Why become a member? ×

Compression and EQ in one rack please.

Dood

I'll take a look at the VF1 anyway, thanks so much. Yes, i suppose it is impractical to squeeze a transformer and socket onto the back of these smaller units. There would be less of a problem if the PSU had a cable coming out to a mains plug. I'd just feed the cable out without having to use some sort of extension plug. It looks like I can grab a suitable transformer, pop it in a box with an IEC socket fitted to it and mount it to the back of my rack tray that holds the EQ in place at the moment. A few pounds and just a little soldering too!

Not quite sure I get what you mean here... are you basically talking about rehousing the transformer and putting a kettle lead onto it to go to the power socket? Or have I got that backwards?

Slightly off topic, but could you explain in a bit more detail how you racked your half rack devices?

Yes, sorry.. me thinking aloud! I'll buy/recover a 240vac-9vac transformer and plonkit in an ABS box with an IEC socket fitted to it So i can use my 'dans world' distribution that has 1 spare IEC lead. I'll plug that leads straight into the PSU.. jobs a goodun as they say, Robert's your Mum's brother, etc etc

As for racking the 1/2u kit.. there's a good few companies that sell (mainly for IT stuff) 1u shelf inserts. Mine has a whole array of different sized and shaped holes in that cater for many of the industry standard fixings. Thankfully my EQ box adheres to those standards, so it was just a case of screwing it on. Pedals and PSUs get mounted using large heavy cable ties (and said mounting holes) to ensure they dont move.

I have just found that the Line6 "PX2 9VAC Power Supply" is an 'inline' psu (as opposed to a wall wart) and maybe interested to see if one of thise will fall off the back of a lorry.. or at least something very similar. I only need 9Vac 800mA, so I don't think my search will be too long!!

Slaphappy - I haven't had the opportunity to try out any of the valve Drawmer compressors. I've got a solid state one in my rack (Drawmer DL241). I'm fairly new to compressors so I can't really compare but it sounds good to my ears. I think it's going to take me a good few weeks more to get it exactly how (and where) I want it though.

Dood - what pre are you using now, if you don't mind my asking? You could probably ditch it if you get a good channel strip, as SHG said.

I am using a Trace V-Type and yes, I have been investigating using a channel strip with all the gubbins on. It'd be interesting to compare as it may be a good enough reason to pop the Trace out of the rack. as a side-effect I'd be shrinking my rack down even further making it lighter than ever. always a bonus!

I had a bit of time to tinker last night, using a little mixing desk I have at home to test some theories. I have found a couple of signal paths that suit what I want to do.

I have also toyed with building an amp to spec, as I reckon I could get pretty much everything I personally want into a 1u rack!! - Thing is I'm a bit lazy and it may never actually leave the drawing board!

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to design the front panel.. but the CrazyKiwi Steve posted a question asking the very same question. The answers were, to say the least, very helpful!

Temporary work around in place.. works really well! I ripped a suitable (spare) wall wart apart. took the transformer out and mounted in safely into a new ABS box with an IEC socket fitted. All properly insulated and looks very smart I think. All mounted in the back of my system, The EQ has been running all night so, I thing I have cracked it. I have run up the compression on my TC.. and I'm breaking a rule of my own.. GOSH! I have put EQ before the compressor. That could well change!!!!