Why become a member? ×

Putting a band together - anyone else finding it difficult lately?

Marvin

I'm in two originals bands at the moment, just starting out. One needs a drummer the other a singer. Despite asking around and posting ads on the usual sites to find band members, it seems to be a real struggle to find anyone. Not just anyone suitable, but anyone at all. Perhaps it's just where we live (North Devon).

A couple of months ago a mate (drummer) asked if I wanted to start up a covers band with him. We tried to find others but to no avail.

Is anyone else finding it difficult to find people? Have things really slowed down or something?

Note: I did get a reply to an internet ad I placed yesterday, but I don't think the respsodant read the ad. It clearly stated we were a blues based outfit. So he responded by saying he had no interest in playing blues :unsure: :blink:

:)

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1352045686' post='1858106']
GOOD drummers are definitely always hard to source - and most of them are playing in bands!!

Ironically my current band has two drummers, one on drums (duh), the other plays keys.
[/quote]

Ooo, that's greedy :)

It's a particular problem for the band that needs a drummer. Best description would be Prog Symphonic Metal (sort of). We tried one guy out but he didn't seem to understand that he needed to be quite disciplined regards keeping to a structure, also he wasn't up to it technically really. I said to the other guys that I didn't listen to him at all because he played something different every time and he seemed to play at odds with the rest of the band.

yes, it can be incredibly difficult to find suitable musicians for new bands particularly originals bands. I find online adverts can work but I've always found that you've got to wade through masses of shredding guitarists (unless that's what you're looking for of course!)

Very tricky if you're not in a big city or want to do something a bit different.

Feel your pain. It's really hard to find people round here. We're a gigging band and we do weddings, functions etc. We get well paid and we have a calendar full of really good gigs, we have pro standard PA lights and transport and we have a lot of fun. When our drummer was forced to leave in the summer we thought we'd find a replacement pretty quick. We put ads out on pretty much every muso site and after three weeks we'd had 5 responses. One guy didn't own a kit, another had only been playing 3 months and the remaining three were all unable to keep time and were just plain painful to listen to / play with. Eventually we paid a dep for a few gigs and we got really really lucky as he asked if he could join us full time despite him saying initially that he only wanted a couple of gigs to fill some gaps in his calendar.

Keep going. You never know where you'll find these people. Sometimes they're sold on personality before they are convinced by the concept of the project.

It seems to be word of mouth..I got recommended by my son's drum teacher to his mate who is looking for a bassist to join a three piece Mod Band. Very optimistic of him as I only played a grade piece in time with the teacher as part of my sons lesson. Thought it sounded cool and a bit different, thought I'd give it a go, chuck my grades, and get out of the bedroom, burn and die :-D

I've been looking for a decent singer for an originals band for 18 months, for the first band we found an inexperienced but keen singer who did one gig with us and then said "I've written one song, done a gig and that's something I can cross off my bucket list. Bye and thanks for the fun". We couldn't find another singer, and things just got stale and grumpy, so that band folded. I'm now in another originals band where we have some great songs, but no singer, and we are having exactly the same problems finding someone who can:

1. Sing.
2. Sing in tune.
3. Read an advert
4. Make rehearsals (personal record is having 4 potential singers who said they would turn up for an audition on a specified night - none turned up)
5. and so on . . ..

end of rant!

Edited by RalphDWilson

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1352057826' post='1858287']

1. Sing.
2. Sing in tune.
3. Read an advert
4. Make rehearsals (personal record is having 4 potential singers who said they would turn up for an audition on a specified night - none turned up)
5. and so on . . ..

end of rant!
[/quote]

Add to that 'learn the words'!!!
Our singer still has the words on a bit of paper which he gets out of his pocket and looks at in not so subtle manner! :-0

We have the singer , the drummer , and are doing our utmost to find a guitarist .
I agree that it is very difficult to put something new together , finding some one with a good level of skill that fits into what every one else can do is important , but I also think getting on at a personal level is equally important . I like to think of my fellow band mates as friends as well , good chemistry in a band is just as important as technical skill.

Back to the original post , it does seem more difficult to put something together , a lot of guitarist's I know are now doing the solo musician thing in small pubs / eateries as band gigs seem to be drying up .

