Why become a member? ×

Limelight Guitars??

LemonCello

I posted about these mid "relic thread" a couple of weeks back. The very nice chap from Classic and Cool rates them and they do look very tasty eh. I havn't been able to find anything else about them on the web tho'.
B)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1352494811' post='1863950']
I posted about these mid "relic thread" a couple of weeks back. The very nice chap from Classic and Cool rates them and they do look very tasty eh. I havn't been able to find anything else about them on the web tho'.
B)
[/quote]
Yeah, I must have seen your post because I checked out that link a couple of weeks ago. It does look good but I did think that having a finish that had sunk into the grain on a new guitar didn't bode that well for the future. I could be wrong but I do wonder what it's going to look like after a bit of use?

I don't know, perhaps it's possible to make a reliced guitar like that in such a way that it doesn't go from 'heavy relic' to 'knackered looking dog' within a year? I know not sealing a body before finishing will give it the look of an instrument that has far more years on it, but that finish doesn't look to be awfully durable.

These are the brainchild of Mark Morgan Richards (I call him MMR) who owns the site. I've dealt with him a few times (my current jazz for sale here came from him) and he is very particular about what he buys & sells.
I've never had a bad instrument from him and his limelight's seem to be very well done. I dislike anything with marks on so they're not for me.

hth

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1352538466' post='1864294']
These are the brainchild of Mark Morgan Richards (I call him MMR) who owns the site. I've dealt with him a few times (my current jazz for sale here came from him) and he is very particular about what he buys & sells.
I've never had a bad instrument from him and his limelight's seem to be very well done. I dislike anything with marks on so they're not for me.

hth
[/quote]

+1 I queried something he had for sale recently and he came off as a good guy.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1360055280' post='1963981']
The relicing doesn't seem very authentic. Smooth wear only happens in very limited places. The rest of it should be chipped. There's smooth wear in all sorts of places where the body wouldn't be rubbed with regular playing.
[/quote]

I agree, and this is a problem with many/most heavy relic jobs from most of the manufacturers, look at Nash, Bravewood, even Fender custom shop - all the heavy relics look like someone's attacked the bass with an orbital sander (which of course they probably have). Maybe everyone else gigs with sandpaper dangling from their armpit, but I've never had the forearm contour wear through on any instrument, let alone the edges of the entire body?!

IMO the lightly relic'd versions look way more authentic, and would become more-so after a few years regular gigging.

I have bought a number of basses from MMR (as we are calling him) and he is an excellent bloke to deal with. I have been to his home to pick up a bass and he is a thoroughly decent guy and only too happy to invite you round and show his collection of instruments. Classic and Cool is a very firm favourite on my browser.

He currently has a lovely '73 sunburst fretless which is not on his site.

I have suggested to him that he advertises via the affiliate page here as he has some wonderful instruments - currently a Zon bass which is so lovely even a dyed in the wool P-bass man like me wants it!!

If he is selling something I would have no hesitation in recommending him. I'm just glad Limelight haven't done a late 60's sunburst P-bass with a rosewood board.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1360249874' post='1967382']
I have bought a number of basses from MMR (as we are calling him) and he is an excellent bloke to deal with. I have been to his home to pick up a bass and he is a thoroughly decent guy and only too happy to invite you round and show his collection of instruments. Classic and Cool is a very firm favourite on my browser.

He currently has a lovely '73 sunburst fretless which is not on his site.

I have suggested to him that he advertises via the affiliate page here as he has some wonderful instruments - currently a Zon bass which is so lovely even a dyed in the wool P-bass man like me wants it!!

If he is selling something I would have no hesitation in recommending him. I'm just glad Limelight haven't done a late 60's sunburst P-bass with a rosewood board.
[/quote]

That Zon used to be mine! I sold it to Mark. I've traded with him many times, never had a problem.
I like the look of his Limelight basses, and nearly went for one in a trade but eventually decided against as I would have been getting one on blind faith alone, which was too risky even for me.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1360260911' post='1967706']
You're quite right, I was just saying that the man was a very good guy to deal with and had a credibility and integrity that was reassuring.
[/quote]

Granted, and actually that's quite valid. If you'd said he was a liar and cheat his basses would likely be rubbish.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1360092933' post='1964779']
I'm also extremely interested. Been wanting something like [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/limelight002pbass.htm"]this[/url] for a while now.
[/quote]

I bought exactly this bass from him last weekend & have been using it live since (5 gigs in all). a) absolutely wonderful bass, faultless! Set up perfectly as well, no alteration of string height or tuning required at all (this is the first bass I've EVER bought that hasn't needed something doing!). B) Lovely bloke, came up to meet me as I was on my way down to Cornwall. I did buy on blind faith, but have done so many times before (eBay etc) & either been lucky or there are more genuine people out there than you'd think!

I'm going to keep looking at his website & see what comes up Limelight-wise. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Well done Buddy, I think it's looks great and very nearly bought it myself.
It was him that actually talked me out of it when I explained I preferred a Jazz Neck. I was going to take a risk on it but he thought it wouldn't be suitable for me.
Can't say fairer than that about the guy and he did seem like a thoroughly nice chap every time I spoke to him.
Enjoy it !!
B)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1360055280' post='1963981']
The relicing doesn't seem very authentic. Smooth wear only happens in very limited places. The rest of it should be chipped. There's smooth wear in all sorts of places where the body wouldn't be rubbed with regular playing.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree, it doesn't look right to me. All that rust and sh*t too, why? It doesn't look used, it looks abused, uncared for, previous owner was a disrespectful tosser etc.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365153285' post='2035917']
Yes, I agree, it doesn't look right to me. All that rust and sh*t too, why? It doesn't look used, it looks abused, uncared for, previous owner was a disrespectful tosser etc.
[/quote]
I find that the most curious thing about some relic'd guitars and basses. A mate of mine had an early 60s Stratocaster in the 80s which had been a real workhorse and had numerous dings, buckle rash and chips out of it but it wasn't dirty, it wasn't rusty and the bridge wasn't full of gunge and grime. I've seen loads of groups since the 70s but can't remember many (if any) having filthy dirty guitars and basses covered in gloop and gunge.
I fully understand the relic'd thing but just don't get the heavy relic, rusty, dirty idea at all.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1365245119' post='2037116']
I find that the most curious thing about some relic'd guitars and basses. A mate of mine had an early 60s Stratocaster in the 80s which had been a real workhorse and had numerous dings, buckle rash and chips out of it but it wasn't dirty, it wasn't rusty and the bridge wasn't full of gunge and grime. I've seen loads of groups since the 70s but can't remember many (if any) having filthy dirty guitars and basses covered in gloop and gunge.
I fully understand the relic'd thing but just don't get the heavy relic, rusty, dirty idea at all.
[/quote]

Maybe they should be called 'junked' not reliced. Or maybe 'f***ed', 'heavily f***ed' etc :)

Edited by xilddx