• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Fender Basses
    Other vintage gear
    The Stone Roses
    Elvis Presley (1954-56)

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

First impressions: I like it, from a buyers, and sellers perspective, it certainly allows a clearer description of the item, with at-a-glance pic and price, but I do feel as a result, its a bit clinical, and as has been mentioned, takes away some of the 'chat' part of these ads, which many of us enjoy.

Clearly alot of hard work has gone into it, which I'm grateful for, and this should be acknowledged (the work that is, not my gratitude!). Time will tell how it works in reality, but I'm also concerned that its a bit gumtree, where there's no connection to the seller/buyer at all (The questions box helps a bit) You can form relationships with people on here (Albeit not a 'real' one), simply by exchanging comments/opinions on one item listed, as the thread expands, which can eveolve into all sorts of knowledge sharing etc. This to me, is the appeal of forums like this, and I worry some of that may be lost, but we'll see, I hope everyone beds into it, and it works for the better.
GEAR

Basses -Fender Originals
1953 Fender Precision, Original, Blonde, Blackguard, scarce original gigbag, strap, cord and tag. Near mint
1955 Fender Precision, Original 2TSB, Koylon tweed case, strap, cord, manual. Near mint
1956 Fender Precision, Original blonde, white guard, tweed case, covers. Nice.
1966 Fender 'Slab' Precision, Original white, slab body, maple-cap neck. 100% stock. Original tolex case.
1961 Fender Jazz, Original 3TSB, stack-knob, mutes, covers, case, strap, lead, catalog, manual, cloth, spare strings
1961 Fender Jazz, Original Custom Colour Olympic White, stack knob, mutes, covers, case, price-tag, strap, lead, manual
1961 Fender Jazz, Original 3TSB, earliest 3-knob, all original, mutes, covers, manual, brown case

Basses-Reissues & significant others
1952 Fender Precision Relic, Blonde, loads of original parts. Amazing instrument.
1960 Bravewood Precision, original tort pickguard, bridge, tuners, covers, looks real deal.
1966 Slab Precision Bass, Project, For sale soon....

1982 Fender Jazz, JV 1st series export, 3-Tone sunburst, JV005**, April '82. Original tag and gold gigbag.
1982 Fender Precision, JV, 1st series export, 3-Tone sunburst, JV03***. Original tag.
2000 Takamine Electro-Acoustic, Natural.
1981 Rickenbacker 4005, fireglo, stunning condition, original, with case, catalog and cloth
1988 Rickenbacker 4005, pollocked, just like Mani's from the Stone Roses (Build)

Backline
1952 Fender Tweed Bassman, TV model, rare beast indeed
1953 Fender Tweed Bassman, Wide panel model. Scarce.
1956 Fender Tweed Bassman, 4x10, wide panel
1963 Fender Bassman, Blonde piggy-back
2011 Fender Tweed Bassman, TV Duo-Ten, valve hybrid reissue FOR SALE
1970 Acoustic Control Corporation rig. 220 head/402 cab (2x15)

Feedback

#32 LukeFRC

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

where is the "ask a question button/feature going to go?" - maybe if it opened on the chat/question page first before the details? keep the focus on the community and comunication rather than the commerce :)

'81 L1000

'91 Streamer
'85 Thumb

Mesa Walkabout

feedback

#33 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostLukeFRC, on 08 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

where is the "ask a question button/feature going to go?" - maybe if it opened on the chat/question page first before the details? keep the focus on the community and comunication rather than the commerce :)

It's already there - check the bit under the photos on the listing I posted.

As I say, this is the basic plugin and we can adapt it as we go, but first let's see how it goes. I think it's going to work really nicely.

I do agree with comments like Rick's post above - remember I use this place as a bassist too (I just happen to co own it) so your concerns are the same as mine. However I think people will still get by with the Q+A bit or by PMing the seller and forging a bond that way, It might mean some people start a thread on the forum talking about a type of bass they've spotted in the marketplace. What it will definitely mean, however, is that the people who run BC will have far more time to help in other areas and effectively stop them having to step in when comments are seen as derogatory or unhelpful, which they sometimes can be.

