly is a great price for 500W of power but requires aforementioned 4 Ohm cab to get the power (2 x 250 outputs)

Shameless plug here (sorry) I recently got the Superfly 15" cab (4 Ohm) and now have a spare Ashdown ABM mini 15" cab (8 Ohm) it has been gigged with my Superfly and a MAG300 amps but is in VGC. It comes with an Ashdown canvas cover as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Fraser

[url="http://eden-electronics.com/Nemesis/separates/indiv/nsp115.asp"]Nemesis NSP115[/url] 1x15 cab (32lbs)
plus a head of your choice. I use mine with a Hartke 3500 for rehearsals and smaller gigs, and it's great. And [i]very[/i] portable... carry the whole lot to/from the car in one trip.