Why become a member? ×

Schnozzalee

Sorry about that, my photobucket's not working for some reason :unsure: . The necks are great, I couldn't capture the carve in the photos but they're very different from those on the Fender '57 AVRI model, which, I unfortunately had to grapple with for some reason. I like any neck where I can manage an open G7 chord stretch with ease and then love them if their unfinished and gun oiled :gas: . Best necks I've tried other than those above are ESP's narrow but deep U and Charvel's classic wide C/D - fast, if needed, but with plenty of mass to them!!

Edited by Schnozzalee

Looks ace! I just can't get on with the headstock :) I tried a Tyler which I thought was horrid, but a Tom Anderson I tried was like playing Marilyn Monroe's silk stockings :D The like the one with the white plate best for looks. Cracking finds mate, salute!

I have a 2009 USA Fender Deluxe V-Neck Strat which I love. I want to put a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck position though.

Thanks Sliddx! I bought the 50s 2 tone & maple first n just thought aww maaayn, now I need a 60s 3 tone & rosewood - blew my music budget straight out the window. The Deluxe is what I should have originally bought over the AVRI, I need every bit of help to sound even remotely like Stephen Stills :P . I had a mate who ditched a Les Paul for the Fernandes Ravelle, can still remember that pickup through his Marshall stack B). There's definitely summit about V necks that keeps making you want to pick it up.

I love the Tyler headstock!! The more bizarre the better :lol: ! I just didn't like the modern, chambered tone n kinda felt out of love with bridge humbuckers over unison bends lol. I can get close to a tele on G&Ls because of the big ole metal bridge, but with these, I tend to roll off the treble and it's inbetween a Rickenbacker and SG Special for crunch - made me start listening to The Who again :happy: .

Btw do you use 9 or 10 gauge strings on your stratocaster??

Edited by Schnozzalee

I like it! I still hanker after the fullerton red G&L Legacy I sold to you. I had owned that guitar from new,imported directly from the States. I was fond of the neck on that guitar.it was different from anything else I had at that time,G&L's included - it was a big old handful....sounds fairly similiar in profile to this one? Man I miss my G&L's - at one time I had the red Legacy, a black Asat Special and a blueburst Invader XL Std. great guitars......

This chap's trying to sell ours here: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-L-Strat-USA-Legacy-Guitar-Vintage-Red-finish-/121011814489?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2cddc059"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2cddc059[/url]

I've checked with him and it's the same one, I part exchanged it with a nice ole welshy for his 70's Yamaha SG2000 who then moved it on to this fella above - I don't know what he's done to to bring the condition down but it was immaculate when it came from you and left me. Was a lovely guitar indeed and the reason I bought the above!! Neck was a bigger handful of Chunky C than the Fullertons, I can get a tad more speed on the V's higher up but the arpeggios are just as wicked - wide string spacing and a nice flat radius :D . I still hanker for an Invader/Rampage, they're next on the list if I can't find another of these - I'm looking for Fullerton Red too!! :gas: . I've had 5 G&Ls so far and no bad eggs! *touches wood*

What did you think of the MFD pickups on the Asat? I haven't had a chance to try them out yet :(

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1352665902' post='1865919']
I like it! I still hanker after the fullerton red G&L Legacy I sold to you. I had owned that guitar from new,imported directly from the States. I was fond of the neck on that guitar.it was different from anything else I had at that time,G&L's included - it was a big old handful....sounds fairly similiar in profile to this one? Man I miss my G&L's - at one time I had the red Legacy, a black Asat Special and a blueburst Invader XL Std. great guitars......
[/quote]

Hi dub junkie

I still have that black G&L Asat Special you kindly sold me a few years back and still love it to bits - many people down here in Nottingham are v impressed with it and reckon it's the best Tele in these parts. I hope you still have some nice guitars to play; cos your taste in guitars is clearly v good indeed.

BTW - not only do G&L make great guitars, but they're basses are to die for as well.
I have an '89 Leo Fender signature G&L Asat Bass and that is a peach too.

Coming back to guitar necks, I picked up an MIJ Fender '54 Strat from early '90s and that has one of the nicest necks I know of; it's a chunky V slowly softening to somewhere between and D and a C. It has sweet alnico USA vintage pups on it too that drive a valve amp beautifully with a bit of clean boost.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1352677500' post='1866114']
What did you think of the MFD pickups on the Asat? I haven't had a chance to try them out yet :(
[/quote]

Excuse me chipping in on this - I now have DubJunkie's black Asat Special with the MFDs (ref post above) and those pups are one of the big reasons why many around here think this is the best Tele in town. I like those MFDs because they are just the right amount fuller in sound than conventional Tele pups and they can drive an amp to hell and back; but then roll back on the volume and they clean up exceptionally well. They give an incredibly clear and transparent tone, that makes the guitar almost sound like a high-end acoustic. The guitar still retains that Tele twang if you want it too. Great piece of kit and great pups.