Why become a member? ×

Week's residential course in London with Danny Thompson, 25-29 March 2013

Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1354650226' post='1888794']
PS, I just spotted that March 29th is Good Friday. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder for folks to attend
[/quote]

That makes it a go-er for me, I've only got 4 days leave left until the 1st April so I've registered my intent as well!

Regarding Good Friday, I pointed it out to the friendly lady organiser, Bree, and she said:

"Easter comes early next year! I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. I guess it could go two ways, with some people happy to have the holiday already in place. Unfortunately it's the time we have allocated for the Bass School so we'll have to make the most of it!"

I am pencilled in for this course :)

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly.

[quote]
Dear All

Thank you so much for your interest in Danny Thompson's Bass School.
Unfortunately we're going to have to postpone the class due to scheduling
issues which we can't accommodate in that period.

At this point in time, I'm unsure as to when this can go ahead again but you
will be the first to know if any new plans do come up. Danny is keen to do
this class and we will do our best to make it happen.

I apologise again for this but thank you for all your support.

All the best for 2013!

Kind regards
Bree

Bree Ishikawa | Paul Crockford Management
DANNY THOMPSON
[/quote]

B+gger. Wonder if it was the Easter Weekend clash (which I pointed out to Bree) that did for the hotel's willingness to accommodate the event? I think they were after 20 or so attendees so I see no reason why thlack of interest explains this. Humbug!

Hi All,

The event was being held in Mill Hill School and we were going to be using the schools boarding rooms for our accomodation.
However, the school is also running other activities/camps over the Easter period, so I am guessing that is where the "scheduling" issue was.

Bree did tell me that it was going to be limited to about 25 students, so maybe that is why it was not widely adverstised.
I am sure they would have got enough interest to get make the course viable.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1354458915' post='1886129']
As a comparison, next year's jazz summer school at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama costs £595, including accommodation but excluding meals and drinks. And of course, they won't have Danny Thompson and it won't be focussed on the beautiful big double bass. No parking either, free or otherwise.

Clarky - I'm longing to meet Boris Johnson with a bass. Do come! In fact, loads of us could go and finally have the big double bass bash that has been not happening for about five years ...
[/quote]

Anyone else going to Cardiff this Summer? I've taken the plunge and booked.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Clarky had the good idea of writing on Danny Thompson's wall on FB, asking about the course, and I joined in - here is the exchange:

[quote]

(Clarky) Hi there! Any news of replacement dates for the double bass residential course, Danny and team?

(Silvia) I was going to email Bree this coming week! I would be grateful for any info too.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/therealdannythompson?ref=stream"]Danny Thompson[/url] Unfortunately no date in the near future. You will be the first to know if anything does crop up! - Bree

[/quote]

Sigh. :unsure:

Edited by bluejay

More bad news from Bree, as we feared.

[quote]
[b] Dear Lovers of Bass

Thank you all for your support of Danny's Bass School Love In that was scheduled for this spring. We just wanted to let you know that unfortunately we won't be able to accommodate it at any point this year.

Danny is extremely disappointed about this but is still very keen to make it happen one day. Shall that day come, you will all be the first to know about it!

- Bree @ [url="https://www.facebook.com/paulcrockfordmanagement?group_id=0"]Paul Crockford Management[/url][/b]

[/quote]