Why become a member? ×

1980's Hohner the jack active/passive headless Steinberger 4 string bass

zachdelapenha

hello im just wondering what value yous would put on an 80's hohner the jack 4 string headless bass, ive just bought a new set of rotosound strings for it, the only issue is apparently the active electronics need replacing, it still plays when plugged in though so i was thinking it may only need a battery, sounds awesome, one of the nobs is also missing but thats a cheap fix, i was quoted £30 to fix the lot, the body is in near perfect condition, theres one tiny scratch but the rest is perfect, so yeah basically i just wanted to know what i have here as i got it as inheritance and only new to playing bass, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi, I have the passive version in near mint condish, which I reckon is worth about £200. There's another on ebay at the moment(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLESS-HOHNER-THE-JACK-BASS-STEINBERGER-/110976020268?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19d6afaf2c) with a £200 starting price which seems to confirm this. I think the active ones in good nick are usually worth about £50-70 more(though I saw a spotless example go for £350 last year), so it may be worth your while sorting the electrics out and finding a replacement knob before selling. Hope that helps!

£200 in mint condition, I'm afraid. They're not the most fashionable bass at the moment.

Are you trying to sell yours? You say yours needs the active electronics replaced and a new knob... do you mean it needs a new potentiometer? Is the preamp faulty? Try it with a new battery and check that the active circuit is working. Take better photos and post them in the for sale forum.

[quote name='zachdelapenha' timestamp='1352809593' post='1867615']
i dont have a clue whats up with it, but yeah i have posted it in there already but im going to take some better pictures and repost it
[/quote]

It's easy to test with a new 9V battery.

[i]If [/i]I was in the market for another Hohner Jack (I'm not currently after one, but I had one around 20 years ago and liked it at the time), I'd be happy to buy one that I really liked the look of/sound of for around £180 - £220. I wouldn't offer you that (or anything) for your bass with the information we have so far. I can't tell anything about your bass's condition from your photo and all I can get from your post is that it may or may not be broken. And from hovering over the photo I can see that I'm the only person who has clicked on it. Not a great sign, to be frank.

Good quality photos, confirmation that the active electronics work and that the missing knob is only a cosmetic detail and you might get a bite. Even then, I'd be surprised if anyone would buy it unseen/unplayed.

Edited by dlloyd