I'm sure it'll work very well and I think the drawbacks are far outweighed by the ease of use and the enhanced sellability it'll provide. Being able to see the latest 60 things listed at a glance is pretty cool.

ped

#34 Phil-osopher10

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

That looks class, well done lads!

#35 pete.young

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is it possible to somehow reduce the size of the individual listings?

60 items on a page is a great idea, but may become not so appealing if the page is 19 screens full of data
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

#36 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Only just seen this thread. Having looked through the ads that are already up on the classifieds section, there doesn't seem to be any obvious place that states where the seller is located. Although there are plenty that don't bother to fill out the location field underneath their avatars, it's quite useful and saves everyone having to ask. So maybe a prominent field for location might be handy.

I can see the benefits of the changes, but I do wonder if it will mark a change from the current 'forum with a place to sell gear' to a 'forum with a classifieds site running in tandem'. We'll see.

I'm slightly appalled that donations after a sale as well. I had imagined that most people bunged a few quid into the pot after a successful sale.

Edit: Oh, and it doesn't appear to offer any clues as to when the ad was posted either.

Edited by Musky, 18 November 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#37 paul j h

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Classic rock, Rugby league, politics and Judo/akido/ju-jitsu

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi, i just checked out the improvements, i think they look great, looking forward to seeing what it looks like in practice. I agree (but am as guilty as others) of the bumping on a couple of days basis, so hopefully this will cover it. Good work guys. Cheers Paul.
"Music can and will change human conciousness" - Edgar Froese

1973 Fender Precision vintage olympic white rosewood
strung with flats for sale.

#38 mybass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostKiwi, on 07 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Woohoo!

It's taken 9 months to get this far but finally we can announce some improvements to the classifieds section! The new layout will include the following features/benefits.
  • Easier and more convenient to use (more attractive, less clicks to see price and pics)
  • It won't be possible to list an ad without stating a price (this means less monitoring for mods)
  • Gallery view means more visibility for ads and hopefully will help sell stuff more quickly.
  • Streamlined search facility means its easier to get relevant results.
  • Easily mark items as sold
  • Filter results for category, for sale/sold/exchange/all items
  • 'Ask a seller' question function with automatic notification for seller
  • Easy image upload system
  • Mobile theme
  • Share listings on FB/Twitter/email etc.
Free access to the classifieds section for members will not be changing.

You can view the test forum here:
http://isaaclewis2.i...p?/classifieds/

This is a good example of how an advert will look on its own page:
http://isaaclewis2.i...-new-with-case/

We are planning on introducing the new format on November 14th. That's next Wednesday.

Using the new layout:
The process of listing an advert will be slightly different to posting a thread. Advertisers will need to complete fields and pull down menus rather than just post a topic. While this is more structured than before it will mean greater consistency in the information provided in each advert.

A small fee will be charged for using the gallery view feature. This is because we had to pay the developer to get the plug in installed and the forum isn't generating enough to pay for this, the development of drumchat and guitarchat as well as the usual maintenance upgrades and hosting. So whatever support you can offer by using this feature would be very much appreciated.

Transition from old to new:
Unfortunately the old format can't be incorporated into the new format so there will be a transitional period of 4 weeks after the new layout is introduced.

This is to help make the adjustment process as smooth as possible. The old classifieds layout will be closed and locked so those who have recently posted ads in the old format still get visibility OR enough time to repost under the new system. Once the transition period is over, the old classifieds will be archived but will still be visible.

Subject to review:
This is unchartered territory so we'll be reviewing how well the new layout is working and be making adjustments along the way. We've also been looking into whether we can retain a bumping facility. However the problem is that bumping isn’t part of the original classifieds plug-in and is likely to need custom coding. The question in our mind is...is it worth it? Especially since there will be up to 60 items visible per page.

We're waiting to hear back from the original developers of the classifieds plug-in on whether its technically feasible. But to be honest while some have found bumping useful, others have questioned it. Any thoughts or comments on the bumping feature?

At the moment I cannot get into any 'Topics' unless I just view "View New Topics".

