Why become a member? ×

Ultra Blacks trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Daf, I PM'd ubassman over a month ago as I was worried they'd got lost in the post, "apologies and I'll post them A.S.A.P." was the reply but still nothing :mellow:.
This free string trial is a fantastic idea given the price of strings and the variation in sound between strings and basses, it would be a crying shame to see it end because some folks can't be bothered to send them on when they're done with them.

Hi Maude,

Yep, got the same response myself a few days ago - he's got the trial prototype set too, so hopefully they're both in the post as we speak...

And thanks for the comments about the trial - yeh, I had hoped it would pretty much look after itself, but it has turned out to be a lot more work than I thought...!

To be fair, the vast majority of people have been brilliant - and taken the time to post their thoughts on the strings too, which is great for anyone thinking about the string and also really important feedback for the company! :)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1379330716' post='2211261']
No probs - just grateful to everyone who has been patiently waiting ( Maude in particular - I think I owe you a pint ...or come to think of it maybe a couple !)
[/quote]

You've got my address, just pop a pint in the post :D .

• 4 weeks later...

Right I'm done with these now, I think [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PURPOLARIS is next so I'll PM him.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]These are very nice strings for my style of music but the RABs have just won over them. Soundwise, to my ears, they are very similar to the RABs, a tad darker sounding maybe and a touch louder, there are subtle other differences but not, I feel, enough to make a difference when playing amplified using a piezo (also EQ can make both strings sound alike). I liked the higher tension but some of our songs have quite fast fingerings and it's quite a workout by the end of a set.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm comparing them to RABs because they are similar strings and I already have a set of RABs, if I already owned the UBs I'd probably favour them over the RABs.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But I'm happy to trade a tiny preference in sound for a bit more ease of playing and not have to shell out for another set of strings, if they were a lot more superior I'd do it but I don't feel they are.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please excuse the bad terminology but hopefully you get the picture.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Again, thanks to Daf and Innovation for giving us the chance to try out these strings for a couple of weeks free of charge, it really does help :).[/font][/color]

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1381686813' post='2242336']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Again, thanks to Daf and Innovation for giving us the chance to try out these strings for a couple of weeks free of charge, it really does help :).[/font][/color]
[/quote]

+1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Ultra Blacks are on their way to Steve, both PURPOLARIS and Burg passed on them. I really enjoyed their depth of tone and the tension was easy to get used to, really nice to play pizzicato, I particularly liked the way they sounded above D on the G string, full and loads of mwah. I only have Helicore Hybrids and Honeys to use as a comparisson, so I can't give a very meaningful and in depth review, but there is something about the Honeys that I prefer so far in my search for the perfect string, it's probably because I found the Ultras a little skiddy with the bow (most likley my lack of technique). But since I've restrung the Hybrids, my arco technique seems to have improved ! The other strange thing I've noticed is how loud the Hybrids sound now, still don't like their tone though.Thanks again for giving us the oportunity to try different strings.
All the best,
Johnny D

Hi Johnny and Steve,

thanks for the updates guys.. Johnny, thanks for the comments - yeh, arco is definitely not one of their strong points mainly due to the nylon wrap being inherently non-stick - just what you DON'T want!
I suspect that your arco has improved because the only way to deal with the Ultras is to use a slower bow, which will transfer really well to a more arco friendly string...

Cheers,
Daf