Why become a member? ×

What strings are you currently using?

jim_strings

Hi all,

Just a quick question to try and get a rough idea of what bass strings are most popular. I run a business selling strings and accessories. We currently only stock D'Addario, Elites and Ernie Ball bass. While these are popular with our customers what other brands are popular? Not being a bass player I would welcome any thoughts you had. I
appreciate this is a fairly vague question , just trying to get a general overview of what people are using.

Cheers!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1353324449' post='1873545']
I recently switched to the new Elixir Stainless .45-130. I used the Elixir nickel strings for about 6yrs before then. I have also used D'Addario Pro Steels and DR Hi-Beams. All very good strings.
[/quote]

Interesting! How would you compare the Elixir Stainless to D'Addario Prosteels when it comes to initial brightness?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1353329604' post='1873639']
Interesting! How would you compare the Elixir Stainless to D'Addario Prosteels when it comes to initial brightness?
[/quote]

I think the D'Addario Pro Steels are actually a tad bit brighter than the Elixir Stainless strings. I haven't used a set of Pro Steels for quite some time, so my memory might be a bit foggy. You naturally do get a little bit less of string squeak with the Elixirs because of the coating. That could possibly be the reason why they don't sound as hyperactive as the Pro Steels. Little things like that make a difference. The Elixirs are very good strings and do give you that 'hi-fi' tone if thats what floats your boat, but I prefer them to other stainless string brands because they seem to have a mellower mid-range response.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1353344398' post='1873976']
I think the D'Addario Pro Steels are actually a tad bit brighter than the Elixir Stainless strings. I haven't used a set of Pro Steels for quite some time, so my memory might be a bit foggy. You naturally do get a little bit less of string squeak with the Elixirs because of the coating. That could possibly be the reason why they don't sound as hyperactive as the Pro Steels. Little things like that make a difference. The Elixirs are very good strings and do give you that 'hi-fi' tone if thats what floats your boat, but I prefer them to other stainless string brands because they seem to have a mellower mid-range response.
[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed comparison! I might have to try some when I wear out my next set ;)

[quote name='jim_strings' timestamp='1353000132' post='1870374']
I run a business selling strings and accessories. We currently only stock D'Addario, Elites and Ernie Ball bass. While these are popular with our customers what other brands are popular?
[/quote]
I would think that they were popular with your customers if that's all you stock :P

Anyway...I use Elites Stadium Series .45-.130