Why become a member? ×

Am I being too picky

Stu-khag

Hello,
I've been after an acoustic for almost a year and found the one I wanted. A sigma 000 R-28V.
I tried one of the cheaper versions and loved it and then tried this specific model locally and loved it also. My wife very kindly surprised me with this model yesterday. She bought it from GAK as it was over 60 quid cheaper and being pregnant she didnt have to carry it home. I excitedly opened the box yesterday but there is something not right about it. It came pretty much perfectly in tune which I thought suggested it was recently looked at but everything else suggests its straight from the warehouse. It was pretty dusty. a couple of the strings have blemishes (quite nasty feel to them considering they're meant to be martin ones) and there are one or two rust blemishes on the frets. there's also a very slight imperfection the finish on one of its sides (you can feel it, barely noticeable without putting it under a light). It just doesnt play as well as the ones in the shop, it could probably do with a set up.
Would these things make you consider sending it back or should I just pay the difference on someone looking at it? Being a new guitar and over 350 quid, I want it correct but am I just being picky?

Edited by Stu-khag

The strings wouldn't bother me so much but the rust on the frets isn't acceptable, I'd have no problems sending it back.

[quote name='harleyheath' timestamp='1351161669' post='1848028']
No matter how much you pay for a new bass it should be that...new..
[/quote]

I wonder how many so called new basses are actually new, it seems fairly common for shops to sell what they've got hanging on the walls as new even though they've probably been played hundereds of times.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1351162306' post='1848040']
The strings wouldn't bother me so much but the rust on the frets isn't acceptable, I'd have no problems sending it back.

I wonder how many so called new basses are actually new, it seems fairly common for shops to sell what they've got hanging on the walls as new even though they've probably been played hundereds of times.
[/quote]

That is a very good point, everyone wants to play a bass before they buy so they go and thump away at the shop, I bet most "new" basses have had hours an hours of playing on them, good ones even more so as everyone comes to play but not to pay, I recon the only way to actually get a new bass is mail order, direct from manufactures or custom made! does make you think, sometimes a recent second hand might not be as "second hand" as a new one? lol

Edited by harleyheath