Why become a member? ×

Any love for EMGs?

JapanAxe

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352862902' post='1868598']
Ages ago a bcer drew me this to explain making a reversible adapter for running EMGs at 18v. Can't remember who for credit:

[/quote]

I've seen 'homemade' adaptors for sale on ebay too and indeed, they are the same as your diagram. A really easy way to boost to an 18v circuit - and as you say, reversible too!

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1352864762' post='1868599']
Are you sure? I was always under the impression that if you had batteries in series you got twice the voltage but they would last the same amount of time as one battery. To get twice the time you would wire them in parallel, but then you only get the voltage of one battery.
[/quote]

When two batteries run down to 6v each, you still have 12v so the pickup still works, unlike with a single battery where you post on basschat asking what could be wrong with your bass.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352926339' post='1869534']
When two batteries run down to 6v each, you still have 12v so the pickup still works, unlike with a single battery where you post on basschat asking what could be wrong with your bass.
[/quote]
I was imagining 2 different pick-ups, one that needs 9v and one that needs 18v. In which case the power consumption would have the same effect over the drainage of capacitance. I see now that this isn't the case in this scenario, with the pick-ups able to run at 9v. Thanks.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1352981625' post='1870034']
Worst PU eveeeeeeeeeeer!

EMG=annoying buzz and enhancing of the most annoying bass frequencies. To me a bass with EMGs is the same as NO.
[/quote]

Do you have any evidence to back up this rather strange claim?

I've not used any EMGs for a while, but I always liked them. Reminded me of the Alembic "tone" - you hear a lot of what your strings sound like, and less what your bass does to them. That can become a bit tedious, but its very good in a lot of situations where you are trying to hear yourself in a noisy environment. If you want vintage character...probably not the best choice? There are plenty of makers doing the vintage materials and design thing.

I'd like to hear some of the newer "retro" and X versions - I'd expect them to be fantastic. The PAx looks to be a great combination to me.

Not keen on their circuits. I have the old EHB expander in one bass currently, and its a crude sounding thing by current standards (but effective enough when it was designed..yonks ago). The two band eq seemed hissy and bland to me (compared to Aguilar or Sadowsky circuits).

Whenever I hear EMG active pups on a fretless it just sounds right. I installed EMG's on my old Fender P fretless after a near fruitless quest to find the right pup for the bass. I tried Barts first, then back to the original pups, then to Seymour Duncan, then to Kent Armstrong and ended up with EMG's. Very perky tone, but balanced. I really struggled to get the G string to sing until I installed the EMG's. Sounded great. I was quite surprised how well they worked on that bass.

I have never installed EMG's on a fretted bass. I think they sound good, but lack a bit of mid warmth for me.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1353065613' post='1871114']
Do you have any evidence to back up this rather strange claim?
[/quote]

Evidence? You know that sound is a subjective matter don't you?

I'll had 5 basses with EMG's they all sounded awful. What a garbage PU-brand. At least for bass.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1353100695' post='1871738']
It took you 5 basses to work this out!?
[/quote]

Actually yes. There are LOTS of factors behind a bad sounding bass. And there are several EMG models, never thought it was the whole brand that was flawed.

But I forgot...you were trying to be fun or smart there. Hi five.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1353102286' post='1871762']
Actually yes. There are LOTS of factors behind a bad sounding bass. And there are several EMG models, never thought it was the whole brand that was flawed.

But I forgot...you were trying to be fun or smart there. Hi five.
[/quote]
Fun I hope! I don't have an axe to grind for/against EMGs, I started the thread to get people's opinions on them, as I was a bit wary of buying an EMG-loaded bass 'blind'. On the one hand I'm not surprised to see that responses cover the whole possible range (yours being at one end of the range Inti!), on the other there has been a lot of useful comment, particularly about the operating voltage.

I was originally looking to replace my old Squier with a nicer Jazz, but having put back the original pickups and heard it through my TC/BF rig, I'm keeping it! At the moment I'm thinking EMGs are probably not for me, but if I happen to try an EMG-loaded bass that says 'take me I'm yours', who am I to argue!?

I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (Japan model) with set of EMG PJX pick up's and with having had EMG active pick up's before i knew that i wanted 18v but i also did not want to go down the route of trying to fit the two batterys into the cavity already there (which i dont think you can or if you can would be pretty crammed) so i decided to try an idea i thought of (its probably been done but it will have gone straight past me!) which was to fit the two batterys inside a box thats mounted to the side of my amp (as i first attempt i took the cheap option wiith everything) so that i could power the pick up's with 18v with out butchering the guitar to make them fit aswell as being much less hassle to change the batterys in the future, so instead of having the normal cable and jack to the guitar i have a DIN 8 pin socket on the guitar, matching DIN 8 pin plug on the cable (the cable i used is shielded with 3 twisted pairs) which goes into a box (metal) mounted to the side of my amp with a regular jack on it then into the amp, you will see in the pictures that the box looks pretty rough which it is as this was just a try out i did today also the control place is an old non fender part i was happy to drill. when i tried it on there was no hum or interference or any unwanted effects of having power and signal in one cable. Not likely to be a great idea to everyone but it works well for me and also means i dont have a slightly less valuable guitar on my hands! [attachment=124053:P1050362.JPG] [attachment=124052:P1050360.JPG] [attachment=124054:P1050363.JPG]

