Why become a member? ×

gibson 3 point bridge replacement

paul torch

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I'm just about to replace the bridge on my Gibson SG with a Schaller 3D.

My question is regarding the "bushes" that are set into the body to hold the 3 point bridge. Should I leave them in place? I am assuming the the earth wire is connected to one of these, if I place the schaller bridge so that it makes contact with these will this be enough for earthing?

Cheers,

Paul

I still don't understand why you're putting yourself (and your bass) through all this bother, particularly when there's a Supertone available right now in the Classifieds: http://basschat.co.uk/classifieds/item/51-hipshot-supertone-gibson-style-bridge-chrome/ which will fit straight on, no need to worry about earthing or bushes or drilling holes in your bass.

This is the last time I'll mention it. To answer your question then yes, in theory as long as they're touching metal to metal then it should be enough for earthing. But are the tops of the bushes proud of, flush with or recessed into the top of the body?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354019706' post='1880835']
I still don't understand why you're putting yourself (and your bass) through all this bother, particularly when there's a Supertone available right now in the Classifieds: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/classifieds/item/51-hipshot-supertone-gibson-style-bridge-chrome/"]http://basschat.co.u...-bridge-chrome/[/url] which will fit straight on, no need to worry about earthing or bushes or drilling holes in your bass.

This is the last time I'll mention it. To answer your question then yes, in theory as long as they're touching metal to metal then it should be enough for earthing. But are the tops of the bushes proud of, flush with or recessed into the top of the body?
[/quote]

The only reason that I am going with the schaller bridge is that I already have one and don't really want to shell out for another. I've already used it on another bass and I was really happy with it.

The bushes sit flush with the top of the body.

Ach, leave 'em then. They would only cause you bother if they were proud, obviously and you might cause even more trauma getting them removed. Have to make sure that it's touching metal to metal though when the bridge is screwed down. Perhaps something like a thin strip of self adhesive copper tape (shielding/slug tape) bent over the edge of the bush to the body underneath the bridge might ensure this?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354021677' post='1880871']
Ach, leave 'em then. They would only cause you bother if they were proud, obviously and you might cause even more trauma getting them removed. Have to make sure that it's touching metal to metal though when the bridge is screwed down. Perhaps something like a thin strip of self adhesive copper tape (shielding/slug tape) bent over the edge of the bush to the body underneath the bridge might ensure this?
[/quote]

cheers, that sounds like good advice.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354019706' post='1880835']
I still don't understand why you're putting yourself (and your bass) through all this bother, particularly when there's a Supertone available right now in the Classifieds: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/classifieds/item/51-hipshot-supertone-gibson-style-bridge-chrome/"]http://basschat.co.u...-bridge-chrome/[/url] which will fit straight on, no need to worry about earthing or bushes or drilling holes in your bass.

[/quote]

I've been giving some thought to the super tone bridge.

Would it solve the problem of bindings sitting on the saddles? This is one of the main issues I want to solve.

Paul

Probably not, though it depends on the intonation-position of the saddles - I've got a Supertone, and the wrapping of the Rotosound Nickels I tried extended over the saddles on a couple of strings. The strings anchor at the back of the bridge, but they're well recessed, so it's not a great distance from string end to saddle.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1354102261' post='1882000']
I've been giving some thought to the super tone bridge.

Would it solve the problem of bindings sitting on the saddles? This is one of the main issues I want to solve.

Paul
[/quote]

Well, it doesn't buy you much distance over the three point bridge, maybe a ball end's worth.

Here it is on an Epiphone EB-3. The strings are D'addario XL. They are unsilked, but the ratty bit doesn't go over the E saddle. Of course it depends on the intonation on the particular bass, and how much silk there is on your particular preferred strings.

Thanks neepheid. Yeah, it looks as though the hipshot bridge doesn't help the binding/saddle issue. I'm looking to change my strings first of all to see if that helps.

The reason I'm having second thoughts over the Schaller bridge is that after measuring up yesterday it appears that the new screw holes will not be hidden if I was to change back to the three point bridge.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1354103511' post='1882017']
does anyone know if there is an outlet in the uk for one of those "mod-bars"?
[/quote]

The only place I've ever seen those is eBay. I thought they were a project by one enterprising individual, rather than something produced commercially with distribution. The question is whether they're worth it. I'm not convinced silks over the saddle is a problem.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1354189885' post='1883242']
The only place I've ever seen those is eBay. I thought they were a project by one enterprising individual, rather than something produced commercially with distribution. The question is whether they're worth it. I'm not convinced silks over the saddle is a problem.
[/quote]

yeah, I was thinking it may be a nice little project for my bro'.

I think the bindings on a saddle must make a difference to tone, just depends what tone you are after.

Just bought a set of LaBellas to see if it makes a difference.