Definitely seems to be hellish difficult putting together an originals band. There are quite a lot of singer song writers around this area, however, they don't seem to want to be in bands.

Covers bands are probably easier to find people for but even then....

North Devon is also very musically conservative and mainstream.

I would love to be in a band which celebrates the anguish of being middle aged.

Teenage angst has nothing on middle age misanthropy and shattered dreams.

At least with teenage angst you have the option of "a future"

With middle age, one has too look forward to increasing infirmity and morbidity.

Sort of a black metal, thrash/punk fusion.. :D

MMMMmmmm Where is my Darkthrone collection?

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1352067580' post='1858449']
I would love to be in a band which celebrates the anguish of being middle aged.

Teenage angst has nothing on middle age misanthropy and shattered dreams.

At least with teenage angst you have the option of "a future"

With middle age, one has too look forward to increasing infirmity and morbidity.

Sort of a black metal, thrash/punk fusion.. :D

MMMMmmmm Where is my Darkthrone collection?
[/quote]
I would [i]so [/i]be up for that!

I think it's more, at least in my experience, that people like the idea of being in a band but not the actual hard work. More so these days when venues are harder to fill the "glamour" some expect just isn't there. It's easier when you've gained reputation and material as the question of "will this go anywhere" is already answered at least by the dedication of your band.
Recently had to find a new vocalist for mine, which took me the effort of going home and making a call.
But back when we started, finding a drummer and guitarist was very difficult.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352071709' post='1858519']

Marvin, do you go to see lots of local bands? If you want to meet musos in your area, that is often a good start, as there are usually some in the audience. Of course you need to be outgoing and willing to both start conversations and steer them over to whether folks play anything, but if that isn't something you find especially easy, you can bet it is a lot more comfortable than auditioning random ad responses can be! And buying someone a pint is an infinitely better start that sitting examining them in a rehearsal
[/quote]

Networking is the way forward. I met my drummer through local jam sessions and we formed a band with his old sax/keys player from their old fiction band and a mutual guitar friend. Singer was a problem but we found someone through our extensive network after about 5 months.

Really think the best thing to do is be out there either listening to music or playing at jams or generally getting involved in the community. I did go through a couple of terrible bands ( psycho country anyone. .. Naturally that involved all other members having copius amounts of drugs ) first where people invited me to auditions though.

ive found it incredibly hard to get a band off the ground which ive been working on for over a year and its seriously begun to get me down, ive found i end up with the same group of people i know, but they are not always reliable and keeps the whole thing on a constant depressing cycle.

finding new fish for the pond often seems difficult or impossible.

i try and be as open as possible with people, the only thing i ask for is people to have their own transport and half decent gear, which i don't think is much to ask.

i find i end up getting people respond who don't have one of or either of the above, or are completely inappropriate. for example, i put adds up for a band based on feeder, biffy clyro etc.. i end up getting people who are wanting to play trivium and bullet for my valentine responding... i mean wtf?

ive just given up now, im mentally drained by it all and feel like im wasting my time and effort on it

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1352046032' post='1858111']
not really finding it difficult to find a band just finding near impossible to find a band whos not doing bloody rock covers... they are endless..!! a real bummer with living in rural ares is everyone plays rock.... there like bloody sheep
[/quote]

+1000

or as the joke has it, 'leisure centres'. :D

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352071709' post='1858519']
Marvin, do you go to see lots of local bands? If you want to meet musos in your area, that is often a good start, as there are usually some in the audience. Of course you need to be outgoing and willing to both start conversations and steer them over to whether folks play anything, but if that isn't something you find especially easy, you can bet it is a lot more comfortable than auditioning random ad responses can be! And buying someone a pint is an infinitely better start that sitting examining them in a rehearsal room.
[/quote]

I personally don't get along to many gigs, but the guys in the metal band do. Everyone they know or have asked is busy with other projects. The one drummer who would be ideal for the job is the guy from their old band. Unfortunately the likelihood of him working with us are...remote.

I know a fair few people/musos and put the feelers out but again everyone's busy.

I've talked to others and they're in the same position, missing bits of bands :)

Went to a few open mics recently, that wasn't very productive, like I've said, lots of singer songwriters who want to stay doing solo stuff.