Why become a member? ×

That Bugera/Behringer 300w All-Valve SVT clone - BVV3000 for £435...

ben604

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1439638755' post='2844574']
Now if they would just do a 100 watter for just a little less in a slightly smaller box, that would be very appealing indeed.
[/quote]
Aye indeed. The Little Bastard chassis would be fine for me :)

Mine arrived yesterday. Build quality and finish is amazing at this price. Perched it on top of my Bergantino HT112ER and EX cabs, connected and nervously switched on. Waited a couple of minutes and flicked the standby off. All I can say at this point is that this is a fantastic sounding amp with incredible depth which may be down to the valve power amp? I was concerned that it might be DOA but it is built like a tank and the valves are all okay at the moment. It's interesting to watch the infinium circuit LEDs flash intermittently as they continually monitor and adjust the valve bias.
My normal gigging rig is markbass LM3 and neo cabs but this heavy weight head plus ceramic speakered combination is making me fear for my back as it really is something else.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1440502911' post='2851286']
Mine arrived yesterday. Build quality and finish is amazing at this price. Perched it on top of my Bergantino HT112ER and EX cabs, connected and nervously switched on. Waited a couple of minutes and flicked the standby off. All I can say at this point is that this is a fantastic sounding amp with incredible depth which may be down to the valve power amp? I was concerned that it might be DOA but it is built like a tank and the valves are all okay at the moment. It's interesting to watch the infinium circuit LEDs flash intermittently as they continually monitor and adjust the valve bias.
My normal gigging rig is markbass LM3 and neo cabs but this heavy weight head plus ceramic speakered combination is making me fear for my back as it really is something else.
[/quote]

It looks great.
Where did you buy it and how much?
Cheers
Thebassman

Besides the weight I have previously steered away from all tube heads due to the cost and inconvenience of replacing the power tubes, i.e, matched pairs and possible involvement of an amp tech. The infinium system employed by bugera should reduce the frequency and cost of replacing tubes as long as it is reliable (which I think is the biggest unknown here).
One thing I have noticed from the bvv specs is that it is rated as 240w which leads me to believe that the bias is set cooler than in the 'real deal', which may also help increase tube longevity.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1440600925' post='2852305']
Besides the weight I have previously steered away from all tube heads due to the cost and inconvenience of replacing the power tubes, i.e, matched pairs and possible involvement of an amp tech. The infinium system employed by bugera should reduce the frequency and cost of replacing tubes as long as it is reliable (which I think is the biggest unknown here).
One thing I have noticed from the bvv specs is that it is rated as 240w which leads me to believe that the bias is set cooler than in the 'real' deal, which may also help increase tube longevity.
[/quote]

Are you pretty happy with the build quality?
The new Bugera stuff all looks very interesting, their class D heads in particular - for my own use, and its all VERY keenly priced.

Eude

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1440604426' post='2852344']
The cosmetic finish and positive action of the controls is excellent at this or any price. I haven't looked at the guts to gauge the internal build quality.
[/quote]

Brilliant, that's good to hear mate.

On my french speaking bass forum (Onlybass.com), we've been a lot to buy the BVT4500H from Behringer (at 55.55€ on musicstore, it was hard not to buy one)...

And guess what... most of us agree that it's a decent amplifier.

This thing weighs in at 75lbs! Same as an SVT CL and on the limit of what I can safely schlep.

Attempted to look inside last night but bottled it after removing all of the externally accessible chassis mounting screws and the front panel assembly remained firmly in place. I didn't want to risk not being able to reassemble it or electrocuting myself reaching around inside trying to release sub assemblies.

I don't want to go too far overboard yet as this amp will only really prove itself by being reliable but my Bergantino cabs sound the best that I can ever remember with a depth and fullness to the sound that is a revelation. Passive fender jazz and bartolini equipped Tom clement bass seemed to suit the flat EQ setting better than my active MM sterling.

I have only been able to try this at home so far so no where near gigging levels but it has an authority to its sound even at low volume.

For the princely sum of 498€ I think I have convinced myself that valve power amps are where it's at. Now I just need to employ a roadie!

