Why become a member? ×

Who has found their strings of choice?

sarah thomas

I was wondering how many of us have gone on to buy Innovation strings as a result of Daf's trial? I bought a set of Honeys after trying slaps, honeys and rockabillies. They sound great on my ply and now I'm thinking of a set for my German flat back but I'd really like to try the ultra blacks and the super silvers too. Who else has bought a set?

My favourite strings feel-wise are Innovation Silver Slaps but I currently have a set of Spirocore Solo (downtuned to orchestral) on my 3/4 flatback as these have a similar feel (not quite as easy on the hands) but more growl (I need a slightly more sustaining, steel-type sound in my band). If I was in a rootsier type band I definitely would have SIlver Slaps on my bass

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some Spirocore Weichs a week or two ago, partly because some of the most active posters on the DB forums on TalkBass are almost zealous in their support for these. I popped them on my Kolstein and I have to say I wasn't blown away. I think I prefer Kolstein Heritage steels on this particular bass (which has a slightly shorter scale length and down-sized body). For my 'full-on' 3/4 DB, both the downtuned Spiro Solos I mentioned above and Kolstein Heritage are a lovely mixture of playability and tone.

Update: I swapped the Spiro Weichs on to my 3/4 flat back and they are fantastic on that bass, lovely tension and growl. Just shows that generalising about strings based on one specific double bass is a potentially meaningless exercise, especially where different neck dimensions are involved.

Edited by Clarky

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a set of Honeys currently on my ply bass that I use for busking, and a set of Silver Slaps that I'm always thinking about putting back on but they were a little too low-tension for me. I think I will get a set of Super Silvers eventually and give those a try. I've been very pleased with the two Innovation sets I've got, especially given how inexpensive they are.

My 'main' bass is strung with spiros though, they just seem to suit it well.