[quote name='RMacd1' timestamp='1353167110' post='1872330']
I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (Japan model) with set of EMG PJX pick up's and with having had EMG active pick up's before i knew that i wanted 18v but i also did not want to go down the route of trying to fit the two batterys into the cavity already there (which i dont think you can or if you can would be pretty crammed) so i decided to try an idea i thought of (its probably been done but it will have gone straight past me!) which was to fit the two batterys inside a box thats mounted to the side of my amp (as i first attempt i took the cheap option wiith everything) so that i could power the pick up's with 18v with out butchering the guitar to make them fit aswell as being much less hassle to change the batterys in the future, so instead of having the normal cable and jack to the guitar i have a DIN 8 pin socket on the guitar, matching DIN 8 pin plug on the cable (the cable i used is shielded with 3 twisted pairs) which goes into a box (metal) mounted to the side of my amp with a regular jack on it then into the amp, you will see in the pictures that the box looks pretty rough which it is as this was just a try out i did today also the control place is an old non fender part i was happy to drill. when i tried it on there was no hum or interference or any unwanted effects of having power and signal in one cable. Not likely to be a great idea to everyone but it works well for me and also means i dont have a slightly less valuable guitar on my hands! [attachment=124053:P1050362.JPG] [attachment=124052:P1050360.JPG] [attachment=124054:P1050363.JPG]
[/quote]
That's a cracking idea. I, personally, would have made the box a plastic one, so it would be lighter, and have it so that it clipped onto my strap. This would require a far shorter cable from guitar to box. That way you aren't tied down to one length of lead and it's not such a pain to replace if you break it. If you see what I mean.

[quote name='RMacd1' timestamp='1353167110' post='1872330']
I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (Japan model) with set of EMG PJX pick up's and with having had EMG active pick up's before i knew that i wanted 18v but i also did not want to go down the route of trying to fit the two batterys into the cavity already there (which i dont think you can or if you can would be pretty crammed) so i decided to try an idea i thought of (its probably been done but it will have gone straight past me!) which was to fit the two batterys inside a box thats mounted to the side of my amp (as i first attempt i took the cheap option wiith everything) so that i could power the pick up's with 18v with out butchering the guitar to make them fit aswell as being much less hassle to change the batterys in the future, so instead of having the normal cable and jack to the guitar i have a DIN 8 pin socket on the guitar, matching DIN 8 pin plug on the cable (the cable i used is shielded with 3 twisted pairs) which goes into a box (metal) mounted to the side of my amp with a regular jack on it then into the amp, you will see in the pictures that the box looks pretty rough which it is as this was just a try out i did today also the control place is an old non fender part i was happy to drill. when i tried it on there was no hum or interference or any unwanted effects of having power and signal in one cable. Not likely to be a great idea to everyone but it works well for me and also means i dont have a slightly less valuable guitar on my hands!
[/quote]

You can no longer use a regular jack. Personally, I would have butchered the bass instead. Just to keep my gear compatible with any jack out there.

Yeah its a good point but as I won't want to plug it in else where I am not so worried about that its more that i don't want to route the guitar body which is more important to me. That's a good idea too to have the box mounted on the strap the box could be pretty small then

I've had factory installed EMGs in loads of Warwick basses over the years (9v and sounded fine to me) and I've had EMGs retrofitted into various other basses and they sound as good as any other pup with the added advantage that you don't get loads of horrible extraneous noise/interference. In the Warwick basses I felt that they let the tone of the wood come through, particularly in the early Streamer basses with wenge necks and cherry bodies. However, I refer back to the point that they are nice and quiet with regard to noise (other manufacturers are available and work equally as well ;) ).

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1353193162' post='1872693']
Personally, I would have butchered the bass instead. Just to keep my gear compatible with any jack out there.
[/quote]

Me too. In fact that is exactly what I am doing at the moment. Well, to be accurate, that's exactly what the Bass Doc is doing [i]for[/i] me at the moment! :blush: A nice, neat rear-access two PP9 battery compartment so I can run my J-set at 18V and see what all the fuss is about.

I am not precious about guitars and have no intention of selling my Geddy anyway. :)

Edited by Conan

They sound good. But many pickups sound good to their players.

They're dead quiet. Not unique, but it can spoil you (and your sound man).

When it rains, you won't get shocked if you kiss a mic while holding the strings.

That last can be all-important, especially in a 220v country.