Why become a member? ×

Super Silvers trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

Post a reply to register your interest in a trial set....

SUPER SILVERS
Based on the same idea as the silver/golden slaps, but with higher tension.

TheRev *
Jhowhdheyieh *
alistair Sutcliffe *
cattytown *
Steve *
Fellrunner *
Invicta59 *
gypsyjazzer *

Edited by daflewis

Hi Dave,
No problem - can you PM me your address and I'll get them sent asap.

As far as compared to the RABs... well, I've never actually A-B'd them on the same bass, but as you've pointed out before, they're basically the same string with different outer wraps - round wound nylon as opposed to flat, so a brighter sound as you'd expect, and to my mind, a slightly softer feel. Actually It'd be great if you could let me/us know your thoughts on that after you've tried them! :)

Cheers,
Daf

Cheers Daf!

I absoutley love the sound, feel and tension of the Rockabillys for my scrumpy'n'westen band, but sometimes i could do with a bit more detail on the G and D for my Jazzy trio. If the super Silvers don't do the job for both bands, then I'm just going to have to buy a second DB. :rolleyes:

I'll record some sound clips with the rockabillys vs the super silvers.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Okey doke, finally got round to sorting out a recording of these strings.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/magners-1/silvers/s-FU6Dx"]https://soundcloud.com/magners-1/silvers/s-FU6Dx[/url]

This is my 50s ply bass with a K&K Bassmax recorded straight into a Tascam DP004.

These are pretty nice strings. They feel a bit higher in tension than the Rockabillys and have a bit more complexity and a brighter tone than the Rockabillys. (I've also popped a recording of the Rockabillys on the Rockabilly thread). Although I liked the sound of the Silvers on this bass, I missed the 'bounce' I get with the Rockabillys so off they came and on they went on to my Eminence EUB, which I use for jazz.

I normally like Velvet Garbos on the Eminence and these Silvers are actually a pretty good substitute - not bad considering the Velvets cost more than double the price of the Silvers. They're a touch lighter in tension than the Velvets and although they lack some of the harmonic detail, they work very well with the less resonant Eminence, giving a rather nice woody sound. The G in particular, sounds great - clear and defined but not nasal. I'm beginning to think that I prefer the Silvers to the Velvets on this bass, so, until the next Basschatter comes along or Daf asks for them back, these strings are staying exactly where they are.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had the super silvers for a while now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts...

My direct comparison is with a set of Golden Slaps that were on my bass prior. My motivation for trying them was that i was unhappy with the response of the GS E string, I felt the tension was a bit too low and the string didn't respond too well to slapping and seemed to choke on the board.

The first thing I noticed when I'd changed over was how much darker the SS set was, altho' volume wise I didn't specifically notice any difference. Having said that the strings did project well in an acoustic setting with acoustic guitar and vocals, but it could be assumed that could be down to a stronger fundamental I suppose.

Amplified, both sets performed well (and I've received positive unsolicited comments at gigs re the tone of the bass with both sets) altho' I run a multiFX unit with a couple of parametric eq models to tame feedback which might blur any differences between the two sets.

After a couple of weeks I decided I wasn't too keen on the the SS Gstring, so swapped back to the GS, and I'm pretty happy with that. Since I was happy with the GS D&G strings, I've decided to invest in an SS Estring and then use the golden slaps for the other three.

So there we have it, the original 'experiment' was a success and I'm happy with my strings and set-up (for now.....)

Thanks for organising this Daf, I'll await a pm from next in line if there is one - but pls don't rush, I could do with waiting till the new E arrives ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

There has been some confusion recently about what to do when you've finished with the strings, so just a reminder for everyone...

There's a list in the opening post of each topic that I update as often as I can, so you can keep an eye on where the strings are and also see who you need to contact when you're done with them. -

(But it's all in the terms and conditions thread, which everyone has, of course, read... ;) :D )

Cheers,
Daf :)

Thanks Fellrunner that's great news! - glad you like them. :)
As there's no one else waiting I'll PM you my address and you can send them back to me whenever you're ready - no rush... unless someone else decides to give them a go... Might as well wait until your new ones arrive... :)
Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis