Why become a member? ×

Week's residential course in London with Danny Thompson, 25-29 March 2013

Clarky

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151282301008164&set=a.10150654335163164.416756.180920218163&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook....&type=1[/url]

Would love to attend but doubt I will be able to given work and limited holiday allowance

Edit: I might just use up some of my holiday allowance on this anyway :)

Edited by Clarky

Oh boy, this is right up my street.......and I just bought an extra weeks holiday through my works flex bens. Thanks for posting Clarky. Funnily enough, I sent my wife to a similar thing for fiddle players in Nashville a few years back for Christmas. It must be my turn!

This [quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354296362' post='1884623']
Wow!
It's almost worth taking up playing double bass just to attend that.
[/quote]
Anyone know how much it is. I can't go (assuming I'll still have a job next March) but given that it's residential and includes meals it's not likely to be cheap.

Cheers Clarky. I've sent an email as requested on the farcebook page and am eagerly waiting for a response. I am also waiting for my brother to return my call or answer my text. I am waiting for my luthier to finish working on my new to me bass and he is waiting for an endpin to arrive. I am waiting for my husband to return with beer (hooray) and of course, we are all waiting for christmas. For christmas, I would like to have some patience.

Here is the reply I had from Bree about the double bass love in - with the email address for a copy of the PDF which has more details about the course:

Hi Sarah

Thanks so much for getting in touch and we would love to have you there! I've attached a PDF with a bit more information but at this point, we're just getting an idea of how many people would be interested and then we can determine how much it will cost. If you need a rough estimate, we're looking at around £650 for the week, room, board and meals all included.

In the mean time, if you have absolutely any questions at all specifically, please do let me know!

Kind regards
Bree

[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size=1][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][color=rgb(107, 107, 107)][font=Calibri]Bree Ishikawa [/font][/color]| [color=rgb(107, 107, 107)][font=Calibri][b]Paul Crockford Management [/b][/font][/color][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size=1][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="#6b6b6b"]DANNY THOMPSON[/color][/size][/font][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[font=Helvetica]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size=1][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size="2"][color="#6b6b6b"][font=Helvetica][font="Calibri"]272 Latimer Road, London W10 6QY[/font][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/font][font=Helvetica]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size=1][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size="2"][color="#6b6b6b"][font=Helvetica][font="Calibri"][b]Tel[/b] +44 (0) 208 962 8272 [/font][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/font][font=Helvetica]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size=1][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Helvetica][size="2"][color="#6b6b6b"][font=Helvetica][font="Calibri"][b]Email[/b] [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/font][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/font]

Hi Sarah, I had a similar email and also asked about non-residential attendance (being since I am a Londoner). Bree said

"There would be a day rate if you wanted to commute to and from and that would be about £100 less than the quoted fee. Lunches, snacks and tea would still be included for you and we would be able to provide parking at no charge."

As a comparison, next year's jazz summer school at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama costs £595, including accommodation but excluding meals and drinks. And of course, they won't have Danny Thompson and it won't be focussed on the beautiful big double bass. No parking either, free or otherwise.

Clarky - I'm longing to meet Boris Johnson with a bass. Do come! In fact, loads of us could go and finally have the big double bass bash that has been not happening for about five years ...

Tempted! But I don't have a DB - only an upright - and I'm a leftie, so I couldn't borrow one, and I see it all as rather tricky...

Please keep us posted with any more info as and when you receive it. Thank you Clarky for mentioning this in the first place!

Edited by bluejay

Oh my, this must be the fastest reply time to a request of info I've [b]ever[/b] had.
In reply to an email I sent a few minutes ago, Bree has emailed me the PDFs you guys got too, [i]and[/i] has confirmed that they can provide me with a left-handed DB (free of charge) for the duration of the event.
Wow. I guess I better start saving right now - Christmas is officially cancelled as of this moment or - more precisely - it's been put back to the end of March :D