Why become a member? ×

Limelight Guitars??

LemonCello

• 4 months later...

I've been in touch with Mark over the last few days - firstly about a 55 style precision, and also regarding a jazz he's recently done.

What a helpful bloke, hoping to drop an order soon, really missing my custom shop 64 jazz I sold last year, but won't be having custom shop money any time soon.

• 5 months later...

I bought one a couple of months back.
I ordered mine special like as there wasn't one in the spec I wanted, 57 P bass, burst with a gold anodised pickguard and a maple Jazz neck.
Start to finish it was a treat to deal with Mark and the bass arrived a couple of weeks after placing the order.
It was just what I wanted, the bass plays a treat and sounds great. The relic'd thing is not for everyone but I like it and I'm chuffed to bits with the Bass.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365245456' post='2037119']

Maybe they should be called 'junked' not reliced. Or maybe 'f***ed', 'heavily f***ed' etc :)
[/quote]

Just because it's not to your taste doesn't mean you should belittle the man's work. He clearly takes great pride in this and obviously has a customer base for it, so maybe say that it's not for you in a less personal, disrespectful way?

I actually quite like it and can tell that a lot if love went into them, even if the aesthetic is not to everyone's taste (when is it?!)... The reviews of buyers seem nothing but great too. I might take a punt on a P!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1392492913' post='2369452']
I bought one a couple of months back.
I ordered mine special like as there wasn't one in the spec I wanted, 57 P bass, burst with a gold anodised pickguard and a maple Jazz neck.
Start to finish it was a treat to deal with Mark and the bass arrived a couple of weeks after placing the order.
It was just what I wanted, the bass plays a treat and sounds great. The relic'd thing is not for everyone but I like it and I'm chuffed to bits with the Bass.
B)
[/quote]

Thanks for the response, I don't suppose you've got a recording of it do you? I'd love to see how they compare to their fender counterparts...

Did a great trade with Mark a month or so ago and ended up with an amazing 89 Ray with the most birdseye i think I've ever seen on a bass neck. Mark is a really nice chap who really knows his stuff. He has some wonderful basses for sale and as previously mentioned he really chooses what he buys and sells, dealing only with quality instruments.

I was very impressed by the P-bass Limelight bass he had on the wall but didn't play it so cannot comment on the sound, but i have a feeling it would be great either way. Best thing of all it wasn't until the latter part of our trade that i realised he lives 45 mins away...double bonus (should i miraculously come into some money :rolleyes: )

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1365245119' post='2037116']
I find that the most curious thing about some relic'd guitars and basses. A mate of mine had an early 60s Stratocaster in the 80s which had been a real workhorse and had numerous dings, buckle rash and chips out of it but it wasn't dirty, it wasn't rusty and the bridge wasn't full of gunge and grime. I've seen loads of groups since the 70s but can't remember many (if any) having filthy dirty guitars and basses covered in gloop and gunge.
I fully understand the relic'd thing but just don't get the heavy relic, rusty, dirty idea at all.
[/quote]

I had a stingray for about years and managed to get it all gunky.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1360064492' post='1964155']
Maybe everyone else gigs with sandpaper dangling from their armpit, but I've never had the forearm contour wear through on any instrument, let alone the edges of the entire body?!
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397595915' post='2425592']
I have... a bit. :)

[/quote]

6v6, do you have any basses with a thin nitrocellulose finish? I never wore the finish away on any of my gloss urethane finishes but my Nate Mendel (which I've only had since January!) is already showing wear all over it!

Edited by skej21

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1411225661' post='2557691']
Mark is in process of building a P bass for me.
Yes, it will be reliced because I like 'em like that.
The spec is a little bit different - I'll post pics when I get it.
Happy Jack's to blame........................ ;)
[/quote]

Don't forget to put some pic's up on the "Show us your Limelight" thread.

Edited by karlfer