Why become a member? ×

Infinity basses

hatori

While cruising evilbay i came across a 'Fenderbird' lookalike made by Infinity. Thunderbird shape body with bolt on maple neck..cheap as chips. Anyone here know more about these ?
Apologies if this has been covered before, i had a look but could find no previous reference.

I'd be interested in their origin also. I recently acquired an Infinity Fretless 5-string bass and I have to say it's near perfect for me. The playability, resonance and articulation by far beat my 6-string fretless. It is built of dirt cheap parts, but because it plays and sounds so damn sweet I shall be modding the hell out of this.
I have no clue where they come from though. No serial number, no country of build...Nothing but the name "Infinity".

Somebody tried to sell me an Enigma 5-string (claiming it was an Ibanez) last year, via Gumtree. Seemed decently made to me, but I had no faith in the seller and left it. I couldn't find anything on the web about them. Possibly the same maker/marketer, given the name?

Edit 2015: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/246065-very-stripy/page__pid__2841261#entry2841261

Edited by alyctes

I appreciate that at that price parts would be cheap and cheerful but it would make a good basis for modding at that price. I cant find any link to its origin either, seller is German/European ?( Item location Bohmenkurch Germany)

Edited by hatori

That's what I'm doing man. I rarely mod basses these days because either they are already good or aren't good enough.
My Infinity 5-string fretless is to be modded, however. I think I'll keep it passive because it sounds good as is, though I have a spare pre-amp should I wish to give it a pre, but the pickups will be passive. Still may upgrade them but keep passive.
The bridge and tuners have gotta go. The bridge works, but it's the rickety cheap Fender style and the saddles on these tend to wander. The tuners stay in tune but they won't last, not smooth at all so the gears will chew up over time.

However, it resonates like no other. You can feel the note translate through even your own body it's that good and when plugged in the tone is full and articulate, every note comes over fine and also every note frets, no dodgy humps in the board.
Only issue was that the dots on the side aren't like normal unlined fretless. They SHOULD be on the fret itself but instead they are where they would be normally. This makes me assume they use the same fingerboards for fretted and fretless.
I remedied this with some masking tape and tip-ex, made me some lovely lines where the dots should be and left the other frets blank, although I did do the 1st fret as well cause I found it hard to find.

Last but not least, being unfinished (just a clear lacquer) I can re-finish it someday if I wish. :-)

Enclosed a pic.

Edited by Kongo

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I am bumping this thread because I too am interested if anyone knows anything about the origins of these 'Infinity' basses.

I got an Infinity 6 string fretless about a year and a half ago for somewhere around the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£130 mark and for the price I couldn't of asked for anything better. I was only seeking a cheap fretless 6 string to have a bit of a mess around on since I'm fairly new to the fretless game, I had to have the action adjusted and fret lines painted on but since that it has been a wonderful instrument.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I asked someone who is fairly knowledgeable about these things and he speculated that it might have been an independent luthier/shop who wanted to make a few cheap Warwick imitation basses, if this is true then they have done a fantastic job at it![/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]So if anyone does know anything about these basses, or if there is another owner or two of an Infinity out there then please step forward![/color][/font]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to kinda resurrect an old thread but an old friend of mine had an Infinity fretless 5 string bass in natural hanging on his wall. I was over his on monday and he just gave it to me. Being a 4 string fretted bassist, 5 string, unlined fretless scared the hell out of me but this bass is really easy to play. I might give the pick ups an upgrade to something like some EMG HZs or whatever then use it on some of the slow parts for my bands album.

Might have to be a cheat though and add side markers for the fret lines...

[quote name='RustInPeace90' timestamp='1450920811' post='2937113']
Sorry to kinda resurrect an old thread but an old friend of mine had an Infinity fretless 5 string bass in natural hanging on his wall. I was over his on monday and he just gave it to me. Being a 4 string fretted bassist, 5 string, unlined fretless scared the hell out of me but this bass is really easy to play. I might give the pick ups an upgrade to something like some EMG HZs or whatever then use it on some of the slow parts for my bands album.

[/quote]

All info gratefully received! Sounds like a score, too :)

[quote name='RustInPeace90' timestamp='1450920811' post='2937113']

[/quote]

Cmon now, you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen :)

Well, i've given it a week before I decided to report back on here so I could give it a fair trial. So far, I'm really enjoying playing it. It's helping to train my ear when I'm playing along to songs too and it's essentially teaching me a whole new way of playing. Really fun bass to play. The electronics are a bit weak so I'm definitely going to upgrade those at some point but that's last priority bass wise at the moment as I've got to get my other basses up to 100% how I want them.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1451521345' post='2941308']
Cmon now, you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen :)
[/quote]

Oh I suppose I better follow the rules ;) here we go! As a little treat, i've attached a sound clip too. Points for guessing the song :P Please excuse the poor playing! I'm really not used to this thing yet!

This is just a direct recording of the bass, solo'd on the bridge pick up, tone fully open. No post EQ or editing. Again, please excuse the sloppy playing. It's rather embarrassing but you'll get a feel for what these things sound like.

[attachment=208889:019-P bass w flats#02.mp3]

Edited by RustInPeace90

• 4 weeks later...

Cheap CAR Jazz-alike in Germany...
... ending tomorrow, so if you're really curious now is the time to think about it :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Saiter-Jazz-Bass-in-Metallic-rot-/221997547206?hash=item33b015bec6:g:JcoAAOSwqrtWm4Br"]http://www.ebay.co.u...coAAOSwqrtWm4Br[/url]

Edited by alyctes

• 4 months later...

Infinity fretless six-string in Sheffield. Quite pretty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infinity-6-string-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-good-working-order-blue-green-/152141452323?hash=item236c565423:g:nFMAAOSwGIRXbDQ4

• 4 weeks later...

This one is a four-string (seems unusual) and the seller claims it's German-made. Sussex; poor photos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infinity-4-String-Bass-Guitar-/122048651020?hash=item1c6aaa9f0c:g:K7IAAOSwqfNXjBmu

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...