Why become a member? ×

Super Silvers trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Sorry, I only just saw your post gypsyjazzer. If you pm me your address, I'll get them in the post next week.

A small bit of feedback from me on my trial.

I initially moved from Rotosound RS4000's to Silver slaps about 8 years ago. During that time, they behaved impeccably and I only ever had to change one string (the D) when the winding came off due to the string sinking into the bridge and sticking. My only 'niggle' (minor as it was) was that for fast drags they were, occasionally, too low tension and seemed to not be in the rihght place at the right time.

Early this year, they were starting to sound a bit 'dull' so thought I'd try something different and went for some of the synthetic guts, having read many glowing reviews. Well, I gave up after a couple of weeks - even lower tension, no sustain and they just didn't suit my playing style (for what it is) at all. So.. back to Innovations and a known product. Unable to get Silver Slaps, I got Golden Slaps. They are supposed to be the same thing, other than colour, right? I've had the most ludicrous battle with string buzzes and rattles ever since, and, in an effort to get rid of it, I've had the fingerboard planed, a new nut, and various other jobs done, but to no avail. I've no idea why I should have suddenly have these problems, which didn't occur with the silver slaps, but I thought higher tension strings might cure it, so it was great to see trial sets being offered by Daf and Innovation and I thank them for this very unique, and very cost-saving, opportunity.

Anyhow.. the Super Silvers then. Firstly, they aren't really that much higher tension than the Slaps - not that my ham fisted approach can tell! Certainly, swapping them over one at a time and having mixed sets on during that process, there wasn't much discernable difference. It's all subjective, of course, but they do seem to have a sharper initial 'bite' into a note. As with the Silver Slaps, they are nicely matched across the set with regards to tone and volume per string. I can't say that they are much different, tonally, to the Silver Slaps - both sets show similar characteristics played either pizz or being slapped. I can't comment on arco as I don't possess a bow. As with the Silver Slaps, they have good sustain and maybe a slightly longer decay, which suits me fine. Despite saying there isn't much difference in tension between the Silver/Golden Slaps and the Super Silvers, there is certainly enough to eliminate almost all the rattles, clanks and buzzes I've been suffering from, so that is a massive win from my perspective. Second win is that the strings are certainly more responsive and fast drags are so much more controllable with the tauter strings (particularly the E)

Will definitely be ordering some as soon as payday arrives - unless Innovation need any longevity testing doing? Say, 8 years? :D

Again, thank you Daf and Innovation, and to Fellrunner for the prompt dispatch - much appreciated

Edited by invicta59

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Invicta,
Thanks so much for that, and sorry for the late reply...
As you say, there's not a lot of difference between the two sets, but enough! ;) a lot of people do mix them actually, especially if they want slightly heavier strings at the bottom which, as you say, can help with sound and articulation. Just don't try bowing them! Really not their strong suit :D

Cheers,
Daf.

P.S. Thanks to all for keeping things moving! :)

Hi Dave,

Well, I'd say it's well worth trying the ultrablacks... They're quite similar windings underneath, but the fact that they're flat tape wound instead of round wound should make them feel a bit heavier.

They also have a couple of advantages over the silvers in that:

1. They're much more bowable (still not that easy but they do have a nice baroque sound), and

2. They don't have the string noise when shifting position that some people can find annoying with the silvers...

Shall I put you on the list?! ;)
Daf

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Daf for the trial of the 'Super Silvers'. Wanting more of that 'Old School' sound I thought I would give them a try. Yes, I liked them-so much so I ordered 2 sets--one for my 3/4 19th century German bass and a set for my Eminence EUB--they suited me well on both instruments. Good volume & tone across the board--not to loose and not high tension--in my opinion a well matched set. Gets me closer to that 'Old School' sound.

• 4 months later...