#39 BigBeatNut

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostLukeFRC, on 08 November 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

a little "official" rather than the "mates in a pub type" set up currently.

Yeah, I see this as a downside, unfortunately. I think I will miss the banter, particularly the 'I've got one of those'/'I've always gassed for one of those'/'have a bump on me' variety.

Unless people start using the 'questions' for that kind of chat of course :)

#40 BigBeatNut

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on 07 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hmmmm ... my first impression is: Solution in search of a problem.

I rather like the way the current forum allows completely free-form description (which often tells you a lot about the vendor) and actively encourages "conversation" between vendor and prospective buyers. I suspect this new approach will stifle both of these.

+1

#41 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Postmybass, on 18 November 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

At the moment I cannot get into any 'Topics' unless I just view "View New Topics".
Cheers for that, it maybe something left over from our being hacked the other day.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#42 mybass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostKiwi, on 19 November 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Cheers for that, it maybe something left over from our being hacked the other day.

Sorted now Kiwi, thanks....

#43 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostBigBeatNut, on 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

Yeah, I see this as a downside, unfortunately. I think I will miss the banter, particularly the 'I've got one of those'/'I've always gassed for one of those'/'have a bump on me' variety.

Unless people start using the 'questions' for that kind of chat of course :)

While I felt the same initially, my hope is that this enthusiasm will simply carry over into discussion on the rest of the forum. Like that Chorus pedal for sale? talk about it in the Effects forum. Always wanted that Ritter bass for sale, talk about that in the Bass section... etc :)

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Lakland | Fender | Markbass | Barefaced

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#44 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just a bit of an update - the uploading system needs adjusting, so until that's fixed we can't open the classifieds section to 'premium' adverts with thumbnail views (as in demo version in 1st post) or allow images to be uploaded within the advert itself.

You can currently list items without a thumbnail and use IMG tags in the description, which I know isn't ideal, but I was hoping for a fax today which doesn't look like it's happening now.

Sorry about the interruption, we had no idea it would cause such a lot of smaller knock on effects but once it's all finished I'll update you all so you can list away using the full features as intended.

Cheers
ped

#45 andydye

legend in his own lunchtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Interests:Church
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've just plopped my stuff into the new classifieds section and marked my 'for sale' threads as 'listed in new classifieds section', very simple to use, liking it so far!

One question, if an item is for sale but I'd happily accept trades that's not a possible choice as it can be 'for sale' or 'for swapsies'...is this something that can be changed in the future?
My feedback

The Band - The Fargo Railroad Co.
Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

...fun fact...I've never owned a headless bass

#46 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

I've just plopped my stuff into the new classifieds section and marked my 'for sale' threads as 'listed in new classifieds section', very simple to use, liking it so far!

One question, if an item is for sale but I'd happily accept trades that's not a possible choice as it can be 'for sale' or 'for swapsies'...is this something that can be changed in the future?

Hi mate thanks for the comments. I'm sure that's possible, yes - alternatively you could post the same advert in both sections, perhaps for the time being.

Cheers

#47 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

View Postped, on 19 November 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Hi mate thanks for the comments. I'm sure that's possible, yes - alternatively you could post the same advert in both sections, perhaps for the time being.
Cheers

It'd be a useful addition matey, I didn't want to list it all twice cos I didn't want to flood the new classifieds with 'me'...there's not much on there yet but it's growing by the minute, come on folks...embrace the change and let's run with it!
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#48 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

It'd be a useful addition matey, I didn't want to list it all twice cos I didn't want to flood the new classifieds with 'me'...there's not much on there yet but it's growing by the minute, come on folks...embrace the change and let's run with it!

The image upload system is borked so I think the section is rather quiet at the moment. As soon as it's 100% ready we'll close the old section and it'll become a lively and colorful affair :)

#49 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postped, on 19 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

The image upload system is borked so I think the section is rather quiet at the moment. As soon as it's 100% ready we'll close the old section and it'll become a lively and colorful affair :)

Adding links to pics on flickr works fine in the new classifieds and you can still use any images you've previously uplodaded onto bc ;) I had no trouble listing my couple of bits
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#50 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Adding links to pics on flickr works fine in the new classifieds and you can still use any images you've previously uplodaded onto bc ;) I had no trouble listing my couple of bits

Yeah, still, our hope is that people will take advantage of the gallery view option when the upload system is ready. We'll see how it goes - if nobody uses it then we'll have to re-think how the forum is financed.