Edited by Sparky Mark

For £370 I couldn't resist either. Mine was the last one WB had in stock it turns out. I can't imagine that behringer are making much of a profit on these. Time will tell whether this deal was too good to be true.

Edited by Sparky Mark

Right.You lot have got me properly upset now!
A couple of months ago I bought 2 BVT4500 heads for £100 each - each one to drive it's own cab as one of my cabs is 4ohms so I was hard pushed to find a single head for that money that would run them both - and they do sound pretty good to be fair. Bargain I thought! I was happy! Content! Gas free even!!!
Then this thread shows up and I find out I could have got one of these for just £150 more!?!
Well I hope you're all very proud of yourselves.... Now I've got to explain to my wife why I'm putting all the kids Christmas presents that we'd bought so far on eBay!!!

Anybody want to buy a dolls house and a scooter?

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1440672754' post='2852822']
This thing weighs in at 75lbs! Same as an SVT CL and on the limit of what I can safely schlep.
[/quote]

Blimey! That's about the same as the Ashdown ABM 500 Combo I had.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1440796981' post='2854026']

Blimey! That's about the same as the Ashdown ABM 500 Combo I had.
[/quote]
[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1440845858' post='2854273']

It's about the same as my head, two 1x12 cabs, and one bass.
[/quote]

My entire 800W rig weighs less than 26kg (57lb).

• 2 weeks later...

To support future use I purchased some new 6550B valves. In order to test the new valves I swapped them into the head and came across a minor problem. One of the original valves had a broken central key post on the base which was left in the valve socket when the valve was removed. I had some fun and games getting the broken off key post out of the socket and although the valve was working I was reluctant to use it in the future.

I know I should probably let Woodbrass.com deal with obtaining a replacement valve but I contacted Uli Behringer (via Talkbass) and asked if he could suggest a more direct route?

Uli replied almost immediately suggesting I contact the Music-Group care centre in Kidderminster who should be able to help. Once I had provided them with Uli's communication and my Woodbrass invoice they kindly registered my BVV3000i for the 3 year warranty and sent me a replacement 6550B within a couple of days.

I consider that excellent customer support from the top down from an organisation that seems to get a fair amount of stick on here and TB and infinitely better than some of the 'premium' brands I have dealt with over the years.

Oh, and the BVV3000i is still working fine and sounds fantastic!

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1441870162' post='2862396']
To support future use I purchased some new 6550B valves. In order to test the new valves I swapped them into the head and came across a minor problem. One of the original valves had a broken central key post on the base which was left in the valve socket when the valve was removed. I had some fun and games getting the broken off key post out of the socket and although the valve was working I was reluctant to use it in the future.

I know I should probably let Woodbrass.com deal with obtaining a replacement valve but I contacted Uli Behringer (via Talkbass) and asked if he could suggest a more direct route?

Uli replied almost immediately suggesting I contact the Music-Group care centre in Kidderminster who should be able to help. Once I had provided them with Uli's communication and my Woodbrass invoice they kindly registered my BVV3000i for the 3 year warranty and sent me a replacement 6550B within a couple of days.

I consider that excellent customer support from the top down from an organisation that seems to get a fair amount of stick on here and TB and infinitely better than some of the 'premium' brands I have dealt with over the years.

Oh, and the BVV3000i is still working fine and sounds fantastic!
[/quote]

That's great to hear mate. We don't often hear about how good customer support is, it's usually always bad news.
Glad the amp is really working for you too.

Eude

• 3 weeks later...

When I was swapping the output valves to test them I got to really dislike the sprung retainers. I did a bit of research and learnt that these can scratch the valve glass sometimes leading to premature failure. Ampeg has now reintroduced Birtcher style tube clamps to its Heritage SVT CL head and they are available as a retro-fit kit part number 2040884 which fit the BVV3000 perfectly too. So I bought them and fitted them without a problem.

I have also provided dimensions to Phil at Hotcovers who has made a lovely padded vinyl cover for £39.50 delivered.

Total cost so far = £369.53 for amp, plus £105.95 for spare set of six 6550 valves, plus £64 for valve clamps, plus £39.50 for cover = £578.98.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...