Why become a member? ×

What strings are you currently using?

jim_strings

45,65,80,100 (+ a 130 or 125 if using a 5) nickels is my preferred gauge. I'm back using D'Addarios which is a hangover from my guitar playing days. I used to use Elites as I was given a big box of them and have used Ernie Balls too.

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone,

thanks for your feedback. We've now started to stock a few more brands on our website, including a special offer on SIT (valid from today until December 31st).

SIT Power Wound Electric Bass from £14
SIT Dave Ellefson Signature Series from £16
SIT Power Steel Stainless from £14

Just google us "strings etc" or click the link in my signature.

Thanks again for your input.

• 2 months later...

A few months ago I put nickel slinkies on my Squire P Bass. I didn't cut them too short and I got about 4 winds on the tuning pegs. Intonation was spot on , easy to tune each fret spot on and they sounded great. Lately I don't think I'm practising any more but my fingers are getting really sore. I've tried fast fret. Do these strings chew up your fingers the older they get... are they losing some coating or something? They still sound good but the older they get the more they hurt :unsure: Poor old pinkie :blush:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1353004006' post='1870431']
Rotosound Steel Roundwounds - heavy gauge. Many places stock regs, but not many have the heavies.
[/quote]

Have now switched allegiance to Rotosound Nickel Roundwounds, regular/medium gauge (which are the heaviest in the Nickels).

Current favourites are Fender CL9050s and TI FJ344s for flatwounds, and Ernie Ball Slinky nickel round wounds but I tend to by these as single strings to get my preferred gauges. I also quite like the D'Addario LX nickel round wounds (also bought as singles), although very tempted to try a set of the new D'Addario EXL170BTs to try.

Hope that adds to the research!

DRs. The high-beams i found very bright. The lo-riders are great but I was still missing some oomph at the Gstring. Now I'm rocking their DDT drop down tuning strings 135-50 5string set and it blows me away! Solid tone, best low B ever and all strings have the same sound characteristics, B through G.

I got some Roto Swing Bass for Christmas and have just tried them on my Geddy Lee jazz.

Absolutely disgusted at how quickly they have lost their initial "zing". I could almost hear it going within hours, and they have only been very lightly played over a period of about three weeks.

Bloody hopeless. Total waste of £17 :o :( :angry:

Have used all the expensive one's at one time or another. I change my strings pretty often so i've been using cheap brands like Rosetti & Legacy. Legacy are only £8 a set, ok they don't last quite as long but i like the twang of a new set. I was buying Rosetti's last year, £15 for 3 sets.

I've been using D'Addario EXL170-5's for years... 45/65/80/100/130 gauge nickels, and the SL super long scale version for my 35" scale through-strung basses. The best feeling, most consistent strings available, IMHO, although Ernie Ball Super Slinkys are pretty good too.

I used Rotosound Swing Bass when I first started playing many years ago, but gave up on them in the mid-80's when I got 3 sets in a row with a dead string. Another bass player I met on a gig not long ago told me he had the same experience with Rotosounds just recently - for such a big name brand, it's just not good enough in today's market with so much competition. Needless to say I've now converted him to D'Addarios! Paul Herman at Wal also fits D'Addario nickels on his new basses.

I'm using Rotosound Swing '66 Stainless Steel on two basses, D'Addario ProSteels and La Bella SS (formerly Hard Rockin' Steels) on the other two electrics. These three makes compare well. I would say the La Bella strings have the strongest low end response. They're not as trebly as the Rotosounds, but heavier for sure. The ProSteels are clear, heavy and simply excellent.

I've Rotosound Bronze Bass '44 on my fretless acoustic and GHS phosphor bronze on my fretted acoustic.

They're all great strings and I'd use these brands again.

Other brands I've enjoyed and are on my usual 'rotation' are Elites, Ernie Ball, Dunlop and Fender.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1362000829' post='1994394']
I have n't bought strings for about 4 years, need to maybe sort that out. :unsure:
[/quote]

I recall an interview with Robbie Shakespeare years ago where he said he felt his strings were just settling in when they'd been on for about 2 years... so yours should be fine! ;)