#51 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postped, on 19 November 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Yeah, still, our hope is that people will take advantage of the gallery view option when the upload system is ready. We'll see how it goes - if nobody uses it then we'll have to re-think how the forum is financed.

Gallery view...that'd be the bit that's not working then cos I didn't see that option in there?
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#52 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Gallery view...that'd be the bit that's not working then cos I didn't see that option in there?

That's right. I've disabled it for the time being. It'll cost £1.75 and your advert will have a picture rather than a grey box in the forum index. It'll help people see what's for sale and help people shift their items!

There were some preview links in post #1 but now the test site has closed so they don't work.

Cheers

#53 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postped, on 19 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

That's right. I've disabled it for the time being. It'll cost £1.75 and your advert will have a picture rather than a grey box in the forum index. It'll help people see what's for sale and help people shift their items!

There were some preview links in post #1 but now the test site has closed so they don't work.

Cheers

very reasonably priced, hopefully it's something I can switch add to the items as part of an edit (when you get it up and runnin)
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#54 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

There's also no option to delete/withdraw a listing once it's posted :huh:

There's a chance this might make for misleading stats in the future when you say how many items have sold compared to how many donations have been received :P
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#55 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

There's also no option to delete/withdraw a listing once it's posted :huh:

There's a chance this might make for misleading stats in the future when you say how many items have sold compared to how many donations have been received :P

You can mark it as 'sold', perhaps a 'delete' button might also be a good plan. You can filter out sold items using the option on the menu.

#56 pete.young

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

A delete button would be a great loss. It's very handy to be able to view old For Sale threads in the current forum when you're trying to price an item (for sale or purchase).

I'm also guessing that the picture on the forum listings isn't showing up because the picture upload facility doesn't work. An option to make it all smaller would be an improvement: currently on my laptop I can see about 10 listings on the old forum, but only 3 or 4 on the new one.
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

#57 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

View Postpete.young, on 19 November 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

A delete button would be a great loss. It's very handy to be able to view old For Sale threads in the current forum when you're trying to price an item (for sale or purchase).

I'm also guessing that the picture on the forum listings isn't showing up because the picture upload facility doesn't work. An option to make it all smaller would be an improvement: currently on my laptop I can see about 10 listings on the old forum, but only 3 or 4 on the new one.

3 or 4? I can see 8 on mine. I don't think we can make it any smaller; I feel the image preview size is about right at the moment anyway. Perhaps you could try a new browser or play with some settings. It's very hard making a site work visually with the massive plethora of hardware available, but most of the modern updates are optimised for modern hardware so as such we're left little choice.

#58 andydye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
    Family
    Music
    Bass
    Photography
    Other stuff

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Maybe a withdrawn button rather than a delete one? Mods periodically delete completed threads anyway doncha :-)
My feedback

Facebook
Bandcamp

My photos - flickr

#59 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Postandydye, on 19 November 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Maybe a withdrawn button rather than a delete one? Mods periodically delete completed threads anyway doncha :-)

Lol. OK we'll check it out.

#60 JimBobTTD

Beardy weirdy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Being fantastic

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to see the classifieds on the mobile version of the site.
Basses: Warmoth/Firecreek P5, Warmoth fretless Jazz V; Ibanez SR1205 (1995) & SR1206 (1996). Also an old Ibanez PJ copy (1977) that is seldom played.
Amp: Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 500 > dbx compressor in loop > Gallien-Krueger 210SBX-II & 115SBX cabs
FX: Line6 G30 wireless > Bear Foot Blue Berry BOD > Korg Pitchblack tuner > MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe > Darkglass Vintage Deluxe > MXR Bass Preamp. MXR Bass Octave Deluxe that is seldom used. Boss Synth that is almost never used.

For Sale: nothing at the moment....Wanted: Ibanez SR1205FL

Feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users